Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 12:38 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMF View Post
I'm not the one that will come up with the punishment to any crime. I can't estimate what the court would see fit. I would think that if this law was put into place, along with it would be alternatives to abortion in the form of more support for foster care and adoptions.
There's always room for improvement with adoptions. Too many couples are wanting to raise a family but aren't able to have their own child. It's expensive to go that route, and some have to resort to less expensive options that may provide them a child but one that isn't in the best of health due to the funds currently provided for by that adoption agency. Whatever the choice, something needs to be done to stop the, what I consider, murder of innocent children yet to be born.
Crimes are categorized by severity and the level of severity is listed in the penal code. It's up to legislatures to determine how severely a crime will be punished. If you were to write to your local representatives, what punishment would suggest for a woman who procures an abortion? If you treat it as a misdemeanor, it would most likely be punished by a fine or a term of imprisonment of less than a year. If you treat it as a felony, the term could be from probation up to life or the death penalty, depending on how it's categorized.

You're the one advocating punishment. What range of punishment would you like to see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 12:40 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,616 times
Quote:
something needs to be done to stop the, what I consider, murder of innocent children yet to be born.
So to that end, would making birth control more readily available, even free, make sense?

Old 01-27-2017, 12:41 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Finally, we have a march of the Real Women and Mothers of this nation. Those women who would fight with their lives for their children, who would protect their children at any cost, who cherish their young and are beyond playing power games with a unborn child's life.

These are our beautiful women. Above threats of violence, petty attacks on a 10 year old boy and divisive rhetoric not worthy of the mothers and daughters who went before. In fact, they would be ashamed and truly disappointed at the ugly bitterness of Liberal women.
There's nothing pretty about those, male or female, who seek to impose their own beliefs on others.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:42 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
And, for the record, yes, obviously from my posts you can tell that I am pro-life.
I don't 'shame' anybody - and I think that sex is a wonderful thing, so I'd certainly never shame a woman for having it - or the guy she had it with... I would hope though, that she and he would be responsible and have protected sex (condom/birth control pill) and not use an abortion as a form of birth control.
That's what we all hope--even those of us that are pro-choice. We all want every child to be planned, or if not planned, welcome and wanted.

Studies have shown that easy access to free birth control is a very effective means of reducing abortion. But any time it's suggested that public money be used to pay for it, many pro-lifers balk at it, saying that the individuals should be responsible. Of course they should be, but why not make it as easy and cheap as possible to obtain?

I don't understand feeling passionate about stopping abortion on one hand, and also refusing to pay to help stop abortion on the other hand.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:46 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
I cannot express what it means to me as a Catholic to see the VP of the US speak out for the unborn. He referenced the Declaration of Independence on the guarantee of LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. A great day in America.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I never had a problem getting cheap, easy birth control and I've never stepped foot in a PP office.

By the way, it doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach to abortion for most folks. Though personally I would have a hard time justifying an abortion (for myself) for rape, I wouldn't expect or require another woman to continue a pregnancy caused by rape. Same with incest, pregnancies at a very young age, and of course any situation where the mother's life was actually in serious danger.

For instance, I know a woman who had two small kids. She then got pregnant, and during her third pregnancy, she was diagnosed with some sort of weird cancer that pregnancy actually made more aggressive (something to do with hormones). Her doctors told her that she needed an abortion immediately because the cancer would nearly certainly kill her if not treated immediately and the treatment would be fatal to her unborn child.

Now - I would have had an abortion. It would have been a terrible decision for me but that's what I probably would have done. Instead, she chose to protect her unborn child's life. The baby was born via caesarean at about 28 weeks and had to spend several weeks in NICU but she did survive with no long term health issues. The mother lived, against her doctor's prognosis, through the surgery and actually for nearly two more years (she began cancer treatments as soon as she could after the birth of the baby).

So now - her baby is a young woman, and the mother is dead. So who knows what the most moral decision was?

But that story is the EXCEPTION to the rules, and not many pro lifers I know would take a firm stand against abortion in the cases of rape, incest, or danger to the life of the mother.

Unfortunately, though people trot out these three as if most abortions were due to these few truly heart rending scenarios, most abortions are NOT performed for these reasons.

What horrifies most pro life folks is that so many abortions are performed simply because the pregnancy - and a child - would be inconvenient or maybe even difficult for the woman. Consequently we have:

Around 1,000,000 abortions per year in the US ("good news" is that at least that figure has lowered from 2011).

Racially, the number of abortions is disproportionate, meaning that Hispanic women and non white women have much higher rates of abortion than white, non Hispanic women.

Medicaid (ie, tax dollars) pays for abortions in 15 states. Considering that many sane and reasonable tax payers truly believe that human life starts at conception (and there's never been a scientific study that proves otherwise), this can be particularly galling - even horrifying - to them.

Three fourths of women seeking abortions give their reason(s) for obtaining an abortion as convenience related - ie, wanting to finish school first, not thinking they can afford a baby right now, etc. Honestly, and I think everyone knows this so let's just be intellectually honest about it - "affording" a child is very subjective. People have many different concepts of whether or not they can "afford" a baby. Fifty one percent of those obtaining an abortion had above the federal poverty rate in income. About 25 percent (that would be 250,000 or so abortions - some would say human lives), were well above federal low income rates.

https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-shee...FYa3wAod5acC-A

I'm not looking for an argument - I realized a long time ago that neither "side" is likely to budge. It's just that as a woman who is opposed to most abortions, I am inundated all the time with pro-choice language, images, marches, etc. I understand how "the other side" feels, especially since there were several times in my own life that I could have legally and justifiably (to most folks) had an abortion or encouraged my daughters to have abortions. Pregnancy can be really, really scary and inconvenient at times. But I posted this in the probably vain attempt to help others understand how many pro life proponents really do think and feel about the issue.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:48 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I cannot express what it means to me as a Catholic to see the VP of the US speak out for the unborn. He referenced the Declaration of Independence on the guarantee of LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. A great day in America.

No offense but as a recovering Catholic I can't express how little respect I have for an organization that protected those who prey on children.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:51 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
So to that end, would making birth control more readily available, even free, make sense?
There is an abundance of sources for free condoms already.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:52 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
That's what we all hope--even those of us that are pro-choice. We all want every child to be planned, or if not planned, welcome and wanted.

Studies have shown that easy access to free birth control is a very effective means of reducing abortion. But any time it's suggested that public money be used to pay for it, many pro-lifers balk at it, saying that the individuals should be responsible. Of course they should be, but why not make it as easy and cheap as possible to obtain?

I don't understand feeling passionate about stopping abortion on one hand, and also refusing to pay to help stop abortion on the other hand.
For the record, I'm totally pro-choice.

But FYI, there are many many places that give away free condoms.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:56 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
For the record, I'm totally pro-choice.

But FYI, there are many many places that give away free condoms.
There are more forms of BC than just condoms. BC pills require a prescription and a yearly exam. IUDs require a doctor to insert them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies