Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 09:27 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times

Advertisements

My monthly premium for my family went from 300 a month to 1000 a month in 2 years. I also had Humana drop our plan we had (which was very good 0 deductible). They completely pull out of Texas and screwed us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:31 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We also had an increase in our deductible from $ 3000 to now a whopping $ 6000.-!

Obamacare was about a reduction of $ 2500 we should receive and we got zero as our premium never was higher so we never saw any relief.

Obama lied that we could keep our plan which we had to change approx. 1.5-2 years ago when we were told our plan was not in compliance with Obamacare and they would no longer be able to offer that plan.

In order to keep our premiums lower we chose to get a higher deductible as otherwise our premiums would be even higher.

I understand many Obama fans don't care as they either chose not to get health care or laugh at people being suckers for paying these high premiums.

I feel like a sucker for being played by Obama!

That is an important reason why I support Trump as he is the one who understood people like our family and the struggles to keep paying for health care and other things.
I can't identify because mine did not.

What kind of insurance do you have? PPO? HMO? ACA?

What?

Old 01-23-2017, 09:34 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
there always are.

OP are you telling us you don't qualify for any NON ACA plans ? If not why not?

ALL plans on the market these days are "ACA Plans". Insurance companies are banned from selling traditional "major medical" or "catastrophic care" plans under the ACA.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Very easy answer. The federal government does not have the Constitutional authority.
Do you have a credible link to back up that assertion?

Old 01-23-2017, 09:55 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,874 times
Due to a job loss we have Obamacare and compared to other states I feel pretty lucky. $1000 a month for family, $7000 individual deductible before payment kicks in. And no, we still don't qualify for subsidies.

I really don't think there is an answer to healthcare. The fact is, medical advancements have changed the landscape over the last 25 years. Think of all of the new things we didn't have even 30-40 years ago--knee replacements, hip replacements, heart stents, medications, sleep studies/sleep apnea machines, heart bypass surgeries. MRI's, Cat scans, diabetes treatments, kidney treatment, allergy treatments, ADHD medications, premature infant ICU treatments,back surgeries for slipped discs, and the list goes on and on. In the meantime Americans are more obese and unhealthy than ever. There is no way to give everyone good and immediate coverage without it costing someone. Oh, and universal healthcare (with Medicare being absorbed into it) would cause many protests by seniors who are used to quick and easy access to all of the above procedures mentioned.Just the other day my smoker/obese aunt announced "I think I will get my other knee (replacement) done soon". In countries like Britain they are limiting or outright banning knee and hip replacements if you smoke or are obese. And there are years-long waiting lists even for those who are healthy. Imagine the outrage that would cause here. Are we ready for rationed healthcare? Most people with good employer offered insurance would balk at having to be in a general pool and see their healthcare access decline. The truth is there are many people who are perfectly happy with their healthcare right now and would not be willing to give that up so that all would be covered.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
In countries like Britain they are limiting or outright banning knee and hip replacements if you smoke or are obese. And there are years-long waiting lists even for those who are healthy. Imagine the outrage that would cause here.
myths.

Average waiting time for hip replacement in England is 78 days.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...68851013001759

And no, there is no ban on knee or hip replacements if you smoke or are obese in England. But if you are obese and smoke you have a very high risk of something going terribly wrong when you have major surgery. Its only logical that people are given help to lose weight if there is a risk of horrendous consequences from major surgery.

Medicare is a single payer system. To expand Medicare is completely rational and the best thing to do.

Old 01-23-2017, 10:53 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
myths.

Average waiting time for hip replacement in England is 78 days.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...68851013001759

And no, there is no ban on knee or hip replacements if you smoke or are obese in England. But if you are obese and smoke you have a very high risk of something going terribly wrong when you have major surgery. Its only logical that people are given help to lose weight if there is a risk of horrendous consequences from major surgery.

Medicare is a single payer system. To expand Medicare is completely rational and the best thing to do.
Recently because of budget constraints they are making changes British Government Hospitals To Bar Smokers & Overweight Patients From Surgery, Due To Budget Constraints
. You simply can't cover everyone for everything and not have it cost especially when Americans are more unhealthy than ever.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Recently because of budget constraints they are making changes British Government Hospitals To Bar Smokers & Overweight Patients From Surgery, Due To Budget Constraints
. You simply can't cover everyone for everything and not have it cost especially when Americans are more unhealthy than ever.
Its a tiny locality in England that suggested this but it has been rejected. Its old news. The government there is trying to cut funding for their national health care system and it is not popular. Just like deep cuts to Medicare by our own conservatives wouldnt be popular. That doesnt mean there is something wrong with Medicare. It just means that conservative politicians dont really like it.

I dont understand what you mean by "not have it cost". Here are the healthcare expenses per person by country. The American system is by far the most expensive in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ure_per_capita

Forbes is not a neutral source. They are rabid privatizers and is a rag advocating the views of the donor class that dont represent the American people.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Are we ready for rationed healthcare? Most people with good employer offered insurance would balk at having to be in a general pool and see their healthcare access decline. The truth is there are many people who are perfectly happy with their healthcare right now and would not be willing to give that up so that all would be covered.
Well let's ask this young lady shall we?

Lisa Brown: 34-Year-Old Succumbs to Rare Disease That Caused Her to Starve to Death

"Patricia says insurance wouldn’t cover the hefty bill that her mother estimates would end up being over $1,000,000."

You're already living with the spectre of rationed healthcare and have been for decades.

Denials by insurance cubicle denizens, lack of any insurance at all, refusals of companies to insure due to pre-existing conditions; are all things millions of you've been tolerating for longer than other countries have had Universal/single payer systems.

The rest of the world calls those conditions RATIONING! Hence, the reasons saner minds developed their superior method of healthcare coverage.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:28 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I agree, lets repeal and replace. You guys have every opportunity to come with a solution, 6 years of crying, if i saw my house was on fire even if i wasnt allowed to go in I would have the fire extinguisher ready for my opportunity, well this is it, lets go.

i tell you what my expectation is for now on, you guys should just post your idea for a new plan, then I will come on and criticize it. Lets do that for the next 4 years.

This is how I think this is going to play out. Trump just tossed out basically a small bomb to the health exchanges with his EO, now the republican controlled states will do their best to make whatever is left of the ACA unbearable, they are not going to touch it other than eat at what makes it somewhat sustainable once it can no longer support itself then it will be easy to tell the people "look it failed not our fault" they need to lower the bar of what people are going to compare the new plan to and they will.
And go back to what exactly?

More of this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...ottom-comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies