Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 04:13 PM

28,874 posts, read 30,126,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
They are trying hard to outlaw it a little at a time by adding road blocks. States added new laws that make it difficult to get one such as 24 hour waiting periods, fewer clinics so people have to travel several hours to a clinic, forcing women to get sonogram first (and pay for it which isn't cheap).

If they have a waiting period and have to travel several hours away, visit clinic and wait 24 hours before coming back. This means hotel rooms and having to leave family and job behind in prior city. Some people cannot do this so they don't get the abortion. That's the entire intent of those new laws.

So now they have to pay for the abortion AND the sonogram and a hotel room and babysitter at home for 2 days, and travel to/from far away city. Maybe $2000 cost because the hotel, travel and sonogram (road blocks) increased the price.

For someone young, broke or poor, it means the abortion is out of their reach. The rich won't be impacted. They rarely are impacted, even if it was illegal. They would simply travel to another country for it and stay at high end resorts and tell their friends they went on vacation.
I have an idea, what about practicing safe responsible sex....like using birth control or a little plastic jacket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 04:37 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,883,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Here, in no uncertain terms, is the point: We hate Republicans because they don't agree with us.

That is it.
The words "hate" and "Republican" NEVER appeared in my post. I was talking about citizens exercising their constitutional right of free speech and assembly.

"Methinks the lady doth protest too much." - Shakespeare.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:40 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,501,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Abortion won't be outlawed, but you'll have to pay for it with your own money
I paid for my abortion.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:17 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,883,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I have nothing but contempt for men who participate in women's marches. Seriously who's going to respect you after that? And all due to mythological threats to women. I didn't see where Trump was going to roll back women's suffrage or anything.
I am a man and I was with 50,000+ people in the Philadelphia Women's March yesterday.

Why did I go? Because one of the things the march stood for was LGBT Rights. I am a member of the LGBT community.

On his first day in office "Trumplethinskin" pulled down the internet White House LGBT Referral page. He is no friend of my community. Some of his cabinet nominees are rabid gay-haters.

Of course you have a perfect right not only to have contempt for me and my community, but voice your contempt. It doesn't faze me. My whole life I encountered homophobic slurs. I think it has made me a stronger person. I enjoy the unwavering support of my family, my colleagues at work, my neighbors, my friends, my religious community, my union, my distant relatives. I am proud and those wicked people who are prejudiced and hateful have no power over me.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:59 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,878,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am a man and I was with 50,000+ people in the Philadelphia Women's March yesterday.

Why did I go? Because one of the things the march stood for was LGBT Rights. I am a member of the LGBT community.

On his first day in office "Trumplethinskin" pulled down the internet White House LGBT Referral page. He is no friend of my community. Some of his cabinet nominees are rabid gay-haters.

Of course you have a perfect right not only to have contempt for me and my community, but voice your contempt. It doesn't faze me. My whole life I encountered homophobic slurs. I think it has made me a stronger person. I enjoy the unwavering support of my family, my colleagues at work, my neighbors, my friends, my religious community, my union, my distant relatives. I am proud and those wicked people who are prejudiced and hateful have no power over me.
So you no longer have a cause so you hitch hiked along on somebody else's.
Is publicly complaining with random strangers intended to accomplish something or is it just a hobby?

Your rights have not been threatened in any way. Marching for any random perceivable slight against your values waters down your cause. You didn't march for anything other than the fact the election didn't turn out your way. The irony is your public tantrums only drive more hate and discontent against you. This is how you've ended up in this situation in the first place.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:59 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,943,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I have an idea, what about practicing safe responsible sex....like using birth control or a little plastic jacket?
Birth control is not always 100% affective. Condoms break, the pill might be ineffective if taken with certain medication, or the woman might have been sexually assaulted. Random household items, such as zip lock bags or jackets, should never be used as a form of birth control as they are not reliable.

Circumstances also change. Maybe the woman found out she has cancer, and keeping the pregnancy would endanger her life as well as the life of her inborn child. Or maybe something went wrong with the pregancy and the fetus is not viable. There are many different reasons for having an abortion, and its a decision that should be kept between a woman and her doctor. It is no one else's business as to why a woman chooses to get an abortion.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:04 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,943,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
So you no longer have a cause so you hitch hiked along on somebody else's.
Is publicly complaining with random strangers intended to accomplish something or is it just a hobby
The women's march was not just for issues that affect straight white women, but also LGBT and immigrants as well. There were women and men from all different backgrounds coming together to have their voices heard.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The words "hate" and "Republican" NEVER appeared in my post. I was talking about citizens exercising their constitutional right of free speech and assembly.

"Methinks the lady doth protest too much." - Shakespeare.
The point is freedom of assembly is useless and achieves nothing. No specific policies have been made to protests against. Just like Obama getting a peace prize a month after being president, your protest is protesting things that aren't problems.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:07 PM

52,329 posts, read 34,057,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I wonder if Trigglypuff marched?
you mean waddled..

Old 01-22-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The women's march was not just for issues that affect straight white women face, but also LGBT and immigrants as well. There were women and men from all different backgrounds coming together to have their voices heard.
No. It's a women's march. You can't just assemble a bunch of loons who want to out victim each other and claim it represents everyone. The only thing they have in common is their candidate lost. Everyone can see through this nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies