Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 07:21 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times

Advertisements

In his inauguration speech Trump described shuttered factories in the Rust Belt and violence/problems in the inner cities as "American Carnage."

Michael Moore has made millions of dollars in profit describing shuttered factories in the Rust Belt and gun violence.....his films Roger and Me and Bowling to Columbine quickly come to mind. So then he dismisses Trump's point and calls for an end to "Trump's carnage?"

For years I have heard Democrats touch on these very same themes...yet I don't really hear any Democrats that aren't dismissing the speech and/or criticizing it.

On TV I hear Democrats dismissing violence as not a big deal and down from the 1990s, while ignoring that it is still way up from the 1950s, still much higher than Canada, Japan, China, Western Europe, still ignoring that although violence is down nationwide it is in fact increasing in many inner cities, that the Democrats repeatedly call for more gun control to stop shootings (aka carnage), etc...

Bernie rallied against outsourcing, unfair trade deals, and needs to reduce gun violence through more regulations to huge ovations.

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
The "American Carnage" of mile after mile of huge, shuttered manufacturing plants have been going on since the 1970s. Numerous steel plants in the northeast part of the country were affected. People from Buffalo, NY know what it was like. Why didn't Reagan in the 1980s call this "American Carnage" and so something about it? Trump is decades late about it.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:39 PM

245 posts, read 311,364 times
First of all, yes, it is a double standard because it's a Republican criticizing Obama's job.

Secondly, I think it's because the connotation of "American Carnage" is that it's actually "their" fault. That the solution is stronger law & order. Liberals don't like this because they generally believe that all of minorities' problems are caused by "the system." That's why they always blame the police, lack of education, and racism for all the problems.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
The "American Carnage" of mile after mile of huge, shuttered manufacturing plants have been going on since the 1970s. Numerous steel plants in the northeast part of the country were affected. People from Buffalo, NY know what it was like. Why didn't Reagan in the 1980s call this "American Carnage" and so something about it? Trump is decades late about it.
What does my post have to do with Reagan?

I hear countless democrats including Bernie and Michael Moore blast the outsourcing, shuttered factories, and etc...which have created the "Rust Belt." They get a large applause from liberals for it.

Trump blasts it and it is condemned by liberals.

Michael Moore dismissed Trump and his American Carnage -- yet Moore has made millions of dollars from liberal consumers describing American Carnage in his films.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:53 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,222,313 times
Trump loves to get under liberals skin. He just tweeted.

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
Donald J. Trump – Verified account ‏@realDonaldTrump

If Chicago doesn't fix the horrible "carnage" going on, 228 shootings in 2017 with 42 killings (up 24% from 2016), I will send in the Feds!
6:25 PM - 24 Jan 2017
11.6K RETWEETS36.7K LIKES

Old 01-24-2017, 07:56 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Totally makes sense. Chicago had 762 homicides in 2016. The homicide rate is already higher than that so far this year.

Does anyone think there anything normal about this?

Old 01-24-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Is he getting under the liberals skin or is he describing a real problem that is horrifying for the children of inner city Chicago?

Most presidents look the other way, we need an adult willing to roll up his/her sleeves and try to solve it.

I don't know how to solve it. Perhaps not criminalizing non-violent crimes would put more fathers back in homes and out of jail. 74% of Detroit kids don't live with their dad - that could be a start.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Ahhh stop. "Carnage" implies a wide spread dystopian country. We don't have that. Crime is down vastly over 20 years ago. Yes it could get better but I find the discussion with my children most interesting. I point out how they helicopter parent their children even though they grew up in a crime climate twice as bad without that. They reluctantly agree but claim it feels worse.

Economically we suffer from the gains in productivity mainly. The actual output of the US is at or close to an all time high. The problem is we do it with far less workers. And that is only going to get worse over the next decades whether Trump or anyone else. It is clearly coming and no Luddite crusade will stop it.

There is no carnage. There are no bodies in the street in the vast majority of the country and they are rare in the bad areas.

Trump again simply lies to appeal to that small part of the population that has, in fact, suffered in the changing of the economy. And it got him elected. But it does not put the vast majority of us into a carnage situation. And it is to rough a term for being simpy hyperbola. He is simply selling to his contingent...and screw the rest of us.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:00 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
As a native of Youngstown I believe "carnage" is an understatement.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:00 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,222,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Is he getting under the liberals skin or is he describing a real problem that is horrifying for the children of inner city Chicago?

Most presidents look the other way, we need an adult willing to roll up his/her sleeves and try to solve it.

I don't know how to solve it. Perhaps not criminalizing non-violent crimes would put more fathers back in homes and out of jail. 74% of Detroit kids don't live with their dad - that could be a start.
I agree with Trump on this. I love how he picks up on how effective a word like "carnage" is and just keeps repeating it. Then the media runs with it basically as his PR team not realizing it. Pure genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies