Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:14 AM

3,841 posts, read 3,068,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
The new White House also has an Oval Office now that is sporting golden draperies and big golden valences plus brushed gold accents around the room. I kid you not. The king as arrived!

The Oval Office looks much nicer now that the prayer rugs have been removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 06:35 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Supporting all people isn't just a thing for language.
Yet this is the topic, and the specific points being made so the rest of your comment I omitted is irrelevant to that point.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:23 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
[quote=shh1313;46937902]I find the ignorance on this thread astounding. First off the website is under construction.
It was mentioned in the press conference.

Secondly, did they not teach the Treaty of Guadalupe in history class?

That's only for the state of Calif., not the whole country nor on the federal level.
Besides, since then Calif. has made English it's official language.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
My ancestors came from Europe 100 yrs ago and survived by learning English, and if they can do it, so can anyone else. I cringe every time I see a sign that says "Vote Aqui" or however it's spelled. No, I don't care what the correct spelling is, I live in an English speaking country. If I went to a Spanish speaking country, I wouldn't expect to find "Vote Here" signs.
What country did your ancestors come from in Europe 100 years ago???

Just wanted to mention, I live in a very diverse community and associate with genealogical associations in this state and a majority of European immigrants, the first generation, did NOT learn English if it was not their native tongue. I have friend my age (I'm mid 30s) who have grandparents who are very elderly and still alive who never learned to speak English and their grandparents are primarily Polish and and Hungarian and were the initial immigrant to the USA from the "old country."

European immigrants of the past, like immigrants today, created very homogenous neighborhoods and had no reason to learn English. In my area we had a German part of town and they had church service and school was taught in German until after the first World War and only stopped due to the demonization of Germans. Many still spoke German in church until the second World War.

I went to school with the grandchildren (and great grandchildren when it comes to German) of German, Polish, and Hungarian immigrants and nearly all their grandparents never learned English because they lived in neighborhoods and had jobs to where they had no need to learn English. Its hard to learn a new language as an adult. Their kids and grandkids though learned and none of my friends from school knew how to speak their cultural language when we were in school or today. One of my friends actually did learn Hungarian but doesn't think they can speak it anymore.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:39 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yeah, I saw that too. Made me want to gag. How long before the big gold TRUMP sign goes up over the front of the White House?

It beats the prayer rugs and incense from the previous occupant.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:41 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Goodness...some of you are so insecure.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:41 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It beats the prayer rugs and incense from the previous occupant.
Well, except for the fact that the prayer rugs are all in your imagination. The gaudy gold curtains are on full display for all to see.

Oh, wait, I get it! The "prayer rugs in the Oval Office" are just more of your "alternative facts," right?

Old 01-24-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Most New Yorkers I know have a vocabulary over 41 words. Maybe Trump should try to master more of the English language. He could learn, bigly. His thesaurus could be Yuuge.
Buy, Sell, and "You're fired" has made Trump a billionaire. What's the problem??

Old 01-24-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Um you realize there is no true designated language for America? This is basically Trump playing to his base.
That is costing us millions in taxpayer provided translators and forms printed in multiple languages. This would be a quick win if President Trump signed a bill making "English" the official language of the United States. It is already the official language of commerce worldwide.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
WRONG! We are a nation that supports multiculturalism because we are just that. This is nothing new and shouldn't be earth-shattering. The United States of America had been called a melting pot since the mid 1800's with immigration to Ellis and Angel Islands. Add that to the various religious groups and countries that settled in parts of America (French in the border with Canada as well as the Louisiana territory, the Spanish in Florida, the English song the eastern seaboard and the Hessans from Germany that fought along with the crown during the Revolutionary War.) To hate this is to hate the ideals of our nation even back in the early Constitutional days of Washington, Adams and Jefferson.

America is a melting pot, not a salad bowl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies