Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 03:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I'm impressed that people are starting to get the idea.
I wasn't for Trump during the primaries for many of the same reason's most Dems are going nuts over today, however I got on board after hearing his acceptance speech as the Republican nominee and after watching a collage of youtube videos that showed interviews with him dating back to the 80s. He's been fairly consistent on his views of healthcare and taking a business approach to running the country for several decades now. He's been against the loss of American manufacturing from the beginning.

Getting the Europeans to fund their own damn defense is genius. Currently only 5 out of 28 NATO countries are meeting their financial commitments to defense, yet we get a lecture about how we're the world's police and over militarized. This is from the people who we've had to bail out of two world wars.

Allowing manufacturing to disappear in the name of globalism while this seemingly doesn't apply to countries like Germany is just lazy. I'm glad somebody actually is putting up a fight now.

Meeting with CEOs and Union bosses is awesome. Apparently Trump asked how many of the CEO's have ever been to the oval office. Only 3 raised their hand. Apparently nobody has actually asked them what it would take for them to keep jobs in the US. They were just hoping the global economy would do its thing and allow the consequences to fall where they may.

He's not entirely conservative nor liberal. For anyone who's wanted a 3rd party candidate this is your guy.

The only downside is him getting caught up in media frenzy over stupid nonsense like crowd sizes and popular vote. I know that's his weak spot, but I hope he can see past it and just get things done. At the very least, hopefully it'll jump start the Republican party into tapping into the Blue Dog Democrats. That should lead inroads into getting the black vote (most black people I know are socially conservative). Let the Dems worry about LBGT and illegals.
Your last paragraph is spot on.

Presidents arguing with the media is a colossal waste of time. It's childish and unpresidential. Use the presidency as your bully pulpit, and make your case directly. Don't argue with news and print media. It's unbecoming.

Trump and his supporters might not think so, but he can't defeat the networks no matter what. Arguing with people that order the figurative "ink" by the ship load is a recipe for disaster. They won't lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Trump is doing more things than he promised than any other president I have lived through and it's only week one.
That's an exaggeration. Don't get carried away. A lot of it has been useless.

Yeah, he's done a few great things and made some positive pronouncements.

Leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 03:38 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
....however, it's early. So...

He's said a few stupid things, but that's to be expected from someone as garrulous as he is.

Moreover, I take no issue with him pulling outta the TPP. Dems should've told Obama to drop it. Hopefully, Trump will find a way to wiggle out of some of these other trade agreements.

His speech to the CEO's was actually a good one...if he means it. Again, this is something that a Democratic president should've said to CEO's years ago. Funny thing is, if Obama or Clinton had sat CEO's down and threatened them this way, Republicans would've had a fit. But right now, they're scared to say anything in the face of Trump's populism.

The other things that Trump has done or said are just grandstanding. Federal employment freeze? Meh...bloviating. Obama did that already. Besides, if you're exempting the Pentagon, it's a waste of time.

That Mexico City abortion thing? Meaningless. Next Dem president will reverse it.

Cutting regulations by 75%? Yeah...OK.

More tax cuts? The Republican cure for cancer and Ebola. Unless he can figure out how to fill that revenue hole (and don't tell me that it'll be filled with all the jobs he'll create...I'm not falling for that one), I'm not paying that any attention. Not worth bothering with.

So overall, I'm giving him a passing grade as I see what the overall tone of his administration will be. And I'll avoid being overly critical until then.

All these stupid controversies about crowd sizes, false media, his son Barron, his tax returns, etc...not worth my time. Folks should just drop it.

What DOES interest me however is this: forget the Democrats! Trump is charting a course that is set to collide big time with the orthodoxy of his party. The TPP pullout hasn't raised much rancor in Republican circles for all to hear, but there's no doubt that certain Repubs are seething.

Of course, I'm getting a good laugh at Republican voters pretending as if they've been against these free trade agreements all along. We all know that it total bullshucks and a complete canard. As this link I'm about to post points out, Republicans have been in the forefront of these agreements right from the beginning...and this most certainly sets up for an interesting showdown between Trump and the corporate Republicans in Congress ....which is almost EVERY Republican in Washington. Love it or hate it, that's the truth.

Anyway, I'm placing my bets with Mr Trump in the battle.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/power...2e5a8#comments
Re: The bolded

I have no problems with that. The ones that seethe will find themselves booted out when we have the chance. Some of them were not booted out this time, unfortunately, but I have hope that Conservatives will pay very close attention to just who, among Republicans, is throwing a fit.

As for the rest of it: I don't care if you don't like him, all that is asked is give him a chance. And trust me, if he screws up royal, the Repubs and Conservatives will be right there with you admonishing him.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Good balanced post. (without alot of partisan mickey mouse...good for you.) & I agree with you on the "stupid controversies".

I'm repping you. Partly because of this excellent OP.... and partly because you were giving props to (& sticking up for) for the wonderful Sam Moore.
Thanks...I'm not the devil around here. I'm serially fair if people would just examine my posts instead of just being pyssed at everything I say. They're barking up the wrong tree anyway...I usually end up getting the better of them if it's nothing more than getting under their skins.

And yes...I'll ALWAYS defend Sam Moore. Really, it was a stupid controversy to begin with. Anyone who was asked should've performed. You're not doing it for Trump. It's a celebration of a peaceful transition of power. That's an honor. But I'm a patriot...maybe I'm just behind the times or something. Lol

Old 01-24-2017, 03:47 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Who is pretending that "there is no such thing as climate change?"

And when has Trump proposed that "LGBT citizens should not be treated equally?"
Why'd they disappear from whitehouse.gov and why did his candidate for the EPA turn out to be a climate change denier?

Old 01-24-2017, 03:54 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Why'd they disappear from whitehouse.gov and why did his candidate for the EPA turn out to be a climate change denier?
It was archived and moved to the Obama website by his administration. Trump had nothing to do with this.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/

Old 01-24-2017, 03:56 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Let me tag in on this part about "certain repubs seething.

That's an absolute fact. The thing I think a lot of people are missing is that Donald Trump was nominated as a rejection of the Republican party. First and foremost, republican primary voters stuck their thumbs in the eyes of the Republican establishment.

Yes he has become a firebrand where democrats are concerned but don't forget that the guy put it to republicans first, and in his inaugural speech he took shots at them again. He also let the republicans have it when House Republicans tried to get rid of an ethics panel they didn't like. He stopped them dead in their tracks.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It was archived and moved to the Obama website by his administration. Trump had nothing to do with this.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/
As Rakin pointed out they weren't deleted they were moved. And that move was not done by the Trump team, it was done by the Obama team. This is in keeping with how things are done. whitehouse.gov is cleared of administration policy and position information when a president leaves office. This is done to allow the incoming president to set up the site in keeping with their own priorities.

keeping these things separate, it is very clear that Mr. Trumps climate perspective is not the same as Mr. Obama. That we all knew going in.

However, Mr. Trump has been far more open to LGBT than any republican president. He has flat stated he agrees with SCOTUS on gay marriage. He was forceful in the wake of the Orlando shooting not just talking about terror but the fact that gay people were targeted and he had gave a prime time speaking spot to a gay person at the republican convention. There is very little that a gay person should be taking issue with where Mr. Trumps actions and policies are concerned.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Trump is doing more things than he promised than any other president I have lived through and it's only week one.
well, he has certainly had a good few days. but we are talking days only and Mr. Trumps predecessor made it easy, but using executive order to govern. Mr. Trump doesn't need to lean on congress for these agenda moves.

and while we are speaking of Mr. Trumps predecessor, Mr Obama had about as productive a first 2 years as any president I can think of.... and I've spent a lot of time studying presidential history. Now, I cannot name much at all I agreed with. but he certainly was very effective.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
He just signed (yet another) executive order to go forward with the DAPL, in which he holds a financial interest.
This has already cleared all the legal and regulatory hurdles and it's only the unprecedented meddling of the Obama admin that held it up. Any actions by Trump will only set it back on a normal course.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:47 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
I agree mostly with what you said what a shock eh...lol...I was against those trade treaties and voted for Ross Perot I was ready for a little pain but now it will be excruciating pain with the 20 trillion dollar debt.
Actually what is the plan to cut the debt? How much are we cutting by? And what's the time line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies