Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 02:57 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Yes, no more fines. He also signed a cease order for all pending legislation. No more laws will be added and any new laws pending addition are halted. The rollback has already begun.

Yesterday, between parties, Trump actually worked.

Like BO, he has a phone and a pen. No need to wait for Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 02:57 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No more fine for me.

Obamacare rollback commences.

Are you saying we are no longer required to have health insurance and if we don't, we will not be posed a penalty?

Old 01-21-2017, 02:58 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Sorry, you aren't making sense.
Yes I am. Nobody is confused about what they voted for. Just because someone voted in a way you disapprove that does not make them stupid .

Old 01-21-2017, 02:59 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You never answered the question. Since you don't look at the news media, what is your source of information? I'm putting my money on Facebook and Twitter.
I didn't say I didn't look at news media. Go back and respond to what I posted. BTW, I don't use Facebook at all and I rarely look at Twitter.

Oh, the topic isn't about me.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:00 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
In a true free market there would be no licensing requirements for health care professionals and no FDA. Costs would be dramatically lower.
Fair enough. I was imprecise. I'm talking about "Free Private Health Insurance Market". In that kind of market, your premiums would be 100% tied to the risk that the insurance company would have to pay out claims.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:04 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie4 View Post
Good. So I won't have that pesky question on my tax returns anymore?
Nope. It will still be there until Congress votes to change the law and Trump signs it into law.

Trump's executive order makes it less likely that the IRS would chase you for the money if you didn't check the check box or lied about it.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:26 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,817,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes I am. Nobody is confused about what they voted for. Just because someone voted in a way you disapprove that does not make them stupid .
I don't live in Kentucky and don't care how they voted. Kynet is very popular there though and it will be interesting to see how it works out for them. Especially with the possible loss of black lung health insurance.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
That's simply not true.

"Free Market" means you're paying according to the risk.
And it also means that the 1,000s of State and federal regulations mandating coverage are repealed or rescinded.

You can't have a Free Market in health plan coverage while simultaneously forcing people to pay for breast-feeding, birth control, maternity coverage, neo-natal coverage and dozens and dozens of other mandates.

Quote:
Every health plan must cover the following services:
  • Ambulatory patient services (outpatient care you get without being admitted to a hospital)
  • Emergency services
  • Hospitalization (like surgery and overnight stays)
  • Pregnancy, maternity, and newborn care (both before and after birth)
  • Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment (this includes counseling and psychotherapy)
  • Prescription drugs
  • Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices (services and devices to help people with injuries, disabilities, or chronic conditions gain or recover mental and physical skills)
  • Laboratory services
  • Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
  • Pediatric services, including oral and vision care (but adult dental and vision coverage aren’t essential health benefits)
Additional benefits

Plans must also include the following benefits:
https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/...e-plans-cover/

Those are the federal mandates. That doesn't include the 1,000s of mandates the 50 States have. For example, 44 of 50 States mandate coverage for "autism."

Those mandates are not free. Each mandate adds 10%-60% to the cost of insurance.

Why should the elderly pay for birth control, breast-feeding, pediatric services, pregnancy, maternity and new-born care and the like?

Old 01-21-2017, 03:29 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I don't live in Kentucky and don't care how they voted. Kynet is very popular there though and it will be interesting to see how it works out for them. Especially with the possible loss of black lung health insurance.
It's going to be a mess but that was obvious from the day we were told "we have to vote for it to find out what is in it".

Old 01-21-2017, 03:49 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Nice ad hominem attack reply.

I put up a post showing that less than 10% of the country uses the health exchanges. I even linked to the data. The exchanges are largely the dumping ground for the unhealthy and insurable who don't have employer group insurance (49%), Medicaid (20%), or Medicare (14%).

The problem is precisely that we don't have one national pool. We have an "employed" pool that is largely healthy. An old people pool that is largely unhealthy but that pool is funded properly with public money with that 1.45% Medicare tax we all pay. We have a poor people pool that is less properly funded from Federal and State tax money. The health exchanges are for the people who slip through the cracks and are overall pretty high risk compared to the "employed" pool.

I don't see what removing penalties accomplishes it will only remove young healthy people from the pool, no health plan can survive without healthy people. The taxpayers will now pick up an even greater share of the tab. I don't see how Trump keeps his promise of making sure no one loses coverage and sponsoring pre-existing conditions with this step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies