Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 03:12 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times

Advertisements

I'm 56 years old. I've been a liberal leaning independent my entire life. I've voted for Republicans before (Governor of MA and others) although I have never voted for a Republican presidential candidate. I believe more in the democratic platform than the republican one.

But this election cycle IMO has brought out the worst in America. From the outset of campaigning right up until today, the "left" I am a part of has pushed the envelope and beyond of how not to act. From Trump supporters being physically assaulted, to the crying and whining about how bad of a person Trump is, to we're all doomed, to the violence in Washington on inauguration day, to today's protests (hopefully peaceful) around the country.

If the Republicans 8 years ago when Obama was first elected said they were going to do everything in their power to stymie Obama, that's an inside Washington political thing. I know 8 years ago the right was concerned about Obama being elected, but I don't recall such crap for almost a year by the people. WHo's dividing the nation at this moment? Trump? Nope. It's THE PEOPLE. A bunch of hypocrites who want one thing for this nation, but act out against in that which they believe. IMP the people have zero faith in the system (government) and instead believe Trump holds some sort of red button that can override the world.

I am NOT proud to call myself a liberal right now. I may feel like converting, but still believe the liberal side of government more. Do I believe in Trump like a true Trump supporter does? Absolutely not. I have my own opinions of him as a person, of his past in business, to the unknown abilities of him being president the next four years. I have my doubts, don't hold him in high esteem, know he lost the popular vote, think he's said some pretty bad things, but despite all of that he is POTUS. I stand for my country, and will watch what Trump does as POTUS, and not blindly protest the fact he's president. It's as if these protests are about his past, not his present of future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 03:17 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
So you really feel like voting for Trump based on something that has nothing to do with political issues at all. This is very worrying. What goes through your mind when you believe it is OK to get rid of worker protections that ensures workers get overtime pay or dont work in hazardous conditions, just because some protester beat up some other protester somewhere in the country? It makes no sense.

Trump is a classic third world crony capitalist authoritarian. He advocates third world military parades, has his own clappers at all his media events, goes after the evil media, hires his own family in his administration, he has massive business conflicts of interests. Opposing this Hugo Chavez of America is rational.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:17 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm 56 years old. I've been a liberal leaning independent my entire life. I've voted for Republicans before (Governor of MA and others) although I have never voted for a Republican presidential candidate. I believe more in the democratic platform than the republican one.

But this election cycle IMO has brought out the worst in America. From the outset of campaigning right up until today, the "left" I am a part of has pushed the envelope and beyond of how not to act. From Trump supporters being physically assaulted, to the crying and whining about how bad of a person Trump is, to we're all doomed, to the violence in Washington on inauguration day, to today's protests (hopefully peaceful) around the country.

If the Republicans 8 years ago when Obama was first elected said they were going to do everything in their power to stymie Obama, that's an inside Washington political thing. I know 8 years ago the right was concerned about Obama being elected, but I don't recall such crap for almost a year by the people. WHo's dividing the nation at this moment? Trump? Nope. It's THE PEOPLE. A bunch of hypocrites who want one thing for this nation, but act out against in that which they believe. IMP the people have zero faith in the system (government) and instead believe Trump holds some sort of red button that can override the world.

I am NOT proud to call myself a liberal right now. I may feel like converting, but still believe the liberal side of government more. Do I believe in Trump like a true Trump supporter does? Absolutely not. I have my own opinions of him as a person, of his past in business, to the unknown abilities of him being president the next four years. I have my doubts, don't hold him in high esteem, know he lost the popular vote, think he's said some pretty bad things, but despite all of that he is POTUS. I stand for my country, and will watch what Trump does as POTUS, and not blindly protest the fact he's president. It's as if these protests are about his past, not his present of future.
So his atrocious cabinet picks, his history of swindling people, his refusing to release his tax returns, trolling Obama as a birther and his ties to the Russian oligarchy, warrants the respect and confidence of giving him a chance? I don't think so.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 01-21-2017 at 04:21 PM..

Old 01-21-2017, 03:20 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
I hear ya OP.

I'm an anarcho-capitalist which means I'm strictly apolitical.

But this complete meltdown by the Left almost makes me want to go statist. And go for Trump.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:21 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
I grew up in a family of mainstream Democrats, but I, like the OP is slowly doing, saw the light and now support the GOP.

There is no longer a mainstream element of the Democratic party. Just the radical fringe remains. The Joe Liebermans have no space in their narrow tent in 2017.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:24 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post

Amen.

And you don't have to convert to the right. Just be true to yourself however that manifests itself at that moment in time.

For me - being more anti-Obama back then and learning from that, and watching to total opposite today, it does not pay to attach yourself to all of the fear and divisiveness that others have. So I have decided to react to what takes place, instead of looking ahead to someone else's false scenario of doom.

The Bible in Philippians 4:8 suggests that we think on whatever is good. So I am no longer co-signing someone else's fear and doom.

Philippians 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:24 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
So his atrocious cabinet picks, history of swindling, refusal of releasing is tax returns, trolling Obama as a birther and his ties to Russia warrant the respect of giving him a chance? I don't think so.
Oh, the irony. You literally just proved the OP's point.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:25 PM

465 posts, read 303,913 times
Social media has been unbearable. I like and dislike things about Trump but what's scarier is this liberal meltdown when they don't get their way. Their leadership just doesn't get it at all. The more you expose yourselves crying and complaining, more people will take notice and back someone else.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:26 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I grew up in a family of mainstream Democrats, but I, like the OP is slowly doing, saw the light and now support the GOP.

There is no longer a mainstream element of the Democratic party. Just the radical fringe remains. The Joe Liebermans have no space in their narrow tent in 2017.
Joe Lieberman? What makes him so great? He served the donor class for decades.

Quote:
Given the choice between a Republican and someone who acts like a Republican, people will vote for the real Republican all the time
- Harry Truman

Old 01-21-2017, 03:26 PM

9,509 posts, read 4,344,731 times
I'm with the OP. I didn't vote for Trump, but the left's behavior before the election was troublesome. Their post-election antics are downright appalling. At this rate, they're doing a fine job of making sure Trump gets re-elected 4 years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies