Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:51 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
That Bush started you mean.
No, I meant end the wars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 05:52 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
If we are to remain (one of) the biggest fish in the pond, we can not act like we are the only fish in the pond.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:52 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No, I meant end the wars
sorry I was trying to be smart there... would be great if he could..

Old 01-23-2017, 05:53 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I was wondering what Trump can do to get those on board that are non-believers? I was thinking that fixing the water in Flint MI would be one positive step: Flint Water Crisis: Where It Stands a Year Later. On the TV today I heard some suggest to change the tax code immediately so many prospered from the change. Of course there is always the job issue and putting more Americans to work and offering them better pay.

My feeling is that Trump will do best at what he is good at - building or rebuilding. I hated what George W. Bush did not do to help people after Katrina. I used to drive truck down I-59 and then took I-12/I-10 over to Texas after Katrina. Years later I still saw the blue roof tarps and devastation. I hope (feel) that would never happen under Trump.

Right now his full cabinet has not been confirmed. So it is hard for him to get all the support that he needs. I am hoping that in his first hundred days that we get one great look at what a builder can accomplish.

So; what are other ideas for Trump to unify America?
In this part of the country, we've seen his antics in the local news for years, and nobody here was dazzled by the fact that he had a TV show, which I think went a long way toward his support in parts of the nation who didn't really know who he was. I don't see him as prepared to deal with foreign policy, and watching DONALD TRUMP "reviewing the troops" the other day was just...surreal. Shades of Wilton Parmenter.

But he IS a developer. He knows how to build. If he can do something to rebuild the middle of this country and bring business back to America's heartland, I think that would go a long way. I would give him all the credit in the world if he can do that one thing. Of course he's the figurehead for the USA now, but let the big boys handle the military decisions and the advisors guide him on foreign policy, and let's see what he can do to strengthen the economy for the Americans who are struggling.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:01 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
He could stop acting like a spoiled little brat.
I think this is one of the biggest things for me. That if he could simply stop behaving like a whiny little crybaby that has to angrily tweet back against every little criticism of him that people have and instead behaved like an actual dignified president, then that would be a great start in trying to get people to change their opinions of him.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:02 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
I agree that real estate development seems to be in President Trump's wheelhouse, but I am not sure that he can do much about Flint's situation, since you are talking about replacing a lot of piping to a lot of homes, etc. It is, simply due to the scope of the disaster, something that will take a long time.

My advice to him would be, first, hire the best speechwriters available, and, with them, develop his thoughts, to be uttered in a professional and specific, issue-oriented way. I understand his appeal to many of his 'off the cuff' speeches, but as President they won't fly. Look at his CIA speech. I can't imagine any modern-day President giving such a talk to such an important group of people. I read the full transcript and was rather appalled at his disjointed statements. He sounded like I would have, if I had suddenly been thrust in front of 400 CIA agents and told to talk for 15 minutes, and I had no idea of what the group really does.

President Trump has a lot he wishes to do. He has won the election based on his promises. Now, he has to stop running, and start persuading, especially (for now) those in Congress (since they hold the purse-strings). For instance, he should now start laying the groundwork, with private meetings with members of Congress, for legislation about fixing our nation's infrastructure, which is long past due. He must hold such meetings about lots of the issues he feels is important: health insurance, border security, international trade, etc.

He has won the battle (for the presidency), but not 'the war'. He can get a lot done, if he now uses his power of persuasion with those with whom he shares governmental power (for he is, of course, head of the Executive Branch, but you still have the Legislative and Judicial branches). In theory he is in the 100 day 'honeymoon' period, and he has a 'friendly' (seemingly) House and Senate.

Of course, many of his stances go against traditional conservative dogma (trade, for instance), and he must persuade them to go along with his vision. Simply demanding, via tweets and such, that things be done, is not akin to actually achieving his desire.

It is early days, of course. He is still getting his feet wet. I hope he does not isolate himself in the White House and simply communicate with Congress through Kellyanne Conway and Sean Spicer, and tweets. He has the upper hand, but he would not be the first President to alienate even members of his own party, if he does not moderate his pronouncements.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:02 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Throwing obstacles at him, so he doesn't yet have a full staff; does not help. Congress cooperated with Obama and Clinton; isn't it time to give Trump a chance?

I honestly do not think there is anything Donald Trump can do to turn around the negative opinions so many of us have about him. His problems go right to his core and I do not see him changing his thinking or his integrity any time soon.

I keep hearing on this forum that we hate him because he is a Republican, or because he beat Hillary. NO, those are not the reasons we dislike and distrust Trump, it goes much deeper than that. Many of us have known him for decades, listened to his words, and watched how he conducted his life. My opinion of Donald Trump is that he is first and foremost a lying con artist, who only thinks of himself.

Maybe some people do not care that he has cheated so many other people to get ahead. I do. Maybe other people do not care that only hateful, negative words come out of his mouth. I do. And maybe other people think that he will miraculously become a different person in the last year, and suddenly start caring about the welfare and lives of regular people. I do NOT share that opinion.

Would we begin to think a little more highly of him if he did actually start doing some Presidential things aimed at helping America ? Maybe, but we will never get the chance to find out. Leopards do not change their spots, and Donald Trumps' character flaws go so deep that they will prevent him from ever changing. I think we have already begun to see that coming true, and he has only been in there less than 3 days.

I also feel that he has some mental issues that will prevent him from acting as a normal person would, but that is a whole nuther subject.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:09 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Round up all the dissidents and ship them to FEMA camps

Old 01-23-2017, 06:12 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
I was wondering what Trump can do to get those on board that are non-believers? I was thinking that fixing the water in Flint MI would be one positive step: Flint Water Crisis: Where It Stands a Year Later. On the TV today I heard some suggest to change the tax code immediately so many prospered from the change. Of course there is always the job issue and putting more Americans to work and offering them better pay.

My feeling is that Trump will do best at what he is good at - building or rebuilding. I hated what George W. Bush did not do to help people after Katrina. I used to drive truck down I-59 and then took I-12/I-10 over to Texas after Katrina. Years later I still saw the blue roof tarps and devastation. I hope (feel) that would never happen under Trump.

Right now his full cabinet has not been confirmed. So it is hard for him to get all the support that he needs. I am hoping that in his first hundred days that we get one great look at what a builder can accomplish.

So; what are other ideas for Trump to unify America?

The mistake you are making is in believing that those protesting Trump are doing so because they have specific areas of concern that Trump could address and perhaps remedy.

This is not the case.

The issue that these people have with Trump is that he represents working-class voters who are in most cases white and worse yet, white males.

These white working-class voters have for decades been content to fight the wars, pay taxes, obey the law and protect and provide for the people they love.

Their involvement in political affairs was largely limited to voting, if that.

But now they have entered the political fray in a far more significant way - first with the Tea Party movement and now by supporting a non-insider who cannot be bought-off or intimidated - and this just as the malcontents were really making progress towards the sort of social reforms that would make the opinions and concerns of white voters socially irrelevant and politically radioactive.

Anything that Trump says or does will be ridiculed, not because he's wrong, but because he is the wrong kind of leader representing the kind wrong voters.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:12 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
I agree with most of your list - I don't know about the chemicals in the Poconos (we like our chemicals - just kidding). Besides you can't find your golf ball in murky water!

Yes; I hope that he immediately takes steps to help our Veterans and support our police and emergency responders.
LOL

can't give you anymore reps...you know the drill, but, hey, hope you and yours are all doing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies