Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 12:37 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,609,830 times

Advertisements

The word "pragmatist" have been thrown around a lot in the last week. Most done by Trump supporters when they need to defend the action of their man. The key thing here, is with Trump elected as president, so-called conservatives have to really evaluate whether or not they actually hold conservatism as a value. Trump, under no definition is a conservative. So in that respect you have to ask if anyone who promotes Trumps idea an actual conservative as well? The response is always he's a "pragmatist".

See on the surface pragamatism seems cool. You're not some ideologue, it shows some flexibility in thinking, and it shows a willingness to just "get things done". In my personal life, I'm a pragmastist, and you should be one too. You see if I do something and I fail, I'm usually failing alone. I'm not really dragging anyone down with my inability to succeed.

But you see pragmatism is different when it comes to politics. Because when you are a pragmatist, you are on the hook for a lot of people. This is why principles matter. This is why when I say someone isn't conservative, it isn't to make them feel bad. It is to let them know they need to reevaluate their principals. A pragmatic politician is only pragmatic when it comes to his/her own interest. Clinton was a pragamatist, Obama was a pragamatist. They just weren't pragmatic in ways you agree with.

If anyone is pragmatic they don't respect anything. They can just as soon expand their "pragmatism" to the constitution. I mean it's a pesky document that gets in the way of things, and things need to get done. Oh yeah, just bypass it. That's a pragmatic way of thinking.

This is why we need people who respect and adhere to principals. What we have in America is a succcession of pragmastist. Not sticking to the principals of why America is great. It's easy to pump your fist and wave the American flag and talk about how great we are. It's another thing to know these principals, believe in them, and hold them up in the highest esteem. Even when it's uncomfortable to do so. you know the system is being respected and never being abused.

When you see Trump signing executive orders, threatening to march into Chicago with "feds", trying to tell businesses who to hire, you don't go for that. That is not what conservatism is. And if you're a principled small government conservative, you won't go for it. It's because you know why these principals exist, why they work, and why they shouldn't be taken for granted. But a real conservative would have never voted Trump in office to begin with.

Leaders are principled, politicians are pragmatist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies