Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 02:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I've never experienced it myself. I think the closest we came was Brian Mulroney. He wasn't a fan of the media and he let them know, other than that nothing much really stands out.

Welp, good luck!
Trump won, so we won't find out anytime soon what it is like. We came close though as it appeared Hillary might actually win.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:14 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
But won the one that counts.
He won 32 of the 50 popular votes giving him 302 electoral votes.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:18 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
I've never experienced it myself. I think the closest we came was Brian Mulroney. He wasn't a fan of the media and he let them know, other than that nothing much really stands out.

Welp, good luck!

I'll bet if I ( an American ) posted this after a Canadian election on a Canada web site, I would get a warning for trolling !

Old 01-24-2017, 03:25 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Yes. The US should have excluded my ancestors if they did not swear allegiance to the United States, and did not demonstrate civic competence and the ability to express profound support for core American values: Freedom, Individualism, Capitalism, and the Right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
In English, the language of America.

And if my ancestors agreed with the premise that one should die for being an atheist, and that one should die for leaving his or her family's faith, then they should have been excluded from immigration to a country that values freedom above all else.

All immigrants should be screened and vetted, and they should only be admitted after demonstrating that they favor our core values, seek to take them as their own, and speak our language and can express the sentiment of wanting to JOIN OUR CULTURE and melt into the melting pot.

Otherwise, there are a whole host of horrific medieval theocracies where such people might be happier. Go there.
How do immigrants "demonstrate civic competence and ability to express profound support for core American values"? Is there some objective way to measure that?

Because, the fact is, immigrants WEREN'T "screened and vetted," at the time your family came. In addition, most immigrants from, say, Italy and Germany, retained their cultures and languages (which I have no problem with, but you do, at least if the immigrants aren't Italian, apparently). Many couldn't speak English even after decades here.

And, have all Italian immigrants been pillars of the community with profound support for core American values? No, they haven't (I'm a child of immigrant myself, and I KNOW that not all immigrants from my own European heritage have been stellar citizens, either). So, it seems that if we were to follow your logic, YOUR family would have been denied entry, and YOU wouldn't be here, dictating which immigrants should and should be allowed to come now.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:08 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
What's it like with a mad man leading me?

Bracing. Kind of like leaning into a hurricane. For an aging guy, it's not a bad feeling. Makes me want to man the barricades again, like I did back in the day.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:21 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
He won 32 of the 50 popular votes giving him 302 electoral votes.
Yes.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:10 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I'll bet if I ( an American ) posted this after a Canadian election on a Canada web site, I would get a warning for trolling !
Not likely!

There were many such posts by Americans after Trudeau won the last election .
There were many such posts by Americans after he authorized refugees from Iraq .
There were many such posts by Americans after he authorized refugees from Syria .

Nobody got foisted for Trolling.

Stop whining.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:14 PM

1,740 posts, read 957,609 times
Quote:

Welp, good luck!
I don't know; you tell me. Rob Ford was YOUR mayor.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:34 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
How do immigrants "demonstrate civic competence and ability to express profound support for core American values"? Is there some objective way to measure that?

Because, the fact is, immigrants WEREN'T "screened and vetted," at the time your family came. In addition, most immigrants from, say, Italy and Germany, retained their cultures and languages (which I have no problem with, but you do, at least if the immigrants aren't Italian, apparently). Many couldn't speak English even after decades here.

And, have all Italian immigrants been pillars of the community with profound support for core American values? No, they haven't (I'm a child of immigrant myself, and I KNOW that not all immigrants from my own European heritage have been stellar citizens, either). So, it seems that if we were to follow your logic, YOUR family would have been denied entry, and YOU wouldn't be here, dictating which immigrants should and should be allowed to come now.

First, they demonstrate English competency. If I were anticipating a move to France, I wouldn't dream of showing up there unless I was competent in French. Second, they take a civics test where they demonstrate understanding and support for American values. Here's question 37: If a member of your chosen faith decides to renounce belief and live as an atheist or a Christian, do you support their right to do that?

Questions like that. They have to state that they believe in freedom, liberty, Capitalism, and I would also have an essay test if it were up to me where they explain why. The actual test can be designed by the experts. But all immigrants should be tested and should state compliance with advanced Western values. And the test should be offered in only one language: English.

Oh and they must bring cash to the United States. I'd say $100,000. Maybe $50,000. You don't show up here broke. We don't need broke immigrants, we need the best and brightest from other lands, not the flotsam and jetsam.

As far as culture, you can do what you want in your home or event space. But you must explicitly support the principles of our culture when applying for entry. If you want to eat matzah balls or halal meat or sushi or gyros and dance to Armenian music at your family celebrations, go right ahead.

As far as my family coming here, they were the best and brightest of the time, which knowing me has to be considered obvious. Nonetheless, if they didn't speak English and couldn't demonstrate proficiency in American history and values, then they should have been barred, and I should be writing posts on City-Data of Florence.

Bottom line? We need standards. We cannot allow ourselves to be overrun by hostile aliens and "refugees" like we see in Germany, France and Great Britain. They are realizing the huge error in allowing ghettos to form in their countries populated by hostile imports who don't give a rat's azz about freedom or individual rights. And who are prone to irrational religious nonsense and frequent terrorism and terroristic plots. Brexit was the start, Trump is a continuation, and you are going to see people waking up throughout Europe.

Enough is enough.

Finally, all immigrants who are accepted are on probation and barred from welfare, food stamps, health care, and social programs of any type for at least 10 years. And if convicted of any felony or misdemeanor? OUT THE DOOR. IMMEDIATELY.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 01-24-2017 at 08:07 PM..

Old 01-24-2017, 07:42 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Well we just lived through 8 years of a man who fundenatally hates America , the constitution and the average middle class citizen. Was it rough!? You bet ya ... the problem is ... there's a few clones of him left in the world . Trudeau , Merkel, Hollande, and the other guy in Italy . Luckily, their platform of progressive liberalism is failing at a fast pace. Once the average middle class citizen realizes that these progressive liberal tyrants are destroying the country from within , they eventually vote them out . Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies