Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2017, 04:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
President Trump issued an executive order Monday freezing federal hiring. The hiring freeze excludes national security employees.
Earlier this month, The Washington Post reported that the Obama administration was accelerating hiring to get employees in place before Trump took over. But individuals hired, but who have not yet started working, still could be affected by a freeze.
Trump freezes federal hiring

as promised.
I tend not to buy into stuff like this and here's why.

Most large private and public employers do periodic freezes like this. And when they do, they often work around it by hiring consultants and temporary workers. The CEO can tell his/her board it now has 1000 vacancies on hold while hiring 1000 who will not be on the payroll to do the work. The bigger the company/government, the easier it is to bury costs.

Take a look at the total number of employees by branch of federal government since 1962. Look at uniformed military during the Iraq War when at times there were more contractors thus US military stationed in Iraq.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...nt-since-1962/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 04:25 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Hogwash. The vast majority of the American people support their national parks, wildlife refuges, and forests. It's not the states' land, they gave up claims to it in their statehood acts. The national parks and forests will not be handed to states to rape and pillage for corporate profits.

What may happen (no one knows for sure yet what this freeze really means) is there's going to be less people doing vital work like putting out forest fires or maintaining campgrounds. My guess is if someone loses their home to a wildfire out west this year because there weren't resources to fight it, there will be less Trump voters in 2020.
You know, I hadn't thought of that, but it really scares me. I live in a part of the country where forest fires are a serious problem, and even those way outside of urban corridors can quickly encroach on populous areas. Let's hope your scenario does not come to pass.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Hogwash. The vast majority of the American people support their national parks, wildlife refuges, and forests. It's not the states' land, they gave up claims to it in their statehood acts. The national parks and forests will not be handed to states to rape and pillage for corporate profits.

What may happen (no one knows for sure yet what this freeze really means) is there's going to be less people doing vital work like putting out forest fires or maintaining campgrounds. My guess is if someone loses their home to a wildfire out west this year because there weren't resources to fight it, there will be less Trump voters in 2020.

Well, then they can support them as State Parks, if that is the States idea for the land.

Acts and legislation cannot conflict with the US Constitution, which is the restrictions placed upon the federal government, by the People. Donald Trump just gave everything Washington DC has taken, back to YOU... THE PEOPLE.

That supreme court appointment is pretty important to liberty.
Won't be long before Ginsburg is in an Urn.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Typically, contractors get ZERO benefits. No paid time off, no insurance, etc.
Typically skilled contractors are paid more than full time employees.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:35 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Well, then they can support them as State Parks, if that is the States idea for the land.

Acts and legislation cannot conflict with the US Constitution, which is the restrictions placed upon the federal government, by the People. Donald Trump just gave everything Washington DC has taken, back to YOU... THE PEOPLE.

That supreme court appointment is pretty important to liberty.
Won't be long before Ginsburg is in an Urn.
You're not in the real world if you think that's going to happen. There's nothing in the Constitution restricting the federal government from having national parks and forests. There's 145 years of precedent behind that too (going back to 1872).

Old 01-23-2017, 04:37 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Day 3 since inauguration, Tump has fulfilled 2 promises already.

Keep it up, Trump.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post
The amount of waste that goes into federal jobs, I have seen over the years is mind boggling. the travels booked last minute, staying is all kinds of big hotels, the going out. Federal employees have it very good.

The herd needs to be thinned a lot when it comes to spending by federal agencies. For too long they have had a blank check to write.
They should have listened to Gowdy in 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYhGE5axf2Q

Excuse me for a moment, I need to laugh my arse off right now.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:43 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
yea but now they will hire contractors-- who will be more expensive-- and more easier to cause issues like Snowden

Old 01-23-2017, 04:46 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
They should have listened to Gowdy in 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYhGE5axf2Q

Excuse me for a moment, I need to laugh my arse off right now.

Who eats breakfast/ lunch off the government?? the top?? not regular workers who mostly brown bag--

Old 01-23-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Who eats breakfast/ lunch off the government?? the top?? not regular workers who mostly brown bag--
Please. I've held 3 government jobs. Only 1 paid lower than it should have, the other 2 I was ridiculously overpaid. I mean...RIDICULOUSLY overpaid for what I did. Those who say that Federal Employees are poor are full of it.

By the way, one of my jobs required me to keep a log on the miles I drove. I was meticulous, but not once did anyone ever sit down with me and ask me how I came up with the amount of miles that I did. No, they did not match what the job said the miles were...they were always more, but no oversight. I never lied, but I have no idea if anyone else did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies