Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,523,323 times

Advertisements

Since maybe the civil rights movement.. I can't think of a time the U.S. has been more divided along political lines.

Liberals and Conservatives are completely disgusted by each other right now to a point of hatred. Neither side will give in to the other or try to see their point of view. Each side is just running further to their own side.

We are on a path to either a domestic cold war or a civil war. Things like hate crimes against people based on political belief. People losing their jobs over political beliefs or perceived political beliefs. People having to put political party on their resume to get an interview. The divide is getting dangerously intense.

The most interesting thing is that neither Trump or Obama are to blame. They were just the catalyst. They brought to the surface what was already there underneath.

United States. Look at yourself in the mirror. Not just half the mirror but the entire mirror. Do you like what you see? Both the Conservative side of you and the Liberal side of you is part of you and equally American. Do you like yourself? Do you like who you really are?

Truth is.. if you hate the opposite political party then you hate your country. Both parties are equally American. The United States has a self-hatred problem. Like the person who is proud of their own success, but still hates themselves for being a weak Basketball player or incompetent at sex.

America. You hate yourself. Both sides of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 10:28 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Thanks to Obama.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:29 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,639,218 times
FAKE NEWS...everyone loves trump. he is our kind, wonderful father who should be worshiped as God incarnate

Old 01-30-2017, 10:37 PM

You're both joking right?

Old 01-30-2017, 10:39 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
United States. Look at yourself in the mirror. Not just half the mirror but the entire mirror. Do you like what you see? Both the Conservative side of you and the Liberal side of you is part of you and equally American. Do you like yourself? Do you like who you really are?

The previous few posts were good examples of what the OP was talking about. Just knee jerk hatred.

When the election first occurred, I thought we could all find common ground. As a liberal, I did some reading, especially on here, and figured out some of the issues that bother the rightists. And I see some merit in what they were saying. Not in all cases, but in some cases.

I also agree with them on a few issues and I always have.

But mostly I don't care for Trump and his vulgar, loud, disrespectful manner. His lies and insults. However, even if he went away and we got Pence or Ryan, I don't agree with a lot of what they stand for. They are, however, better qualified and more statesman-like.

The leftist extreme tried to take us too far left--too far left for most Democrats--but the far left would not listen to the regular Democrats or the Republicans. The right has gone way too far right. I still believe that most of us are somewhere in the middle. From what is happening and the radical, sudden, not too well thought out moves that Trump is making, I am disliking him even more. From the rotten remarks being made by his supporters, I don't see us getting any closer.

So it's starting to evolve in such a way that my initial thoughts about being able to come together and compromise --most of us want something done about illegals, all of us want jobs, most of us want health care, none of us want terrorism--well, it sounded like most of us wanted the same thing. I still hope so but it's looking more like the right wants to gloat, not to figure out how to work things out. If we can't work things out then there will be no country at all.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:43 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Since maybe the civil rights movement.. I can't think of a time the U.S. has been more divided along political lines.

Liberals and Conservatives are completely disgusted by each other right now to a point of hatred. Neither side will give in to the other or try to see their point of view. Each side is just running further to their own side.

We are on a path to either a domestic cold war or a civil war. Things like hate crimes against people based on political belief. People losing their jobs over political beliefs or perceived political beliefs. People having to put political party on their resume to get an interview. The divide is getting dangerously intense.

The most interesting thing is that neither Trump or Obama are to blame. They were just the catalyst. They brought to the surface what was already there underneath.

Truth is.. if you hate the opposite political party then you hate your country. Both parties are equally American. The United States has a self-hatred problem. Like the person who is proud of their own success, but still hates themselves for being a weak Basketball player or incompetent at sex.

America. You hate yourself. Both sides of you.
Get used to it, sadly we are have passed the crossroad to change our direction we are headed for a very rough road.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

The previous few posts were good examples of what the OP was talking about. Just knee jerk hatred.

When the election first occurred, I thought we could all find common ground. As a liberal, I did some reading, especially on here, and figured out some of the issues that bother the rightists. And I see some merit in what they were saying. Not in all cases, but in some cases.

I also agree with them on a few issues and I always have.

But mostly I don't care for Trump and his vulgar, loud, disrespectful manner. His lies and insults. However, even if he went away and we got Pence or Ryan, I don't agree with a lot of what they stand for. They are, however, better qualified and more statesman-like.

The leftist extreme tried to take us too far left--too far left for most Democrats--but the far left would not listen to the regular Democrats or the Republicans. The right has gone way too far right. I still believe that most of us are somewhere in the middle. From what is happening and the radical, sudden, not too well thought out moves that Trump is making, I am disliking him even more. From the rotten remarks being made by his supporters, I don't see us getting any closer.

So it's starting to evolve in such a way that my initial thoughts about being able to come together and compromise --most of us want something done about illegals, all of us want jobs, most of us want health care, none of us want terrorism--well, it sounded like most of us wanted the same thing. I still hope so but it's looking more like the right wants to gloat, not to figure out how to work things out. If we can't work things out then there will be no country at all.
Well said.

And that is the heart of what I was trying to say.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:57 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
The US is divided on a handful of issues. Divided in a hysterical way. What we are now is LOUDER than ever.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:58 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,261,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Thanks to Obama.
No its not all Obama's fault. Or George Bush or Bill Clinton's fault. Our problems go back decades without being answered.

That is what the OP is talking about, people automatically blaming the other side. But both sides are responsible for today's problems.

Look at the Republicans just for ONE example - you know the party that supposedly cares so deeply about National Security and will spend trillions to do it no matter what it does to the budget deficit. Yet for decades they pursued policies that would leave us vulnerable and totally dependent on imported foreign oil. Over the years they tried to block or reduce anything like conservation, alternate energy supplies and even subsidies for trains and mass transit. That is NOT real a real National Security policy in my book!

Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Thanks to Obama.
How so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies