Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 05:46 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,505,114 times

Advertisements

Alright, so we've come to the point where you can't rely on once news source to deliver news that doesn't take sides. One person pointed out that C-SPAN is a direct-from-the-horses-mouth option, which is fine, but you have to consume large amounts of content, nothing bite-sized here.

Drudge Report - Yes, it's obviously right-leaning, however, they are a news aggregator site, meaning they do not produce their own content, and you will even finds stories on their site from left-leaning outlets such as CNN, NY Times, etc.

Real Clear Politics - Essentially does the same thing with its headlines, but more "balanced," so you'll see some Pro and Anti Trump stories. I'm not sure what their political stance is.

All Sides - This website deliberately sorts out news articles as they pertain to left/right biases. However, they label CNN as "Center" so not sure how reliable they are.

What are your sources?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 05:54 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times
I use Redstate. It's a Conservative-dominated site that viewed Trump with a healthy dose of skepticism. As a Republican, that's about the best place I can find.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
What did people do back when their only source of news was The CBS Evening News at 6:30 ET for 30 minutes of Walter Cronkite? It was a loss leader to prime time programming.

Cable News was a game changer and proved slanted opinionated news was very profitable.

People believe anything they read or hear when it seem to validate their perceptions.

I can trend news junkie at times and sometimes focus on the tactics used to slant more so than the actual news. I have no preferred source.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Infowars and Breitbart, definitely.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:18 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Wingnut News, RightWingNutjob Online, and FOX News are where I turn.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:22 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
I got a dose of abc, cbs and pbs tonight. May have nudged me a little further right.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:27 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
I usually turn to online print news. I don't trust any news source that's tied to television. Reuters, Ottawa Citizen, The Independent are a few that I like. Most news outlets in Canada are garbage and the journalism is pathetic, just like the USA.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:32 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Going forward, probably any news source that Trump doesn't like.

Quote:
The White House seemed to be using the same tactics the Chinese government routinely uses against the foreign press corps: Make false claims to support an alternative narrative. When challenged, threaten reporters — and then try to delegitimize them.
Quote:
Like the new White House, the Chinese government has tried over the years to convince citizens not to believe their own eyes. For instance, when smog enveloped Chinese cities, the government would insist it was really just fog. This tactic grew increasingly absurd as air reached staggeringly toxic levels and people faced post-apocalyptic scenes that no propaganda campaign could overcome.
For Journalists Who've Worked In China, New White House Tactics Seem Familiar : Parallels : NPR

Old 01-25-2017, 06:36 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Going forward, probably any news source that Trump doesn't like.

For Journalists Who've Worked In China, New White House Tactics Seem Familiar : Parallels : NPR
By the end of next week, that could be every news source!

Old 01-25-2017, 06:45 PM

799 posts, read 708,511 times
I prefer to see the source directly for anything important. Because the internet makes that so easy, the msm has become essentially irrelevant, their only product being their opinion, and they have just become propagandists.

And back when there were only the big 3, there was still the liberal bias. Cronkite was the worst, telling a president how he should conduct a war, what a bloviating sap move that was. The truth is out there, it just takes a little more effort than most people want to put into it these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies