Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 06:53 AM

51,614 posts, read 25,661,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Yet, here you are, alive and kicking. Enjoying music, dogs, horses, books, TV, friends, while claiming that others who may face the difficult childhood you did shouldn't have the chance to outgrow those problems. I don't believe for one second you'd rather have not existed than be who you are today.
You don't know what you're talking about.

A lot of people wish they had never been born. They lead tortured lives and some end up suiciding.

People don't "outgrow" abusive childhoods. They may come to terms with it, but they don't "outgrow" their childhoods. They carry it with them the rest of their lives.

There are countless people born to women who didn't want them, who struggle with the mistaken belief that the people around them don't want them there.

In any case, if you were never born, you would never know the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 09:09 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,653,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Excellent. That's perfect.

Marlow2020.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
And done.

Anyone want to move on to gun control? Maybe we can wrap that up neatly, too
Thank you. I'll be announcing my candidacy soon. Apparently any monkey can be elected president so it might as well be me.

I've never understood the whole argument about whether a person would rather be born or not. I was wanted and loved and have lived a pretty good life. But if I hadn't been born, I wouldn't be in some other dimension, looking at earth and wishing I were here. Given the rates of spontaneous miscarriage, billions of "people" haven't been born. Does anyone think they are off somewhere regretting it?

The same is true of the argument that "I'm glad XXXX was born and not aborted. XXXX is wonderful and I love XXXXX." I can pretty much guarantee that a woman in your family or circle of acquaintances has had an abortion. Do you miss that person? Of course not. You can't miss a person who was never born.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:05 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,484,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

A lot of people wish they had never been born. They lead tortured lives and some end up suiciding.

People don't "outgrow" abusive childhoods. They may come to terms with it, but they don't "outgrow" their childhoods. They carry it with them the rest of their lives.

There are countless people born to women who didn't want them, who struggle with the mistaken belief that the people around them don't want them there.

Your final sentence is extremely dopey.

Thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of people with unhappy childhoods come to terms, many are now quite famous, happy, successful. Besides that, among those with bad childhoods are people whose parents did want children.

There are good reasons to keep abortion legal; yours is not among them.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:57 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,451,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Having some experience in the child abuse area as a public health nurse, while no means an expert, I can tell you that abortion will not and does not solve the problem of child abuse. There is evidence that most abused kids actually were wanted.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:45 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,844,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Yet, here you are, alive and kicking. Enjoying music, dogs, horses, books, TV, friends, while claiming that others who may face the difficult childhood you did shouldn't have the chance to outgrow those problems. I don't believe for one second you'd rather have not existed than be who you are today.

If you don't mind my saying so, from the common sense, intelligence, and passion of your post, people who've known you benefitted from you being around.
Thank you, it's a small way of giving back to so many who have helped me.

But you have no idea what I've gone through in my life. I left home when I was 17 to get away from my parents. It was only luck that kept me off the streets. It's only because of my solitary nature I didn't take up with criminals. It's only because I could never afford the drugs and the alcohol that I'm not self medicating with those today.

You look at those things I enjoy and then try to figure out why I never made a career out of doing any of them, why I am 60 and living in subsidized housing, why I never got married or had kids. The depression has been never-ending and I am still going to a therapist and will be on fluoxetine for the rest of my life. I've been unable to afford both it and therapy at times and again, it's only luck that has kept me from killing myself at those times.

My parents, to phrase Michael Crichton, were the match that set the fire. The match is out but the fire is still burning. I've been able to lead a somewhat normal life but even with all the help, I've never been able to completely move past the abuse in my childhood.

I can't tell you if other people would have been or will be better off if I hadn't been here. All I know is I am still convinced that I would have been better off if I hadn't been here. Yes, if I could go back and choose, I would still choose to not have been born.

It's not just the abusive childhood, it's the life that follows and goes on and on and on.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:00 AM

3,843 posts, read 4,507,021 times
Tiny hummingbird egg stalls project to upgrade a Bay Area bridge

http://flip.it/kumz0W

Protecting an unborn humming bird seems quite important.

This past year I've been doing a lot more thinking about the abortion issue. I never was for it, but always thought of it as a personal choice. Still not convinced it should be outlawed completely, but I've definitely come to the conclusion that ones journey in life truly begins at conception. That blueprint for a unique human being is irreplaceable, and has objective worth regardless of the circumstances.

Anyway, glad to see the DC march got some air time... I don't remember hearing about it in the past
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies