Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 04:37 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Very true. How we are raised, our upbringing makes all the difference, along with a few other important attributes like health, but you can't legislate better families, better fathers and mothers...

How do you address the number of kids being raised in environments that set them up to fail? Parents not worth a damn if there are any parents at all, drug problems, crime, no positive influences, too much idle time on the streets, exposure to gangs. My white kids had NONE of these issues as they attended a high school in a safe affluent area ranked a 10 in terms of quality education and percentage of graduates who went on to college (98%).

Damn if I know for sure how to fix these sorts of disparities, but sure seems to me that access to affordable quality education is as good a start as any, also childcare, health care, safer neighborhoods...
If you really believe that, then one has to wonder why you support a Democratic Party that is so dead-set on protecting mediocre public schools that consistently underperform, and denying parents the option of school-choice through vouchers and other options?

I would also ask this question of residinghere2007 who insists that good education is of paramount concern to black families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 06:02 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I agree with you.....
I just think that in order to have a better discourse about this topic, talking down to anyone won't work. I do agree that certain comments have not helped. I just have a few question for those persons who make such comments. What is the point of making comments like "free stuff", "plantation", and "they're not used to working"? What do said persons hope to get out of it?

Old 02-01-2017, 06:11 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
I share your difficulty in understanding this. Take as a prime example, Ben Carson. Regardless of what you think of his personal politics, this man serves as an outstanding role model. He grew up with modest means in Detroit in a broken home and attended public schools. He had the same story that so many black kids today have, yet he went on to graduate from both Michigan and Yale University, and his accomplishments include:

* Becoming the youngest chief of pediatric neurosurgery in the country at age 33
* Was the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins where he become a pioneer in the field
* performed the only successful separation of conjoined twins joined at the back of the head
* pioneered the first successful neurosurgical procedure on a fetus inside the womb
* performed the first completely successful separation of type-2 vertical craniopagus twins
* developed new methods to treat brain-stem tumors
* written over 100 neurosurgical publications

By any rational person's measure, this man is a pure genius, and the epitome of an American success story. Someone who didn't know any better may assume that this man would be regarded as a hero in the black community, and if he were a Liberal, I have no doubt that he would be hailed as a rock star! But because he doesn't think the "right" way according to black and white liberals, he is reduced to an "Uncle Tom" or a "token" or, as one talking head put it on CNN, a "mediocre negro".

I watched the midseason premier of "Black-ish" on ABC a few weeks back where they did an election episode. I assume this sitcom is directed toward a black demographic and is meant to depict a black perspective on issues. When the main character, played by Anthony Anderson, addressed the possibility of voting for Ben Carson, his response was "Oh no. is he even black?"......
Tokens are not so because of their own view, but because of how others view them.

A token is someone you hold up as an example when they agree with you, but act like they have never existed when they disagree. Tim Scott is a great example of this when it comes to police. Ben Carson is on a lot of issues, but having run for President, he is now more or less, just a prominent conservative.

As for the part about him being a hero to the black community, that isnt the problem it is that you do the very same thing you accuse the left of doing in the bold. You guys have a perception of black people and only the "right" ones are held up with high esteem.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
If you really believe that, then one has to wonder why you support a Democratic Party that is so dead-set on protecting mediocre public schools that consistently underperform, and denying parents the option of school-choice through vouchers and other options?

I would also ask this question of residinghere2007 who insists that good education is of paramount concern to black families?
The vouchers you support are per capita , that means the person using it gets an average and that money is taken from the school system or specific school they are leaving.

The reason that doesnt work is because each student isnt equal.

If you are a poor but active student. You are a much larger portion of the pie than a kid who is well off and isnt.

For example

Student A

Rides Bus to school
Eats school lunch
Uses the School library/ computers
Takes AP and College prep classes
Plays football and soccer
Is a member of multiple after school programs

Student B

has his own car and drives to school
Eats lunch off campus
Has home computer
Takes normal classes
Plays no sports
is part of no clubs

Student A and B are equal when it comes to vouchers even though student A costs way more to educate; but only Student B has the means to take advantage of the voucher and he will take an average of the district, not how much he is worth.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:28 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
I would read this: Republican Party & Black Voters -- How GOP Can Win Over African Americans | National Review

Old 02-02-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The vouchers you support are per capita , that means the person using it gets an average and that money is taken from the school system or specific school they are leaving.

The reason that doesnt work is because each student isnt equal.

If you are a poor but active student. You are a much larger portion of the pie than a kid who is well off and isnt.

For example

Student A

Rides Bus to school
Eats school lunch
Uses the School library/ computers
Takes AP and College prep classes
Plays football and soccer
Is a member of multiple after school programs

Student B

has his own car and drives to school
Eats lunch off campus
Has home computer
Takes normal classes
Plays no sports
is part of no clubs

Student A and B are equal when it comes to vouchers even though student A costs way more to educate; but only Student B has the means to take advantage of the voucher and he will take an average of the district, not how much he is worth.
Why would only student B be able to take advantage of the voucher?

Old 02-02-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Tokens are not so because of their own view, but because of how others view them.

A token is someone you hold up as an example when they agree with you, but act like they have never existed when they disagree. Tim Scott is a great example of this when it comes to police. Ben Carson is on a lot of issues, but having run for President, he is now more or less, just a prominent conservative.

As for the part about him being a hero to the black community, that isnt the problem it is that you do the very same thing you accuse the left of doing in the bold. You guys have a perception of black people and only the "right" ones are held up with high esteem.
That isn't true. Take for example President Obama. I don't agree with virtually any of his policies, but the man is definitely accomplished, respectable, dignified, and should absolutely be held in high regard and serve as an example for black kids, and all kids, really.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:11 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
I share your difficulty in understanding this. Take as a prime example, Ben Carson. Regardless of what you think of his personal politics, this man serves as an outstanding role model. He grew up with modest means in Detroit in a broken home and attended public schools. He had the same story that so many black kids today have, yet he went on to graduate from both Michigan and Yale University, and his accomplishments include:

* Becoming the youngest chief of pediatric neurosurgery in the country at age 33
* Was the Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins where he become a pioneer in the field
* performed the only successful separation of conjoined twins joined at the back of the head
* pioneered the first successful neurosurgical procedure on a fetus inside the womb
* performed the first completely successful separation of type-2 vertical craniopagus twins
* developed new methods to treat brain-stem tumors
* written over 100 neurosurgical publications

By any rational person's measure, this man is a pure genius, and the epitome of an American success story. Someone who didn't know any better may assume that this man would be regarded as a hero in the black community, and if he were a Liberal, I have no doubt that he would be hailed as a rock star! But because he doesn't think the "right" way according to black and white liberals, he is reduced to an "Uncle Tom" or a "token" or, as one talking head put it on CNN, a "mediocre negro".

I watched the midseason premier of "Black-ish" on ABC a few weeks back where they did an election episode. I assume this sitcom is directed toward a black demographic and is meant to depict a black perspective on issues. When the main character, played by Anthony Anderson, addressed the possibility of voting for Ben Carson, his response was "Oh no. is he even black?"......
So black folks are obligated to look up to Dr. Carson....because he's black and successful?

But we're criticized for voting for Obama....who is also black and successful?

SMH

Old 02-02-2017, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I just think that in order to have a better discourse about this topic, talking down to anyone won't work. I do agree that certain comments have not helped. I just have a few question for those persons who make such comments. What is the point of making comments like "free stuff", "plantation", and "they're not used to working"? What do said persons hope to get out of it?
People who make such comments have no depth of thought. They make these comments because they can't comprehend an explanation any more nuanced than that, not just on this issue but on all issues.

But there's also a danger in assuming that any white person who asks these type of questions aren't really seeking an answer.
Quote:
Good article. I agree that Republicans should do more to call out racism, champion civil rights, and reach out to black voters.

I think part of the problem is that when Republicans have tried to do this in the past, they are said to be pandering.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 02-02-2017 at 01:25 AM..

Old 02-02-2017, 01:20 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Republicans can't do anything to win us over at this point. The Republican brand is synonymous with being anti black at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies