Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:31 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,731 times

Advertisements

I guess I'll be selling my preciously held positions in my natural gas companies on Monday. Obama to use restrictions on drilling for oil AND NATURAL GAS! How very, very nice! Natural gas was was one the key components in numerous models to our enegry independence. Has he lost his mind? Has he seen the 300% increase in home heating bills in the past 4 years? The dude is a fruitcake, I tell ya! If Democrats back the ban on drilling for Natural gas, you are all screwed. I invest and follow the natural gas markets intimately and if he signs this ban into affect, your bill doubles in 2-3 years, I promise you that! As if it has not already went up enought.

What a joke!

Obama to use executive orders for immediate impact - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081109/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 04:40 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,752,210 times
Well thanks Obama.

I live in Wyoming. Our economy relies heavily upon our ability to market our natural resources. We've fought boom and bust cycles for longer than we've been a state. While the rest of the U.S. has been suffering, we FINALLY have a period of financial stability. If our ability to drill natural gas is hampered, we'll be right back in the bust cycle faster than you can say "executive order."

Old 11-09-2008, 04:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
but, but, but, Obama will give everyone $500

Old 11-09-2008, 04:41 PM

713 posts, read 1,866,455 times
So much for "energy independence." I guess it's ok for hostile foreign powers to "damage" their environment, but it's not ok for us.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:42 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
I guess I'll be selling my preciously held positions in my natural gas companies on Monday. Obama to use restrictions on drilling for oil AND NATURAL GAS! How very, very nice! Natural gas was was one the key components in numerous models to our enegry independence. Has he lost his mind? Has he seen the 300% increase in home heating bills in the past 4 years? The dude is a fruitcake, I tell ya! If Democrats back the ban on drilling for Natural gas, you are all screwed. I invest and follow the natural gas markets intimately and if he signs this ban into affect, your bill doubles in 2-3 years, I promise you that! As if it has not already went up enought.

What a joke!

Obama to use executive orders for immediate impact - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081109/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama - broken link)
If you 'invest' then you know your stock just plummeted and companys like Chesapeake lost controlling interest on margin calls and are looking at take-overs.

That the economy going bust has hurt them, because they cant get the prices they want, good for us-- bad for them. They Have pulled back on drilling. So you know what, they have pulled back on drilling voluntarily so... saying no to drilling in sensitive areas, WILL NOT HURT prices or the Industry.

Quote:
"They want to have oil and gas drilling in some of the a most sensitive, fragile lands in Utah," Podesta said. "I think that's a mistake."
Dont expect a president not to use executive orders, every other one did-- did you NOT READ THE ARTICLE? He is undoing an idiot BUSH presidents narcissistic rampage to line his own pockets.

I am from Oklahoma, my family works for this Industry. I doubt any of you complaining really understand this situation at all.

Last edited by chasingclouds; 11-09-2008 at 04:56 PM..

Old 11-09-2008, 04:45 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,804 times
He is going to take note of scientific research and use his executive powers for the common good, not the big corporations and religious zealots. No more legislating everybody's morals based on an extreme minority point of view.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:46 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,852,080 times
So, when Bush uses EO to open up drilling in environmentally sensitive areas, IN CONTRAVENTION OF THE LAW, it's OK. But when Obama countermands it, that's not OK? Is that what you're saying?

I haven't checked lately but last time I looked Bush had used more EOs to countermand CONGRESSIONALLY PASSED laws than any other President. And he has definitely used more signing statements to do so.

But you people worry "activist judges"? Please.

Besides, we've got all those trillions of cubic feet of gas coming through that pipeline that Sarah Palin built for us. Why not just use that gas? Oh, it's not coming through the pipeline yet. Oh, the pipeline isn't finished yet. Oh, the pipeline isn't started yet. Does that mean that SP told us YET ANOTHER LIE?

golfgod

Old 11-09-2008, 04:46 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
"perhaps" is the key word in the sentence...read the article. Podesta was commenting on land just opened up in Utah.

IOW, it's way too early to panic, unless you want to of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
That the economy going bust has hurt them, because they cant get the prices they want, good for us-- bad for them. They Have pulled back on drilling. So you know what, they have pulled back on drilling voluntarily so... saying no to drilling in sensitive areas, WILL NOT HURT prices or the Industry.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:48 PM

438 posts, read 503,499 times
He is planning to use his E.O. to undo the damage caused by the Bush admin. In other words, the pendulum swung soo far right that Obama only wants it to come back towards the center. Bush is busy passing through Deregulation and Anti environmental laws in these waning days.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:48 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,258,578 times
I can't wait. You should be happy because he's following in the footsteps of bush who issued more executive orders and signing statements than any in history.
Finally, we have a president that cares about public health. Obama is expected to call for greater regulation on imported food and drugs (think China). Biologic drugs not made from chemicals but from living cells, and represent the cutting edge of medical treatment for many intractable diseases will be given a boost. The FDA is expected to review and approve generic versions of biologic drugs. Brand name biologics are very expensive, easily costing $1,000 a month or more. (Brand name drugmakers are already quaking in their boots). Tobacco products could be made less toxic and addictive under new power given to the FDA under a bill that has already been co-sponsored by President-elect Obama. bush threatened a veto on this bill. The article mentions possible candidates to lead the FDA.

Clips:
The Food and Drug Administration, bedeviled by a salmonella outbreak and tainted medicine from China, is likely to monitor imports and fresh produce more closely under an Obama administration.
With President Bush no longer a roadblock, health officials also can expect new powers to control tobacco, from cigarettes to the recently introduced smokeless products called snus.
Long seen as the government's premier consumer protection agency, the FDA stumbled under Bush. Recurring drug and food safety lapses came against a backdrop of shrinking budgets and long periods without a permanent leader. In Congress, a senior Republican complained the FDA had gotten too cozy with industry.
The Associated Press: Obama expected to bolster FDA oversight of imports
Clip from NYT Article:
In that same vein, the Obama transition team has identified executive orders he can sign in the first hours and days of his presidency to demonstrate action, even as the more ambitious promises take more time. Among other things, he can reverse a variety of Bush policies, like restrictions on abortion counseling and stem-cell research.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/us...gewanted=print (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies