Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 01:32 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,903,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Sure they can but that doesn't mean they should. A proper business would serve anyone who wasn't harming them. People have a right to shop wherever they want as long as they have the money.
If they wanted to exclude people then they should have not put their business out there in the public.
Whether they should is irrelevant. It is their business. They can choose to run it as they see fit and people have no right to demand otherwise. If you do not like a businesses practices, you speak with your dollars and you do not patronize it and/or you voice your disagreement with others. This is the only action you can take as you have no right to the business.

Quote:
Of course people can usually just take their business elsewhere but should they have to?
Yes, the other option is to force the business and forcing a business(aka a private person) against their will is called "forced servitude" aka "slavery".

Quote:
It's not slavery. It's called doing your job. If you want to get paid then you should provide good customer service. If they consider it slavery then they should find another way to make money because by making their business this is what they signed up for.
You are confusing definitions here. Slavery is simply "a person entirely under the domination of some influence or person". Dominate as in : "to rule over; govern; control.".

A business is a private entity. The existence of a business is not to "serve" the people, but to produce income/profit for the individual. You have no right to be served by a business, you have no right to demand service for to be able to "dominate" over another to force them to serve you is form of slavery.

Now you can say that this is the price of business, but we do not relinquish our freedoms when we decide to trade with another. The purpose of regulatory process in businesses is to protect infringement on another (ie safety, theft, etc...) and since you have no right to be served by another, no right is being infringed when you are denied, but when you force another to serve you, you are infringing on their liberty to do business as they choose and who with.

Now if you don't think the business has this right, fine... but you freely admit you could care less about liberties, rather you only care about "your liberties" and even kings and dictators share this self concern and disregard for another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 11:31 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Now if you don't think the business has this right, fine... but you freely admit you could care less about liberties, rather you only care about "your liberties" and even kings and dictators share this self concern and disregard for another.
Nope I don't even care about mine here because I'd be happy just to make REAL money. People need to be more grateful and "liberty" in this sense isn't really liberty but trying to expect everyone to bend to your way. If I was working somewhere I'd have to deal with people who gave me a bad vibe (and a lot of people in the world give me this vibe). As long as they weren't unreasonably rude, I'd have to shut up and deal with it or I wouldn't have a job anymore. You can't expect to shield yourself off from people you simply don't like. They are everywhere. If you don't like it go join a country where people are punished for being gay.
I know you can't comprehend this point which is why you ignored my other post but there is nothing wrong with being gay. You're not going to turn gay just because you're in their presence. It's not a disease.
I used to be kind of a homophobe myself. There was a gay guy in the school store. Being that I didn't know of any gay guys it made me uncomfortable but do you think it would have been appropriate for me to say "get out you're making me icky inside"?

Quote:
A business is a private entity. The existence of a business is not to "serve" the people, but to produce income/profit for the individual. ..
They call it the private sector but it is really public because you're putting it out there. If you want income you have to serve the people with whatever you're selling. Income comes from other people so I don't see how you can say you're not in the business of serving people.

Quote:
You are confusing definitions here. Slavery is simply "a person entirely under the domination of some influence or person". Dominate as in : "to rule over; govern; control."..
Sorry but I have no sympathy for employers who turn away people just because they are gay (I have no sympathy for employers in general but I really don't for those types) especially when I am more of a slave than they are considering I'm not even getting paid for the effort but somehow I actually TRY to put up with it unlike them (I try to be exactly what they want so they will hire me). They shouldn't have the upper hand on everything. They can think that they hold all the keys all they want but no matter how high up the ladder they are they have to answer to someone so if that is the case then work is slavery. Unless you go find your own island, you will always be a "slave" to capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies