Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:12 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,619,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Extreme vetting is different from ban/restriction/prevention. I don't think any one minds going thru extreme vetting if they have nothing to hide but if vetting is used as an excuse to block Muslim from entering/leaving then that's a problem. As someone mentioned, you are taking right away from one group of citizen to give comfort to another.

1. This is not a permanent ban. This is a temporary suspension until people can be deemed safe. Wouldn't you want your Government to ensure the safety of your family? They are trying to determine how they can do that effectively.

2. We do not have a Constitutional right as a citizen of the United States to give comfort to a non-citizen regardless of family affiliation. So if that means your cousin from Iran can't come here right now because the risk is too high, so be it.

I challenge you to do this. Go watch some videos or read some reports of some of these terrorists and how they have NO regard for ANYONE. Also look at where these activities happened. No warning in a lot of cases. You could be walking through a shopping mall and someone set off a bomb. At that point it's too late to wish that terrorist had been kept out of the country.

Sorry but this is a precaution that needs to be taken. It's taken in other countries, so there is no reason it shouldn't be taken here. Most countries don't have open borders like we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 12:20 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,959,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
1. This is not a permanent ban. This is a temporary suspension until people can be deemed safe. Wouldn't you want your Government to ensure the safety of your family? They are trying to determine how they can do that effectively.

2. We do not have a Constitutional right as a citizen of the United States to give comfort to a non-citizen regardless of family affiliation. So if that means your cousin from Iran can't come here right now because the risk is too high, so be it.

I challenge you to do this. Go watch some videos or read some reports of some of these terrorists and how they have NO regard for ANYONE. Also look at where these activities happened. No warning in a lot of cases. You could be walking through a shopping mall and someone set off a bomb. At that point it's too late to wish that terrorist had been kept out of the country.

Sorry but this is a precaution that needs to be taken. It's taken in other countries, so there is no reason it shouldn't be taken here. Most countries don't have open borders like we do.

I agree. I was in Berlin last year and ran into "un-vetted" muslim refugees. Lets just say, they weren't nice.... I am no rush to import muslim refugees. Theres plenty here already that are being watched by the government.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:24 PM

7,163 posts, read 4,730,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
President Donald Trump was set to sign an executive order temporarily banning entry to the U.S. for people traveling from a number of predominately Muslim countries, according to a new report. The executive order was expected to be signed Wednesday and would be the latest campaign promise the newly sworn in president made good on during what has already been a busy first full week in office.

The ban was expected to affect several countries in the Middle East as well as in Africa, according to a report by Reuters published Tuesday evening. Those countries follow below:

Iran
Iraq
Libya
Somalia
Sudan
Syria
Yemen

Specifically, the U.S. will automatically block any visa held by a person traveling from any of the above listed countries. Also included in the temporary immigration ban are refugees.

While the ban was expected to be temporary, it was not immediately clear when the ban would be lifted after it is enacted. However, Reuters reported the ban would likely stay in place until the U.S. immigration vetting process was overhauled to be more thorough.

Trump has done more in 5 days than Obama did in eight years....

Donald Trump Muslim Ban: Full List Of Countries Affected By President's Executive Immigration Order

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/269839...lim-countries/

I'm not impressed. He gives a pass to Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, the two biggest exporters of terrorists.

Trump doesn't have the gonads to go after those two. Typical bully-going after the low hanging fruit.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:39 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,012,548 times
Quote:
I don't know the whole bio on the guy, i just did a quick google search. This man isn't even alive anymore. He died 10 years ago. From your article....... Whats your point?

He released a statement on the controversy, saying: "Despite the impression some may have from news reports today, I hold no one other than the terrorists and the people and nations who have enabled and harboured them responsible for Tuesday's attacks on this nation.

"I sincerely regret that comments I made during a long theological discussion on a Christian television programme yesterday were taken out of their context and reported and that my thoughts - reduced to soundbites - have detracted from the spirit of this day of mourning."
My point is that we can around saying an entire religion is hateful or scary based on quotes taken out of context or by focusing on individual preachers or people whom claim to stand for that religion. It's all too easy.

Going back to your OP, I as a Muslim don't really mind the rules. Keep in mind however that not all the people from these countries are avid terrorists waiting to strike, I have personal family on the front lines against ISIS in one of the countries mentioned.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:43 PM

1,261 posts, read 945,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Extreme vetting is different from ban/restriction/prevention. I don't think any one minds going thru extreme vetting if they have nothing to hide but if vetting is used as an excuse to block Muslim from entering/leaving then that's a problem. As someone mentioned, you are taking right away from one group of citizen to give comfort to another.
Exactly this. The order does not say that a citizen's relatives from Syria would have to go through "extreme vetting" to come here. It says that they are outright banned from being brought over, even if they would otherwise qualify under existing immigration laws.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:58 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,891,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Fortunately there will be lawsuits from civil rights groups opposing this measure. We are supposed to have freedom of religion in this country. Do you not remember how our country came into being? We emigrated here from Britain because we wanted religious freedom. Oh, but that's OK because we're Christian and any other religion is violent and wrong. (Have you even read the Bible lately?) Immigration from people of any other religion should be abolished because there is a microscopic chance they could be violent, so we should close the doors on all of them. (As if Christians aren't violent). I challenge you to prove to me that every Muslim person is violent. Or is every American going to punish every Muslim person until the end of time for the crimes of a few?
Quote:
Islam Preaches Love for Other Muslims. In reality, it preaches hate against anything else.
Interesting. Because it's just like what Trump is doing, and what we've been doing to all Muslims since 09.11.2001. Muslims are not criminals just because they practice another religion than we do. Some are, but the vast majority aren't. But Trump and many of us are treating all Muslims like they are all a threat and are all criminals. Love all Christians and hate all Muslims, right?

So for all you so-called Christians out there, let's go to the source. What does God say we should do? Let's get back to basics, all ye God fearing Christian individuals out there: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34 (NIV). It doesn't say only love other Christians. It doesn't say only love people who live in America. It doesn't say only love American born citizens. It doesn't say only love people who are just like you, because that's easy. It says "Love one another." So do you, or don't you? Are you Christian, or are you just pretending?

Old 01-25-2017, 01:16 PM

516 posts, read 427,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
A prime example of not only Common Sense but it's the Governments job
to protect it's citizens
No kidding. I am SICK of the world seeing the USA as a flop house.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:20 PM

88,225 posts, read 84,144,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Interesting. Because it's just like what Trump is doing, and what we've been doing to all Muslims since 09.11.2001. Muslims are not criminals just because they practice another religion than we do. Some are, but the vast majority aren't. But Trump and many of us are treating all Muslims like they are all a threat and are all criminals. Love all Christians and hate all Muslims, right?

So for all you so-called Christians out there, let's go to the source. What does God say we should do? Let's get back to basics, all ye God fearing Christian individuals out there: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34 (NIV). It doesn't say only love other Christians. It doesn't say only love people who live in America. It doesn't say only love American born citizens. It doesn't say only love people who are just like you, because that's easy. It says "Love one another." So do you, or don't you? Are you Christian, or are you just pretending?
Sing it, Scooby, Preach!

Old 01-25-2017, 04:24 PM

1,804 posts, read 2,359,462 times
Worth noting that no national of the countries on Trump's ban list has perpetrated an act of Islamic terror on U.S soil. Which makes a mockery of the 'national security' claim. The list is simply those Muslim majority countries in which the US has no interests.

The 9/11 attackers hailed mostly from Saudi and the UAE. But those countries for some reason pose no security threat whatsoever to the U.S. Getting a visa to the US with a Sudanese passport is already incredibly hard, there's hardly a deluge of Sudanese applicants.

And Trump's administration knows this. They've simply scapegoated the weakest least influential Muslim countries for a quick win.

With the terror link disproved, Trump's ban is just what he said it would be - a ban on Muslims for no other reason than their faith.

And hypocrite Christians rejoice.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:36 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,227,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
I'm not impressed. He gives a pass to Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, the two biggest exporters of terrorists.

Trump doesn't have the gonads to go after those two. Typical bully-going after the low hanging fruit.
Afghanistan gets a pass too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies