Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:42 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
A pet peeve of mine is when people try to paint small town America as the only "real America." The cities are where people live and where the economy runs.
Or how Trump supporters only talk about the working class in context of rural whites. Republicans have forgot about the inner city working class for decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 12:45 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the nerve of that guy. a whole weekend and he didn't fix this years-in-the-making problem?
The OP is the one claiming Trump has already made "small town America great again".

What's wrong with pointing out that it's only been a weekend? But of course fanatic Trump supporters will suddenly thing everything is awesome now that Trump is president.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:45 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
It's interesting that Liberals think only old White rural racists work in factories. I've worked in a warehouse and a significant percent of the workforce was immigrants from all over the place: Latin America, Africa, SE Asia, etc. Last I checked a lot of Black Americans were devastated by job losses in Flint and Detroit.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It's interesting that Liberals think only old White rural racists work in factories.
Who said that?

Old 01-23-2017, 03:21 PM

3,162 posts, read 2,214,232 times
Small town America certainly doesn't have much economic power, but a realistic assessment is that they do wield disproportionate political power. The majority of states have the majority of their voters outside of large metropolitan areas, so if small town America votes more or less as a block, which was more true of 2016 than ever before, Democrats are likely to be out of power for a long time. From an electoral standpoint, Democrats need to lighten up on the platforms that appeal to California and the urban Northeast which they will win anyway, and listen more to the key issues that are on the minds of people in the "rust belt" states. One step is renouncing any characterization of "deplorables" among those who voted for Trump in 2016 and may still be persuadable if his promises are not fulfilled, and show they respect all Americans.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:29 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
NY Post= Fake News

This is right wing media hyperbole at it's finest. That moron has been president for a weekend and the Rust Belt is still full of depressed little towns, Appalachia too, Blue states & Blue metro areas are still the most affluent and dynamic.

So until all of those things flip, then your article is just propaganda.
This is why you lost sucka!

Old 01-23-2017, 03:32 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
NY Post= Fake News

This is right wing media hyperbole at it's finest. That moron has been president for a weekend and the Rust Belt is still full of depressed little towns, Appalachia too, Blue states & Blue metro areas are still the most affluent and dynamic.

So until all of those things flip, then your article is just propaganda.
The are trying real hard to overcompensate being that polishing this particular turd is a very difficult task. Donald Dump only received 26% of the votes of all eligible voters. That is paltry...to say the least.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Here's an interesting article by Salena Zito, one of the shrewdest chroniclers of small town mid-west America.

How Trump made small-town America matter again | New York Post

Democrats, you folks have a political problem. America thinks you're irrelevant. Since Obama became president you have been crushed across the country. All I've seen and read since the elections is more whining, more calls for resistance, more threats...and not one post or news story wondering how this could have happened. Here's a good article to get you started and it's loaded with good links.
Nope, my dad's small southern town didn't magically turn vibrant over the weekend. It is still the same segregated place it has always been. The didn't integrate the schools until the mid-1970s. But they are still de facto segregated. There is a firm line between the white part of town and the black part of town.

But if Trump really wants to make a difference in my dad's town, he could move his businesses manufacturing over to the town. They did apparel and dishes (I don't remember if it was plates or silverware) until the factories closed. Now there are no jobs. Besides at the fast food places. Now the black people and white people just blame the "Mexicans" for taking all the jobs.

But maybe the factories closed because they didn't want to hire any black people? My granddad came back from the WW2 with a college degree, but apparently he wasn't qualified to work at the local factory. Not a lot of working factories left in that part of the state, but there are a lot of skeletons. Plenty to help fulfill Trump branded manufacturing. Maybe they can grow rice again too.

If those textile and home goods factories in the small town south open up again, and they are no longer no opportunity zones, I'll give Trump some credit. But I am not very optimistic. My dad and his compatriots left for a reason. Honestly, everyone left - white, black or otherwise. It is mostly old people in the town.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:58 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the nerve of that guy. a whole weekend and he didn't fix this years-in-the-making problem?

WHAT a coincidence! They said the same about Obama!

Old 01-23-2017, 04:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
A pet peeve of mine is when people try to paint small town America as the only "real America." The cities are where people live and where the economy runs.
Yup most people live in urban areas in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Or how Trump supporters only talk about the working class in context of rural whites. Republicans have forgot about the inner city working class for decades.
And the rural non-white working class people,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies