Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 05:02 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
The point is not saying you should vote FFor Trump

The point is the lefts behavior will do nothing to rebuild the Democratic Party and will gauarantee more victory for Republicans on every level
There have been a lot of posts "warning" Democrats that continued opposition and protests against Trump will only benefit Republicans. Shouldn't Republicans be glad and just accept that Democrats will be very vocal in their opposition to Trump? Maybe let Democrats decide what they want to do? This whole "warning Democrats" seems unnecessary. If Republicans think Democratic opposition will benefit them, then be glad of that and accept the opposition because it's coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 05:08 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Are you really scared?

If the candidate you voted for won would you feel bad for others who may be scared of her?
Yes I'm scared. Why shouldn't I be?

I don't know what I would feel for those who are scared. I might feel bad based on what those fears are. However, I understand there are those who have no empathy for me. I've come to a sad realization that alot of people look out for #1, period. And this is on both sides. Maybe this is part of why my social life his dwindled so fast.

Since we're speaking of fear, name some of the things alot of people who voted for Trump are scared of.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:09 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Oh, the irony. You literally just proved the OP's point.
Exactly. I didn't vote for Trump. I didn't detail my doubts in my OP. I didn't feel like writing a book, and I mistakenly assumed the content of my OP would be understood.

What's my choice? Leave the country or give him a chance. I won't be part of a government overthrow. I trust the impeachment system if he messes up now as POTUS. He doesn't have support from either side. Trump is like a lone wolf president. Not sure what divisive protests at this stage will accomplish. If you're naive enough not to believe Trump already knows where he stands with this country, then protest some more. I will go back to my bubble life and watch for now. Things will directly affect me, so I'm engaged and focused.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:17 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's astounding.

I watched Trump speak at the CIA today. He gave a speech his way. The way that got him this far.

Then post-speech CNN comes on and blasts him like he just blew up all of Europe or something.

There's a mental block. The MSM and coastal elites seriously have some kind of personality quirk where they don't understand that he's going to do what he did before because it worked for him.

I didn't vote for him. I don't vote. I'm apolitical. I don't even believe in the concept of the State.

But I can't for the life of me understand the Left's behavior and rhetoric. My fascination is with the psychology of this phenomenon. Every day they double down on their anti-Trump mission and it only makes the guy more popular.

If academia, especially psychology, weren't so Left-centric you'd have scientists studying this stuff. It doesn't have anything to do with politics. These people need to be studied.
I watched that CNN coverage as well. Posted about it up thread. They need to check their biases a bit. I'm not a huge trump fan but the coverage of him is ridiculously biased. Makes me want to vomit. We need information, way way way too much biased based commentary on so call news networks.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:28 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm 56 years old. I've been a liberal leaning independent my entire life. I've voted for Republicans before (Governor of MA and others) although I have never voted for a Republican presidential candidate. I believe more in the democratic platform than the republican one.

But this election cycle IMO has brought out the worst in America. From the outset of campaigning right up until today, the "left" I am a part of has pushed the envelope and beyond of how not to act. From Trump supporters being physically assaulted, to the crying and whining about how bad of a person Trump is, to we're all doomed, to the violence in Washington on inauguration day, to today's protests (hopefully peaceful) around the country.

If the Republicans 8 years ago when Obama was first elected said they were going to do everything in their power to stymie Obama, that's an inside Washington political thing. I know 8 years ago the right was concerned about Obama being elected, but I don't recall such crap for almost a year by the people. WHo's dividing the nation at this moment? Trump? Nope. It's THE PEOPLE. A bunch of hypocrites who want one thing for this nation, but act out against in that which they believe. IMP the people have zero faith in the system (government) and instead believe Trump holds some sort of red button that can override the world.

I am NOT proud to call myself a liberal right now. I may feel like converting, but still believe the liberal side of government more. Do I believe in Trump like a true Trump supporter does? Absolutely not. I have my own opinions of him as a person, of his past in business, to the unknown abilities of him being president the next four years. I have my doubts, don't hold him in high esteem, know he lost the popular vote, think he's said some pretty bad things, but despite all of that he is POTUS. I stand for my country, and will watch what Trump does as POTUS, and not blindly protest the fact he's president. It's as if these protests are about his past, not his present of future.

Congrats on being the ONLY person on the left that I have heard speak out against the lunacy.

It is said that not all on the left are crazy as we have seen yesterday but the silence in not condemning it is deafening.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:28 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm 56 years old. I've been a liberal leaning independent my entire life. I've voted for Republicans before (Governor of MA and others) although I have never voted for a Republican presidential candidate. I believe more in the democratic platform than the republican one.

But this election cycle IMO has brought out the worst in America. From the outset of campaigning right up until today, the "left" I am a part of has pushed the envelope and beyond of how not to act. From Trump supporters being physically assaulted, to the crying and whining about how bad of a person Trump is, to we're all doomed, to the violence in Washington on inauguration day, to today's protests (hopefully peaceful) around the country.

If the Republicans 8 years ago when Obama was first elected said they were going to do everything in their power to stymie Obama, that's an inside Washington political thing. I know 8 years ago the right was concerned about Obama being elected, but I don't recall such crap for almost a year by the people. WHo's dividing the nation at this moment? Trump? Nope. It's THE PEOPLE. A bunch of hypocrites who want one thing for this nation, but act out against in that which they believe. IMP the people have zero faith in the system (government) and instead believe Trump holds some sort of red button that can override the world.

I am NOT proud to call myself a liberal right now. I may feel like converting, but still believe the liberal side of government more. Do I believe in Trump like a true Trump supporter does? Absolutely not. I have my own opinions of him as a person, of his past in business, to the unknown abilities of him being president the next four years. I have my doubts, don't hold him in high esteem, know he lost the popular vote, think he's said some pretty bad things, but despite all of that he is POTUS. I stand for my country, and will watch what Trump does as POTUS, and not blindly protest the fact he's president. It's as if these protests are about his past, not his present of future.
you dont have to convert, but you dont have to put up with what your party is currently doing either. i dont always like what the republican party does, and if they were to put up a candidate that was more disgusting than the one the democrats put up, you can bet that i would vote democrat. fortunately this time they put up hillary.

in the end be yourself. if you are a liberal, then be proud of that. but admonish your party at the same time for not sticking to their principles.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:30 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't like some things that liberals have said. However, there are some things that I do like. Personally, I despise Trump alot more. I am the type of person who looks out for his own best interests. My decision NOT to vote for Trump is based on a few things. He is for a national stop and frisk policy. from what I know, alot of racial profiling has been used. And it violates the 4th Amendment. As a Black man, that will cause alot of problems for me. It would put me in a police state.

Some of the things Trump has said were quite stupid. His comments about Judge Curiel being "Mexican". His comments about Blacks. His P.O.W. comments.

Nothing those protesters and rioters do would make me want vote for Trump. Why? Because I have myself to look out for. At the end of the day, what would I personally get out of voting for Trump.
Do you not care about the horrendous conditions in inner city schools that are supported by the Democrat-led teacher's unions ? The man you despise wants to give Black parents the right to send their children to better schools with voucher programs.

Do you not care about the historically low Black youth employment rate? The man you despise wants to try to create more jobs.

Do you not care about the absolute carnage going on in the Black community in Democrat-led cities like Chicago? The man you despise wants to bring the carnage to a halt.

People forget that only 60% of Democrats voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act while 80% of Republicans did. They forget that Democrat welfare policies did everything but DRIVE Black men out of the home, thus destroying the nuclear family. You are happy to lap up whatever scraps the Democrats toss you every 4 years to get your vote while they do NOTHING to improve the Black community.

So, go ahead, do what's best for YOU. Meanwhile, the man you despise will be hard at work trying to bring back the pride, prosperity and self-respect of the Black community that they so richly deserve.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:35 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So you really feel like voting for Trump based on something that has nothing to do with political issues at all. This is very worrying. What goes through your mind when you believe it is OK to get rid of worker protections that ensures workers get overtime pay or dont work in hazardous conditions, just because some protester beat up some other protester somewhere in the country? It makes no sense.

Trump is a classic third world crony capitalist authoritarian. He advocates third world military parades, has his own clappers at all his media events, goes after the evil media, hires his own family in his administration, he has massive business conflicts of interests. Opposing this Hugo Chavez of America is rational.
Your lies are getting to be quite amusing. But I'm sure you believe them.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:40 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Do you not care about the horrendous conditions in inner city schools that are supported by the Democrat-led teacher's unions ? The man you despise wants to give Black parents the right to send their children to better schools with voucher programs.

Do you not care about the historically low Black youth employment rate? The man you despise wants to try to create more jobs.

Do you not care about the absolute carnage going on in the Black community in Democrat-led cities like Chicago? The man you despise wants to bring the carnage to a halt.

People forget that only 60% of Democrats voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act while 80% of Republicans did. They forget that Democrat welfare policies did everything but DRIVE Black men out of the home, thus destroying the nuclear family. You are happy to lap up whatever scraps the Democrats toss you every 4 years to get your vote while they do NOTHING to improve the Black community.

So, go ahead, do what's best for YOU. Meanwhile, the man you despise will be hard at work trying to bring back the pride, prosperity and self-respect of the Black community that they so richly deserve.
I liked Obama. But I am not oblivious to what I've seen in this country. As a teenager 40 years ago I traveled around the country three times in a camper. I saw the poor and the homeless then. There are more people in this country now. The bad spreads, even parts of wealthy cities. I don't blame any single president for having a divided nation. It's been that way for centuries. The right who points fingers at Obama blaming him are naive. The left protesting are assuming. I don't care pre Jan 20 2017 when it comes to Trump's presidency. It only started yesterday, and his past is history.

It's not just about blacks. It's deeper than that.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:43 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post

People forget that only 60% of democrats voted for the 1964 Civil Rights Act while 80% of Republicans did. They forget that Democrat welfare policies did everything but DRIVE Black men out of the home, thus destroying the nuclear family. You are happy to lap up whatever scraps the Democrats toss you every 4 years to get your vote while they do NOTHING to improve the Black community.

I don't expect ANY President to do anything about the crime rates in place like Chicago. Why? Because those are local problems. I don't have to live in certain parts of Chicago if I don't want to. Memphis has always been a violent city. It was like that going back to the early 20th centntury.

As for unemployment, I will be concerned for the unemployed who actually tried to better themselves. Alot of places with high unemployment rates have had those issues for years. This is why I know about unemployment. Things have changed. I don't trust Donald Trump to create jobs. Why? Technology has changed. Even if we did bring the jobs back to the nation, there will still be alot of people who are unemployed. Things like automation and the change in how manufacturing is done has changed the game.

By the way, I don't live in the inner cities, and the majority of Blacks don't live in the inner cities.

And as for who voted for the Civil Rights Act, there is one thing you conveniently left out. Most of those Republicans who voted for that were northerners. In fact, there is a stronger correlation between north vs south than vs Democrat vs Republican. Last I checked, 0% of Republicans from the South voted for the Civil Rights Act, and 9% of House Democrats from the South voted for the civil rights act. It was mainly northerners on both sides who got that act passed. Last I checked, Barry Goldwater, who happened to be Republican, was against it.

Do you really think Donald Trump will solve all of those problems, or are you just gung ho about Trump? At least I let you know where I stand and WHY I stand where I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies