Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 01:02 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times

Advertisements

Trump IS right that the Chicago police aren't doing their job. If they simply increased police presence on the streets, and thoroughly investigated shootings, the homicide rate would go down. No arrest quotas, no stop and frisk; simple police presence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 01:04 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, you are half right, so to speak.

Per capita numbers are a better indicator of problem cities.
Then to solve it, look deeper into the demographics.
If solving the problem involves looking into demographics, then what do YOU suggest we do, that is within Constitutional limits?

Old 01-25-2017, 01:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
President Trump made a promise and he is making the effort to keep them. That is refreshing.

"Together, we will determine the course of America and the world for many, many years to come. We will face challenges. We will confront hardships. But we will get the job done."

Six months from now we will be living in a different America. One where the carnage is coming to an end. The anarchy is coming to a halt. Liberals can delay the change but it is coming and will not be stopped. The Justice Department is no longer going to be on the side of the thugs and criminals. The violence by the left will no longer be given a pass.

This is Business Day 3 of his Administration. I have no expectations Trump would or could do anything to "stop the carnage" in Chicago.

A tweet is not an effort. A threat is not an effort. Trump's tweet was a personal reaction that followed a Bill O' Reilly Segment on "Carnage" in Chicago. The tweet used the language and stats that were posted on the O' Reilly Show.

https://mediamatters.org/blog/2017/0...segment/215115

Old 01-25-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I haven't done any research, I was just wondering if there was an announcement that I missed.

I know Trump said he would send in the feds, but I haven't seen anymore than that.
There has been no follow up.

Trump's tweet followed a segment on the O' Reilly Show whereby O'Reilly's scripters referred to the shootings as "carnage". Trump lifted the term and the stats off the O' Reilly show.

No one knows what he meant by send the feds in.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:15 PM

Here is the truth. You can't fix hood rat. Martial law hasn't fixed it before, it won't fix it now.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I saw the tweet, nowhere in there does it say anything about troops.

I came to this thread, and I'm seeing people talk about martial law, and troops being sent in, so I was wondering how I missed all of these announcements.

Is there any confirmation of troops, or martial law?
Nope. It's just idle speculation or wishful thinking or something.

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
1--understand that the Justice Dept and the Chicago PD have just gone through an audit of police practices that lasted a year or more.
In that audit the CPD was documented to have an unbridled system of violating rights of minorities, to have created a poorly trained and monitored police force with almost unlimited power to abuse rights and persons of certain groups of Chicago citizens...The CPD was basically called out for being corrupt and dangerous to its own citizens...The 2nd largest police force in the US--corrupt as any in a 3rd world state at times...
So to some extent I can understand why there is such a ripe atmosphere for lawlessness in Chicago--
When cops go off the chain, why should criminals be any better behaved...

2--the CPD and City of Chicago agreed voluntarily (not under court order as some revampings have been) to go through a serious restructuring of training/education systems, review boards, and other measures to improve the standards of police conduct and bring all officers at all levels (not just beat cops) into compliance with knowing and enforcing the laws of the state and the federal gov't...
The idea that this was voluntary compliance is major IMO for a city force of this size...because it implies that the corruption and abuse was so obvious that there was no question the city could fight it in the courts--so there was not even a half-hearted effort to say "Oh, we didn't realize it was so bad" or "Gee we didn't mean to do all that bad stuff"...They just caved from the get go...
Likely because a trial would have brought out so many cases of civil rights violations and criminal charges on officers that Chicago and maybe even police leadership personally could have been swimming in civil law suits.

3--police unions likely resent this because they have been prime protection for cops who abused the responsibilities being a policeman brings and likely are losing ability within the city's government to be power brokers right now...

4--It seems fairly evident that plenty of cops and people who get along with the lawless way they policed (maybe by getting drugs taken by police in drug raids at discount price and reselling on the street--maybe by paying for police to look the other way around criminal activity--maybe by using police to target opposing gangs) are not happy about this new program...

5--if Trump brings in "martial law" via the NG or other federal measures--does anyone think this DoJ program is going to continue???
I don't think so...

If Trump bring in federal forces, they'll just replace the Chicago PD as the biggest gang in the city. It's not the agencies that need to change. It's the very environment of Chicago that makes anyone who touch it corrupt. All you're doing is replacing the tyrants, not addressing the issue. The hard part for most Authoritarians (because I won't insult conservatives by calling them conservative) to come to grips with is the idea that maybe the war on drugs is the real problem here.

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
What does "fixing to" mean?

Old 01-25-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
What does "fixing to" mean?
Southern slang for "going to".

Old 01-25-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Democrats accept the violence and killing, they want NOTHING done at all about it. You can see it here in this thread, they think Chicago is just fine and safe.
Chicago is safe with the exception of 5/25 Police Districts with a black population living in poverty.

The white neighborhoods would not tolerate open air drug markets operated by gangs.

If the shooters were targeting white people outside these districts.....

There would also be far more people willing to come forth with information leading to the arrest of shooters instead of protecting their own.

And you can bet, the folks in downstate Illinois, who determine state minimum sentencing and parole laws, would be forced to act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies