Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 08:23 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times

Advertisements

Maher: Liberals "Cried Wolf" About Bush And Romney And We Were Wrong, "Fascist" Trump Is Different | Video | RealClearPolitics

Bill Maher issued a mea culpa for crying wolf over George W. Bush, John McCain and Mitt Romney on the Friday broadcast of his HBO show Real Time. Maher said Donald Trump is a different because he's a fascist. He said *beep* just got real" and we may be looking at "President Trump for life."

BILL MAHER: To the young people, like they say in the action movies, the *beep* just got real. I know you're young and idealistic so I've heard these young people out in the news and they say things like, 'Well, Donald Trump, I don't like him but Hillary, I can't vote for a liar.'

I mean, first of all it's just apples and oranges, and orange. But, kids, I've been doing this for 23 years on TV. I've seen a lot. I know politics. This is different. I promise you this will not make your life better. And also once fascists get power they don't give it up. You've got President Trump for life.

I know liberals made a big mistake because we attacked your boy Bush like he was the end of the world. And he wasn't. And Mitt Romney we attacked that way. I gave Obama a million dollars because I was so afraid of Mitt Romney. Mitt Romney wouldn't have changed my life that much or yours. Or John McCain.

They were honorable men who we disagreed with and we should have kept it that way. So we cried wolf and that was wrong. But this is real. This is going to be way different.

see liberals, when you use pretty much the same attacks on all non liberal politicians, there is a point where we will stop listening to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 08:33 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
The fact people were actually worried about Romney and McCain never made any sense to me.
They were both completely reasonable guys. I honestly couldn't believe Trump got through the primaries with all his shenanigans considering Romney got blasted for weeks over the 47% remark and McCain got blasted for simply having Palin as a running mate (liberals hated the first female VP candidate despite all their feminist/equality bs).
All seems kinda innocent now doesn't? Who knew the bull in the china shop approach was what they really needed?

Old 01-21-2017, 08:34 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Maybe this wouldn't have happened if liberals had a sense of proportion. But they don't. They are swayed by the emotions of the moment. Thus, anyone who disagrees with them instantly becomes Hitler incarnate and a fascist and a racist and so on. When they've shot their bolt against someone with whom they merely disagree, what do they do when they come across someone whom they really, really dislike? After awhile, the sane people of the world simply tune out their "Hitler" rantings and go about their business.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset bulevar View Post
If you say so OP

I guess that's the new logic. "You made me vote for the president, it's your fault he is in power"

uh yes, that makes perfect sense. When your candidate did a poor job of appealing to many working class people in what you feel is an important election, it is 100% your fault he is in power.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:36 PM

here is Democrat hero John Lewis comparing McCain with George Wallace

John Lewis, invoking George Wallace, says McCain and Palin 'playing with fire' - ONTD_Political

Old 01-21-2017, 08:40 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset bulevar View Post
If you say so OP

I guess that's the new logic. "You made me vote for the president, it's your fault he is in power"
You are completely missing the OP's and Maher's point. Nobody is saying anyone made anyone vote for Trump. The point was that liberals have been demonizing republicans for so long, that when "big bad Donald Trump" ran for office, the demonization of him was indistinguishable from that of the "good republicans". So people didn't take it seriously. That, THIS TIME, the demonization was justified, but since it has been done so many times when it was not justified, people just said "Well, that's what liberals always do." That the harsh words against Donald Trump would have meant so much more had they not come from people that always have harsh words for the people they disagree with.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You are completely missing the OP's and Maher's point. Nobody is saying anyone made anyone vote for Trump. The point was that liberals have been demonizing republicans for so long, that when "big bad Donald Trump" ran for office, the demonization of him was indistinguishable from that of the "good republicans". So people didn't take it seriously. That, THIS TIME, the demonization was justified, but since it has been done so many times when it was not justified, people just said "Well, that's what liberals always do." That the harsh words against Donald Trump would have meant so much more had they not come from people that always have harsh words for the people they disagree with.

And also when Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid got up in front of a mic that you and I paid for to announce that he had heard from a friend that Mitt hadn't paid his taxes in ten years (100% slanderous falsehood that Reid later snarked about how it helped defeat Romney).

Weirdly, the voters were not on the edge of their collective seats over loose talk about Trump's taxes. Funny how that works.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:47 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Maher: Liberals "Cried Wolf" About Bush And Romney And We Were Wrong, "Fascist" Trump Is Different | Video | RealClearPolitics

Bill Maher issued a mea culpa for crying wolf over George W. Bush, John McCain and Mitt Romney on the Friday broadcast of his HBO show Real Time. Maher said Donald Trump is a different because he's a fascist. He said *beep* just got real" and we may be looking at "President Trump for life."

BILL MAHER: To the young people, like they say in the action movies, the *beep* just got real. I know you're young and idealistic so I've heard these young people out in the news and they say things like, 'Well, Donald Trump, I don't like him but Hillary, I can't vote for a liar.'

I mean, first of all it's just apples and oranges, and orange. But, kids, I've been doing this for 23 years on TV. I've seen a lot. I know politics. This is different. I promise you this will not make your life better. And also once fascists get power they don't give it up. You've got President Trump for life.

I know liberals made a big mistake because we attacked your boy Bush like he was the end of the world. And he wasn't. And Mitt Romney we attacked that way. I gave Obama a million dollars because I was so afraid of Mitt Romney. Mitt Romney wouldn't have changed my life that much or yours. Or John McCain.

They were honorable men who we disagreed with and we should have kept it that way. So we cried wolf and that was wrong. But this is real. This is going to be way different.

see liberals, when you use pretty much the same attacks on all non liberal politicians, there is a point where we will stop listening to you

So Bill Maher said he, and the democrats were repeatedly wrong about the Republicans in the past, but this time, this time they are right.

We already know that the dems were wrong about everything they said about Trump during the election, so sorry their track record is as bad as it gets, they are wrong about Trump.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:48 PM

3,330 posts, read 1,961,914 times
Demonizing the other side isn't enough. The democrats failed to hold Obama accountable for his incompetence and fully embraced Clinton's arrogance and hatred. For these reasons democrats now are paying the price for their mistakes. If there had been no Obama there would have been no Trump.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:49 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
When are people like Maher going to get a clue that only morons listen to people like him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies