Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 07:11 PM

30,205 posts, read 11,859,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.be14ba9c3b52

I just don't get stuff like this. I'm not a Republican or Democrat, just someone who believes in free market capitalism and other economic issues. But there are pictures and videos...so how is the coverage wrong. Seriously, there weren't large crowds at the inauguration. Can someone who is drinking the Trump kool-aid explain this thinking to me?

This absurd stuff also makes me start hating this administration. Srsly, why are you complaining about the media reporting the truth.
As someone who has supported Trump here lately but actually voted for Johnson I will give my take. We have had candidate Trump, President elect Trump and now President Trump. After hearing Trump's comments about the crowd coverage I think I have now some perspective.

I held out hope that after inauguration day Trump would see the light. But that is obviously not going to happen. He is the same as he was as a candidate and POTUS elect. In my mind he goes two steps forward and one step back. That is how he ran his campaign and that is how he will govern as President. The left will focus on the one step back like his crowd comments. The supporters will focus on good things they think he can do. Both will be right. These comments just add ammunition to those he keeps calling out. Personally I don't get the need for him to keep doing this.

I will also say that if he delivers on most of what he has pledged to do I can forgive the side of him that should just let things go.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:19 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,980,743 times
I watched both Canadian (more of this) and American coverage - the slant in the commentary was the problem and that was the media's responsibility. There were loads of pictures of the area from high up so you could see how many appeared to be there. But there was also a constant stream of comments about how it seemed there weren't many there. There were certainly enough people but I suspect there were still a lot trying to get in - security was slow and protesters blocked several entry points I believe.

All that said though, other than the fact that the commentary stunk, I don't really know why it matters how many were there, one way or the other - as long as those who wanted to be there were able to get there and to get in where they could see. Obama's first inauguration attendance number was more than an anomaly because of what we were not supposed to notice or care about .. 'his uniqueness'. His second was fairly lackluster.

I could not find a channel that was not constantly comparing everything to Obama, his tenure, his inauguration, his everything. The only time things were true and fair to Trump was when they stopped talking. I think that is much more critical to note than the actual number of attendees.

But, honestly, what everyone may need to get used to is that this is the age of pretty good coverage (with respect to the pictures, not the commentary) so many were watching at home - they also didn't have the funds to go with hotel prices so high, etc. - on tv or the internet. I know I got a better vantage point and probably could hear the proceedings better from in front of my tv than I would have had in person - and I was warmer and drier too.

Even if the actual numbers in attendance were lower than they were for some other President's first inaugurations, that certainly didn't mean that Mr. Trump didn't have a LOT of support and admiration yesterday as we watched him take his oath (from afar). Many of Trump's supporters live nowhere close by and a lot were at work - it was a 'holiday' I understand in much of DC but not so elsewhere.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:19 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,911,722 times
We have a president who, so important was it to he, that he sent Sean Spicer out to the briefing room to "correct the record" on his crowd size.....

We are in a LOT of trouble folks. He is an insecire man-child.

There was anger in Sean Spicer's voice, but I don't think it was because of some percieved slight in the media, I think it's because he knew how asanine this was and was troubled over the fact that Trump made him debase himself by going out there and making such a ridiculous anouncement. The people who've attached themselves to Trump I think are quickly realizing that their career is over in four years, if it lasts that long at all. No serious politician will want anyone working for him that was involved with Trump. Serious judgment issues.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:21 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,964,875 times
I thought Liberals were not concerned with crowds. Or is that just during Presidential campaigns?

Old 01-21-2017, 07:22 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset bulevar View Post
"It was the largest crowd. PERIOD!!!! "

The White House

Now the White House is talking to Americans as if they were children. They even told the press what they should be covering.
That was a calculated lie they told the American people. This is not good.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:24 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,640,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I thought Liberals were not concerned with crowds. Or is that just during Presidential campaigns?

I'm not liberal, but a libertarian who is anti-trump.
My problem is not the crowd size. It's the attempt at trying to argue that "1+1=5" when that is clearly not the correct answer.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:24 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,579,826 times
Extraordinary day one. The WH presser was unbelievable. Many bold face lies. They are already cracking under the pressure hours in. Look at what the red states unleashed on America. This is truly a sad dark time for our nation.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:25 PM

13,474 posts, read 9,991,265 times
Quote:
He lied about something that millions of people saw yesterday with their own eyes.

That's at the very least, disconcerting.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:25 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,742,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
We have a president who, so important was it to he, that he sent Sean Spicer out to the briefing room to "correct the record" on his crowd size.....

We are in a LOT of trouble folks. He is an insecire man-child.

There was anger in Sean Spicer's voice, but I don't think it was because of some percieved slight in the media, I think it's because he knew how asanine this was and was troubled over the fact that Trump made him debase himself by going out there and making such a ridiculous anouncement. The people who've attached themselves to Trump I think are quickly realizing that their career is over in four years, if it lasts that long at all. No serious politician will trust anyone who's hitched themselves to Trump's wagon.
I think you may have nailed it. Listening to Sean Spicer, he seemed so poorly spoken for the job he has. But if he felt he was debasing himself, that would make more sense. It was ridiculous. The press watching must have been looking at each other going "Seriously? This is happening?"

Old 01-21-2017, 07:26 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,123,714 times
Quote:
Trump is great. He alone can fix everything.

Personally, I don't care much about the crowd size. I do, however, care about the president of the US lying so obviously to the American people.

But again, Trump is president. He is great. He alone can fix everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies