Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2017, 09:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Bogus.

That period of history was racist. Sanger was typical for her time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 10:01 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The men and women who marched were secure enough in themselves to speak out on issues that are important to them. They didn't march in order to appreciate their lives and opportunities. They marched to ensure that the opportunities for their children will be even greater. They didn't need Madonna to speak for them, they allowed Madonna to speak. The marches across our country were a demonstration of power.

And the people who are criticizing them, who are trying to belittle those who marched, seem to be threatened by that power.
Not threatened one bit! I don't want to pay for their needs! Many of you ignore one of the creators of this march being tied to terrorist groups.....now this I fell threatened by! You can have these actors, because that is all they are. Madonna has done NOTHING for women, so why would they let her speak, she has been known forever as being an angry, over-sexed, woman, who's own son can't stand her. Guilt by association.....has always applied.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:03 AM

420 posts, read 704,395 times
Quote:
Bogus.

You're justifying her racism by saying she is a product of her time?

Old 01-24-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Not threatened one bit! I don't want to pay for their needs! Many of you ignore one of the creators of this march being tied to terrorist groups.....now this I fell threatened by! You can have these actors, because that is all they are. Madonna has done NOTHING for women, so why would they let her speak, she has been known forever as being an angry, over-sexed, woman, who's own son can't stand her. Guilt by association.....has always applied.
All the put-downs, the attempts to dismiss them, those are the words of people who feel threatened, and respond by trying to ridicule others. Citing actors and Madonna is just an attempt to ignore that MILLIONS of women marched. Guilt by association is just a smear tactic.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
Quote:
Bogus.

So that excuses everything that led up until today? I mean, that's a pretty big deal, if you ask me.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
You're justifying her racism and her desire to exterminate black people by saying she is a product of her time?
I don't have to justify anything. I'm simply responding to attempts to vilify her. She was a product of her time. So was Lincoln. If someone cited Lincoln's racism as a criticism of the Republican Party, you'd think that was pretty ridiculous, wouldn't you? After all, Lincoln's views were a product of his time. And the Republican Party today bears little resemblance to the Republican Party of 1860.

Sanger's tireless activism to give women control over their own reproductive health was a tremendous boon to women's rights. For that, I thank her. Her views regarding race do not detract from the benefits she conferred on modern women.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:09 AM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Of course they're not. Like I said...

It's anyone's right and choice to believe that selfishly spending money on themselves to participate in an ineffective (and now even criticized by minorities and transgenders as bigoted and sexist) narcissistic self-indulgent temper tantrum march is a better use of their money than donating to domestic violence shelters, food pantries, PP, etc.

But they should think very carefully about what that says about them.
You have no idea what they do with their money.

Just like I have no idea what you with yours. I do know that you waste countless hours here arguing when you could be practicing what you preach.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Bogus.

It's not bogus. She was just typical for her time.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:11 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,155 times
Quote:
I don't have to justify anything. I'm simply responding to attempts to vilify her. She was a product of her time. So was Lincoln. If someone cited Lincoln's racism as a criticism of the Republican Party, you'd think that was pretty ridiculous, wouldn't you? After all, Lincoln's views were a product of his time. And the Republican Party today bears little resemblance to the Republican Party of 1860.

Sanger's tireless activism to give women control over their own reproductive health was a tremendous boon to women's rights. For that, I thank her. Her views regarding race do not detract from the benefits she conferred on modern women.
No. She literally wanted to get poor black women birth control to depopulate a race that she did not like. That was one of the founding principles of Planned Parenthood.

Product of their time? Racism, homophobia, sexism still exist in 2017 as they did in 1917. How do you excuse that and just dismiss it?

It's always funny when people like you cherry-pick facts to only view them in a manner which supports your cause.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:16 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
No. She literally wanted to get poor black women birth control to depopulate a race that she did not like. That was one of the founding principles of Planned Parenthood.

Product of their time? Racism, homophobia, sexism still exist in 2017 as they did in 1917. How do you excuse that and just dismiss it?

It's always funny when people like you cherry-pick facts to only view them in a manner which supports your cause.
in her time racism was rampant, Kellogg, Ford, and a host of others. people evolve and times change.

women are not stupid, black women are not stupid, if a woman wants an abortion that is her choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies