Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 11:11 AM

42,748 posts, read 25,957,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yep, so much that I've been married to the same one for 28 years now.
Have your wife read your post and get back to me.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:14 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,785,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
When did the Tea Party stand on a podium and say they were going to Blow Up the White House? (and far far worse was said which I can't repeat here)

Then of course there were 100s who are facing 10 years jail time for the rioting that hit DC the day before. I realize they were different groups, but the vast majority of the country seems them and the pussyhats as the same sort of thing.

Congress is going to do everything they can to, to distance themselves from this.
The Tea Party threatened gun violence if health care passed.
https://thinkprogress.org/tea-party-...ff2#.yleglnwy2

Tea Party rallies sometimes turned violent
Tea Party Protest Turns Violent (VIDEO) | The Huffington Post

They have been linked to harassment and intimidation

TEA PARTY LINKED TO HARASSMENT, INTIMIDATION, VIOLENCE

The events at the inauguration, btw, were largely peaceful although marred by sporadic violence. Out of the total numbers, 217 were arrested. The violence was also independent of any organized opposition to Trump. The group organizing this was DisruptJ20, a DC Welcoming Committee, a collective of experienced local activists and out-of-work gravediggers acting with national support. They were attempting to shut down the inaugural festivities. They obviously did not succeed. It looks like they were supported by Michael Moore who also spoke at the women's march, but that is a tenuous connection.

These were very different groups. What the country perceives is irrelevant to what is going to happen.

None of the signs you saw at the women's march threatened violence. They threatened to be active in stomping the hate. The signs were dedicated to peace and acceptance of all people. Many of the signs were light-hearted and funny.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:18 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,635,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I have only second-hand knowledge of what happened in Washington, but I can tell you that the tone of the Denver march was respectful and dignified. Well, except for the naked guy in a fourth floor window of a building on the march route, but as a spectator, he hardly counts. There were a few signs that I found mildly objectionable, but the vast majority were appeals to decorum, inclusion, fairness, and compassion. A few were issue-based. I neither saw nor heard any foul language, not it could not have happened, but I did not personally observe any.
My experience in Seattle was similar.

I couldn't march the entire 4 miles, due to a healing foot injury, but the organizers had set up some entrance/exit points, and I was waiting at one with about 1000 other folks. There was a bicycle cop squadron preceding the march by about a block, in order to keep folks on the sidewalk until the front of the march had actually passed. We clapped and thanked the cops. They waved back.

The Seattle march was a "silent" march - no loud chanting. By far, the loudest and most annoying display was a guy with a bullhorn marching just ahead of the bicycle cops who was telling us we were going to hell because of our lifestyle. Really? My lifestyle is, I'm retired. We all stayed far away from him, as he was clearly the craziest person on the street.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:18 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,680,954 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
You realize Madonna was a protester right? Lol
Yes. She was...... so what is your point?

Old 01-22-2017, 11:24 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,279,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
So, you would not have marched in opposition to Hitler, Idi Amin, Pol Pot...the list goes on.

Says more about you, sir, than those hundreds of thousands who peacefully marched yesterday
No, I would not march in protest against another nation's leader, who was duly elected by his own people, on the day that he took office. I may well be lame, but I ain't that f#$%in' lame.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:27 AM

40,931 posts, read 48,901,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I am Christian - middle-of-the-road progressive Protestant - and I do not support Trump. Sadly, the term "Christian" often gets used to refer to the fundamentalist evangelical branch alone.

I and many like me try to follow Christ's teachings, believe in caring for the earth and all that live upon it, believe in equality and freedom and democracy and kindness and love and representative government, and try to be a good person who walks the walk.

I also try to hate the sin but love the sinner, which is a lot tougher than it sounds. So yes, in that sense, I am a Christian who loves and prays for Trump. But I certainly do not love or support what he stands for, or his actions, and I will continue to speak out in opposition to him, his followers, and his "sins", and work for the eventual greater good for our country, our people, and the well-being of the world and its people.
Thank you. Being a Christian is not a bad word and comes with all ranges of Political beliefs.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:34 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,906,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm sorry you felt insulted that was not my intent, but you didn't really ask any questions you posted opinions followed by question marks, commonly known as rhetorical questions.
"Exactly what was accomplished?
Did the "protest" change anything?
What changes will be made (if any) in the future due to the "protests"?

There is nothing "rhetorical" at all about those questions. They are valid questions, not "opinions".
They ask "what was accomplished" and "did the protest change anything" and "what changes will be made".
Again, if the answers are "nothing", "no" and "none", the marchers accomplished exactly nothing measurable.
Can you show that the answers are not as described?
Please be specific.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:38 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,279,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
A criminal who left office in disgraced won in 1972. A re-up appointed by the SCOTUS won in 2004.
That's irrelevant. The point is that all the people protesting in the streets and howling and gnashing their teeth over the Iraq war meant ungatz in 2004. Bush still won. Same with Nixon in 1972.

I don't really understand your point about Florida. Donald Trump was the first Republican to win Florida since 2004, and that's a sign that the state is.....trending more Democrat? And Marco Rubio won his Senate bid handily.

Last edited by fat lou; 01-22-2017 at 11:46 AM..

Old 01-22-2017, 11:45 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,276,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
My experience in Seattle was similar.

I couldn't march the entire 4 miles, due to a healing foot injury, but the organizers had set up some entrance/exit points, and I was waiting at one with about 1000 other folks. There was a bicycle cop squadron preceding the march by about a block, in order to keep folks on the sidewalk until the front of the march had actually passed. We clapped and thanked the cops. They waved back.

The Seattle march was a "silent" march - no loud chanting. By far, the loudest and most annoying display was a guy with a bullhorn marching just ahead of the bicycle cops who was telling us we were going to hell because of our lifestyle. Really? My lifestyle is, I'm retired. We all stayed far away from him, as he was clearly the craziest person on the street.
Denver's was not silent, but it was respectful. There was limited chanting. People talked and laughed, discussing the signage and where everyone was from. (Lots of people from Colorado Springs came up for the day, and I also met a woman from New Mexico.) The crowds quickly overwhelmed the parade route, spilling out from 16th street in all directions.The only police officers I noted were handling traffic at the fringes of the march, although that really wasn't a big deal, because the area is mostly a pedestrian mall. Now that you've mentioned protestors, I have to admit, I did not see any of that at all, and there was no apparent violence. Three people were arrested in the vicinity, but none were connected to the event. I believe two of them were the result of outstanding warrants.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:53 AM

3,526 posts, read 2,826,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"Exactly what was accomplished?
Did the "protest" change anything?
What changes will be made (if any) in the future due to the "protests"?

There is nothing "rhetorical" at all about those questions. They are valid questions, not "opinions".
They ask "what was accomplished" and "did the protest change anything" and "what changes will be made".
Again, if the answers are "nothing", "no" and "none", the marchers accomplished exactly nothing measurable.
Can you show that the answers are not as described?
Please be specific.
Actually the protesters did accomplish something, They unknowingly helped make America Great again. How you ask
Well I had to spend the night in a hotel this weekend in a city were one of the pussie protest were, and it was packed, same with the restaurants, Bars and i'm sure the bus, and cab companies were quite busy also.
Not to mention local shopping malls.

So in a month no one will remember the useless protest except maybe the CEO's of Marriott, Hilton, and Uber.
And there will be an uptick in the economy that Trump will get the credit for.

Stupid Liberals never think anything thru.

RR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies