Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
And what motivations do you think Republicans have to do that? They're just bad guys meeting at a secret volcano island base concocting planes to rule the world? Ever think you're just making stuff up to make you feel like the good guys?
They are selfish and live by the maxim "greed is good". They may believe it or they may just think they have no other way of making a living. Take a hometown guy like Paul Ryan. What are his chances of making it big in life? A lowly rep for a few years? Now he's #3 and everyone wants him on their side.

I truly think the maxim "forgive them father for they know not what they do" applies. Republican policies have by and large created the "trickle down" America which is broken. The working man didn't outsource himself. The poor family didn't decide to raise the cost of health care so Romney, Frist and the others could make billions. The forgotten man didn't decide to waste 3-5 Trillion on wars or create the Great Recession from pure Wall Street driven greed.

So if the question is whether I think they are evil - the answer is an unqualified yes...they are. By their actions you shall know them.

Now - if they somehow got some sense knocked into their head and did things for the common people - like universal health care, doing away with tax cuts (from deficit) for billionaires, balancing the budget, working harder for alt energy and the environment, cutting out big money (citizens united) from government....

then I would change my mind. But, to quote the Great Forest Gump "Stupid is as Stupid Does". America is not going to become "great again" by following the same policies that led to BOTH the great recession and the great depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Male contraceptives: Condoms are cheap and OTC (birth control pills are prescription and while not costly, they do cost considerably more than condoms, and must be taken every day so are perpetual); males can walk away from a pregnancy (and do).

Maternity: I think they're speaking of the fact that maternity coverage is included in all policies, so they don't have to pay extra to get it.

PP preventive services: PP preventive services include helping the poor get contraceptives.(Medicaid does not cover contraceptives.) Note that the rate of abortions is the lowest in decades, due in part to women being able to get contraceptives. Pro-lifers should be for assisting poor women getting contraceptives, I would think.
So, what specific legislation has Trump put forward that has people concerned regarding the above?

Old 01-21-2017, 09:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Those contractors should turn over their contracts.

I would bet that there was a clause in there that stated they wouldn't get paid in full if they didn't keep up their end of the timeline.

That's how I do it...I'm not going to let contractors hold me up b/c they didn't "feel like it" for a few days, or had to start another job. Nope.

Lets see those contracts...
I'm sure you've been pining for the Tax Returns also, right?

Well, if so, you should sign the petition.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, Trumps brother in law WAS in Jail.......so I guess you approve of that kind of stuff. Big difference between wanting someone to be in jail due to fake news...and people who were sentenced to jail.

But, ah, Trump says OK...so it must be right.

BTW, there is no law about making money from wealthy people. Your King Trump does that. But he goes even further, ripping off hard working poor folks with Trump U and not paying contractors, etc.

There is a special place in hell for folks like that. Predators...in more ways than one.

This has to be a joke - you thinking that Wall Street Billionaires and Exxon Mobile CEO's wake up every morning working toward helping the "forgotten" man. Tell me it's not what you think....please?
They don't care about you or me but they do care about consumers as a whole. We live in a consumption based economy because of Obama's huge income inequalities a lot of CEOs are unhappy about having to run prop up bubble economy in order to stay in the game. We don't have consumers anymore, millennials are too debt saddened and underpaid compared to their parents. Obama has killed our economy because we send our money to insurance companies and to China. They're the biggest beneficiaries of Obama's income redistribution.

You think billionaries don't sit there and worry about money leaving our hands and going into insurance companies and China? They want to get back to a balanced economy where American companies can get into the food chain again instead of outsourcing everything overseas and destroying the ecosystem here.

If Obama's policies don't stop, China will be over here buying and running all of our businesses. You'll be forced to learn Mandarin because that's where the jobs are going. They have no regulations like the ACA and they are hiring while American companies don't hire because they rather outsource.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:19 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Please don't play stupid. Don't tell me he's "an outsider" and that he's "not a politician". He's been buying politicians for years. That makes him a politician.

Women don't want to be sexually harassed or assaulted in the work place ("grab them by the *****"). His son, Donnie the lesser, said that harassment is part of the work force.

Women don't want to be treated like garbage

Women want access to healthcare and family planning

And above all, women HATE people who lie. That's why so many of us hated Hillary, but Trump is no better.

Trump is a narcissistic, conceited, obnoxious LIAR, and HALF THE COUNTRY DOESN'T LIKE HIM.
So, why didn't you all "march" when Obama was in office?

He was the go-to POTUS who would have changed whatever it is these marchers are looking for, right?

What has changed since Friday?

Why not call all the bad-boy behavior out when Obama was at the helm?

Old 01-21-2017, 09:21 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I respect that so many women and men were able to get together across the nation and world to protest President Trump today but here is a thought.

Trump is no politician as we have seen and heard throughout the campaign. He has said some wild off the hook whacky things over the past months and many have considered his tirades to be nothing but braggy and self indulgent and those are his supporters. The people who oppose him consider most of what spews from Trumps mouth as lies. Now he is certainly not a polished politician but he talks like one in that he has promised to do so many things that we all know simply cannot and will not happen.

Somewhere along the campaign road Trump must have said something that got many people excited that he was going to take away a womans rights. That is pretty serious stuff if true but since when has a politician, even an outsider playing a politician ever told the truth on the campaign trail?
Obama for example pledged to close Gitmo yet it is still open.

I wonder what all these women are hoping to achieve and why they have chosen to suddenly take Trump at his word when most will say if his mouth is open there are lies falling out ?
easy it did not start today.

They are angry for the hundreds of attacks he has made. They are sickened by his ***** grabbing. They are angry that he has picked a plutocratic cabinet that goes far beyond his mandate.

They are angry that even after winning he and his staff continue to try and rub their noses in it instead of moving to the center.

In short they are marching to show, their representatives at home that they had better completely review what they think their mandate is.

They are telling Ryan, you better sure hope you keep him under control. They are telling France , Germany, UK that they don't agree and that America is still the worlds friend despite our premier.

If you can't see that then they are talking to you too. They are telling you that they will not be silent, they will resist.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:21 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
I'm sure you've been pining for the Tax Returns also, right?

Well, if so, you should sign the petition.
LOL!

Apples and oranges, silly.

I don't pay taxes when I don't have to.

Do you?

Old 01-21-2017, 09:22 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Ah, but they are not out of my control. I marched on DC during the Vietnam War and history shows that public opinion was a major part of getting out of that debacle. More recently, the same was true of Iraq.

That's the whole idea you don't seem to get. UNTIL AND UNLESS people march on DC and elsewhere, nothing is going to change.

And I'm talking about changes you probably support...at least some of....

Like - more manufacturing, better and less expensive health care, savings on the military budget, paying down the debt and deficit and doing away with tax cuts from debt, etc. etc.

DC is not going to just do these things by themselves. Why should they? They have their pieces of the pie - very large ones, in fact.
So you think we got out of Vietnam simply because of protest and not because we were losing and had a weak exit strategy? And Iraq wasn't perhaps because the Iraqis wouldn't grant our soldiers diplomatic immunity was it? Iraq prime minister: Immunity issue scuttled U.S. troop deal - Washington Times

Wars can be unpopular if they drag on too long with no end in sight. That's reflected in popularity polls which are far more important during election years.
I think you're giving your marches a little too much credit. Like if I protest against Trump outlawing the color blue and I congratulate myself because he doesn't actually illegalize the color blue.

If I want change I write to my congressmen or I elect the other guy.
I honestly think marching is just a hobby for libs.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:23 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I wonder what all these women are hoping to achieve...?
They released a statement outlining their beliefs, including the position that "migration is a human right". So apparently they hope for a future America full of newcomers from Latin America, Africa and the Muslim world who are indifferent to or actively hostile toward everything feminists have tried to accomplish for the past 50 years.
Women’s March on Washington release platform | Fusion

Old 01-21-2017, 09:23 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Didn't Trump say that abortion should be a criminal act and that women should be punished? It's a video (although I saw that interview live) That's certainly something to protest, not that grabbing a woman's genitals, calling women pigs, dogs and is anything to shrug off.

Remember when he said a woman should just quit her job if sexually harassed at work?

How about women in the military? This was one of his more despicable tweets.

[url]https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/331907383771148288?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies