Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 03:17 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The Women's March Does NOT Represent ALL Women

No and it does not represent the majority of women. My wife is a professional and she says this march does not represent her or any of her colleagues. She considers it an embarrassment to most women. She was informed by another friend who happened to be in DC at the time of the march that she was embarrassed by the nastiness and vulgarity that she witnessed by some women.
I started a similar thread like this and agree with the OP. I would love to know of course will never know how many of these women didn't like what they encountered when they got there as far as who was up on a platform speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 03:20 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,628,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Have you ever lived anywhere but the US? Have you ever lived outside of Idaho, for that matter? What travelling have you done?

Believe it or not, there are family-friendly policies that women in other Western countries take for granted that the US doesn't have.
I don't need to live other places in the world to know that people have it good living in the United States. No I haven't always lived in Idaho.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:30 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Helluva purpose! lolol.

Even liberal female TV journalists and pundits couldn't figure out what the thing was about, and they said so, right there on their little news shows.

Here are some questions for you:

1. What rights are being taken away?
2. What safety is being taken away?
3. What health is being taken away?
4. What family is being taken away?

Please answer. A whole bunch of us are dying to know.
You, who claims to have a college education, had no idea that there were any women's marches or movements before 1944. (I guess you think that women got the vote by osmosis or something. ) So it really comes as no surprise to anyone here that you are unable to comprehend what has been explained to you again and again and again.

What good would it do to explain it to you yet again, when it's obvious you are unable to comprehend it?

Old 01-26-2017, 03:43 PM

13,419 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
mmmm. Is that what ir really boils down to? "Get your own damn beer!" "Make your own damn sandwich (dinner, lunch whatever)" ?? Well, I suppose there's some merit in the premise. Neither a woman or a man should be expected, or placed under any obligation, to be some sort of servant in a relationship. If one or the other takes it upon themselves to just be...nice..in such a fashion proper appreciation should be shown, and such things should be reciprocated as well.
Agreed, totally. And I'm sure you can appreciate my response was flippant and given in the spirit of the post I was responding to.

Quote:
That's been a big issue in relationships between men and women for as long as they go back, I would think. Of late, these mundane tasks and...services..that revolve around a gender specific assignment have become a jumping off point for some pretty heated battles. I've never, despite my olf fashioned upbringing, been inclined to follow such a dogma. I've always felt that one or the other in a relationship should want to do things like make a snack, do the dishes, have dinner ready, and such because there's mutual respect and appreciation of each other. That has both served me well and blown up in my face.
Agreed. And, the men I know and especially the one I married is of the same cloth. It can't be denied however that on the whole, women take on a much bigger responsibility when it comes to the mundane, still - even while working as long hours as their SO. I'm encouraged that that's changing and the kids are evolving and less prone to carrying on the tradition.

Quote:
A bitter, resentful, and just downright nasty woman turned that around on me to where I was the one expected to fill specific and non specific roles which she defined under much of the philosophy I see this "new" movement espousing. That kind of thinking is not only counterproductive it's downright dangerous. It all starts with these little things. Tasks and favors, taken on with being appreciative ( or guise thereof) that work into becoming obligations and demands. It just escalates, and one of two things happens. Meek acquiescence or resentful refusal to do so. This movement is seeking (expects actually) the former, but the latter happens as much or more often. Those in the latter category are as much the "enemy" as men who Donald Trump is held up to represent.
Agreed. Although I'd argue that that type of behavior is more a function of personality than philosophy, and that some particularly prickly people are drawn to movements where they can twist the message to suit their antagonist agenda, rather than being that the goal of the movement itself.

Quote:
The way of thinking these marchers and protesters are touting is not about equality, respect,or anything resembling a harmonious relationship between men and women. It's about bringing about a shift to exactly what they claim to be protesting against, only in reverse. There are a few motives for that. Some may have a revenge oriented goal, others are driven by a "female supremacist" mindset, others even view men as being completely unnecessary, but could find a niche for us in various service roles. Roles that do not include sex. Minus certain genetic material, such interaction is not needed for procreation. Yet others have a combination of these and other motives, but there is a common denominator between them all. A desire for dominance. Control. Authority. My ex falls into that category.
Ah, now this I see as extremist and not a viewpoint shared by most of the everyday women who attended the March. I'm not a fan of that credo. It's not how most women who just want to be heard roll, either.

Quote:
There are many men out there, good, decent men, who desired nothing more than a loving, appreciative relationship with a woman of like mind who have been utterly ruined by such women. In one respect or another. Perhaps their anger and resentment built up and turned them mysoginistic. Others wound up decimated in a bitter divorce, that ruined them in more than one way. Regardless of what negative result transpired, therein lies the danger in the premise hiding in this movement. I have been fortunate in that I have found a woman who shares my desire for harmony, appreciation and respect now. She would be labeled a traitor by the women participating in these marches. She does not wait on me hand and foot nor do I expect or demand anything of her. The same can be said of her regarding me. But, never before have I been treated so angelically. We do for each other in so many ways, from making a sandwich and bringing it, to unconditional support in much more important matters. Because our treatment of each other makes us WANT to. Not because there is any duty or obligation, particularly one defined by gender.
Agreed, apart from the "the women participating in these marches" bit. I and the large majority of my friends feel and hopefully have attained the same as you and your lovely. Again, I don't believe the extremists are representative of the marchers as a whole. Not by a long shot actually, a few squeaky wheels notwithstanding.

Quote:
I would donate my own beating heart for her. As would she for me. Yet this "new women's movement" would label her a traitor. They'd fawn all over my ex. Don't mistake me. I am by no means a man who would advocate for anything less than equality for women. I also believe, firmly, that there are issues and concerns specific to women (as for men) that need to be addressed. That's not just a personal belief, that is a graven fact. These issue are not being addressed by the marches and protests. They go far beyond Donald Trump being our president. being as these issues have a huge impact on my lady and I and on our lives as a whole, along with many, many other people as well, working with other people and with each other, on these things takes up a lot of time and energy for us. Watching these marches and protests and the quality of how they present themselves as representative of people like us has left us a bit cold on them.
You see, I fully believe the large majority of marchers fall in the latter category. It wasn't about Trump, per se, or even women's issues - there are a lot of quite terrifying things going on in the world and we are all worried. Some of us think Trump is going to make it worse. I belive the March was in response what a lot of people see as an authoritarian wild card who is unpredictable and unfiltered in charge of the world in which their loved ones and kids live too. I think fear of the unknown and little trust in his agenda was the impetus.

Quote:
Again, an utter waste in so many respects. So, taking what I said above in the context of your reply to the other poster I quoted, I think perhaps you may have misconstrued what she meant. It can be easy to do in a hot bed issue like this to bunch up at how things are worded. I believe she is correct in the premise about these marcher types would have difficulty in relationships. Having experienced, at length, a relationship with a woman who is quite representative of that crowd, I can attest to those difficulties. DBs intent in what she said is correct. It just needs to be taken in a different context than what you took away from it. At least that is how I see it. Something to ponder.
Well, I think she's seriously misguided and I can't share your thoughts on this one.

But as to the rest, I think we are probably all a lot closer than we know, if one takes the time to have a civil dialog.

Thank you.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:07 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
There are many reasons and i explained it before many times. But even if they werent: why do you only care about american women? What about the rest of the world? Do you know that in my country a woman dies every 30 hours in hands of either boyfriend/husband/male family member? You know femicides are a terrible trend down here? Do you know that abortion is illegal in my country and over 200.000 poor women DIE EVERY YEAR for having illegal abortions in terrible conditions? Do you know about dissapeared girls and human traffick in latin america? Do you know or even care about something besides that little bubble you live in?

No? Not shocked

I can't speak for dashrenadar, but speaking for myself, what's inside the "bubble" I'm in is quite sufficient to tie up the caring and resources I have at my disposal. While what is going on in your parts and many other places around the world is certainly enough to make my skin crawl, I can't take any sort of action that would be meaningful in stopping or even slightly alleviating those things.

I have a personal concern, right here in front of me, every day, that requires my undivided attention. It's not a lack of caring about what happens outside my "bubble" so much as that I can make a difference in here whilst out there I'm just a cry in the wilderness. I wish I had the resources to raise an army with enough force projection to make more of a difference just in my corner of it all. I see, first hand, every single day (and night) the results of violence and abuse against women. What I , and many others just in this one town in this one state in this country is more than sufficient to tax my resources and my emotions past redline.

Just because many of us are inside a bubble does not mean we don't care. We just can't do anything beyond where we are. In my case, the single concern I have at hand is the most important, but in my relationship with her, we both end up reaching others as well. Perhaps not in Latin America, but it's as far as things reach. So of course , speaking for myself, American women, ( one American woman in particular) are my primary concern. I would assume that your concerns and what actions you take are within a certain area considerably smaller than the entire world? Or even your entire country, for that matter. Via certain things, such as this forum, we can reach out across the world with our words. They make little difference, but as humans, the ability to at least express a desire to make a difference makes us feel a little better.

It seems, perhaps, that you harbor a bit of animosity toward we Americans in regards to such issues as we are discussing here?. A feeling that things are far worse where you are, and that we have it easy here? In some aspects, that may be so. Most of us here aren't worried that gangs of armed thugs will roll through and take our wives, daughters, sweethearts from us to be sold into the sex slave trade. If any were to try we do have and will use the means to defend them. We do enjoy a better degree of security here than many other places. That is a matter more for governments when the issue of protection of the people on a nationwide or international basis is an issue.

But we are hardly immune from the impact of violent criminals nor can we just take the safety and security of our loved ones for granted. Horrible, sickening things can, and (as I will attest) do. Our grief and pain is no less than anyone anywhere else in the world when it does. The individual American citizen has no more power over when, where and to who horrible things happen ,perpetrated by horrible people. Don't judge us too harshly by the fact we may have it better than Latin America and other places in regards to dangers to those we love from acts of barbarism. Most of us can't afford to take our security from such things for granted, nor do we. When someone we love has been brutalized and violated we bleed no less than anyone else anywhere else.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:42 PM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
You still haven't explained how women in America in 2017 are suffering. Or maybe you just have a fantasy of marching in the 50s or so

sexual harassment- inequality in pay- still held back from certain places, jobs or opportunities. this march was to also included the world's women-- should they NOT march either? -

question- why not- live and let live- what have the protestors done to you?? even in a symbolic way- one posted didn't like the foul language, many will agree with her-- and yet voted for trumps foul mouth?
Many didn't like the part of the hat and the kitty talk-- but that came from trump's mouth
you are disgusted with the women who what? act like the man? Is that what it is? this march was about everything and anything that concerned the female species-- why? we see the attack coming --from the rhetoric already expressed- POINT is, we are a BIG group to be reckoned with and -- all women, especially if on the computer today- should remember some woman back then-- screamed for the same thing. shame on you-- NOT for your beliefs or way of life- or even opinions- but for putting down other women for speaking up.
Are you not glad you could vote? was that all there is?? Even the late Tyler Moore had a segment about equal pay~ on her show- you reaped the benefits-- and now want to beat-up the women's movement--

Old 01-26-2017, 05:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
You still haven't explained how women in America in 2017 are suffering. Or maybe you just have a fantasy of marching in the 50s or so
Please show me in the constitution where I am only entitled to utilize my free speech rights if I am suffering. Go ahead I will wait...

Meanwhile, the current POTUS and the GOP are making threats to the rights of women, and those we stand in support of. I don't have to be personally injured in order to make sure my government knows we are paying attention and to remind them that midterm elections are right around the corner.

Now if you want to ask me why I marched, than be a man, and ASK. Otherwise stop wasting time.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:53 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
and how do you know that those same five million have, most were out for a day out to join in with filthy spoken celebs, some I agree probably meant well and were protesting about what they would like changed.. others though I dont think so..... Me? I sign petitions.. mostly child abuse, girls female mutilation.. child brides, lots of things I dont agree with .
Srsly? You have been bitching non-stop about the women who participated in this march; as if you do so much more ~ and then you tell us you sign petitions.

Got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
The Women's March Does NOT Represent ALL Women

No and it does not represent the majority of women. My wife is a professional and she says this march does not represent her or any of her colleagues. She considers it an embarrassment to most women. She was informed by another friend who happened to be in DC at the time of the march that she was embarrassed by the nastiness and vulgarity that she witnessed by some women.
They never claimed to represent ALL women. Sure represents one heck of a lot of them though. I'm a professional AND a mother and I'm sure not embarrassed to be represented by women who are willing to get off their A$$ and do something instead of just complaining and changing the remote.

Even the police said the crowd was unfailingly polite so not sure who your wife's friends was spending time with.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:14 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Srsly? You have been bitching non-stop about the women who participated in this march; as if you do so much more ~ and then you tell us you sign petitions.

Got it.

They never claimed to represent ALL women. Sure represents one heck of a lot of them though. I'm a professional AND a mother and I'm sure not embarrassed to be represented by women who are willing to get off their A$$ and do something instead of just complaining and changing the remote.

Even the police said the crowd was unfailingly polite so not sure who your wife's friends was spending time with.
LMAO. What did they do? They didn't lobby for any kind of law to be passed ort anything. They just got up and whined and cried. Ashley Judd's rant summed it up

Old 01-26-2017, 07:15 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wow, I hope this is sarcasm, because black women don't care about public education, affordable health care, and workplace equality? Really?
I figured you wouldn't get it...

Black women do think about quality of education and affordable health care, but we're not the ones out there screaming "We're oppressed" like Becky and Heather in their pink knitted cat hats. We're too busy paying rent, bills, and groceries for next month's meals for our families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies