Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2017, 05:30 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There's nothing secret about it.

And the Republicans? Hell, that they despise blacks is the most open secret in history.
Both parties have their racist histories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lily-white_movement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Birch_Society#Values
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 05:49 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
Why do some whites here make threads about what Black people do, how we vote, and who we vote for with their fake concern?

Because the rampant criminality like in Chicago costs human lives, and its an economic burden on the rest of the nation.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I can tell this is kind of biased. While the Democratic Party's history during the mid 19th-early 20th century cannot be denied, I notice something is left out. No mention of what time when Blacks started voting for Democrats in large numbers. This started in the 1960s with Lyndon B. Johnson's support of the Civil Rights Act. Barry Goldwater, the Republican running against Johnson, did not support the CRA. Yes, I am aware that LBJ was likely a racist.

And the truth is, both parties have their racist history. Yes, the Republican Party was the party of Lincoln. Lincoln wanted to send Blacks away from the USA. The Lily White Movement was a major racist wing within the Republican Party. The term "lily white movement" was coined at a Republican in 1888. It was an effort by conservatives to oust Blacks from the Republican Party.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Because the rampant criminality like in Chicago costs human lives, and its an economic burden on the rest of the nation.
So what? Being a criminal has nothing to do with being a voter. Blacks have been complained about and looked down on from day one. How has any of this changed anything? Why would it make me want to vote the way YOU want me to vote?

My vote, my business. Anyone who has a problem with that, tough.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Why would only student B be able to take advantage of the voucher?
Vouchers dont pay for transportation. (well, there are a couple that do , but its public trans and I will
address that)

Lets assume its a poor rural kid, they dont have money to pay someone to take them to school ans even if their was public transportation, they wouldnt be able to pay for it.

I will use myself area for example. My high school was actually on the brink of being a failing school. Students in my district would have been allowed to transfer to the next closest high school if it had happened.

The distance one way, from the northern most area that my high school services, to the next closest high school is 54. 7 miles,(using google distance) one way. Thats 108 miles both ways. How is a poor kid with no car or no public transportation going to get to school each day ?

But to many that is beside the point, Many would simple ask why cant you fix the school the children already attend ?

Old 02-04-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
That isn't true. Take for example President Obama. I don't agree with virtually any of his policies, but the man is definitely accomplished, respectable, dignified, and should absolutely be held in high regard and serve as an example for black kids, and all kids, really.
"you" = the right wing, not necessarily you as an individual.

I dont think you can deny tokenism though. Like I said Tim Scott is about the best example of this as of late because he was completely pushed aside in favor of David Clarke on police violence .

Tokenism will always rub people the wrong way.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Vouchers dont pay for transportation. (well, there are a couple that do , but its public trans and I will
address that)

Lets assume its a poor rural kid, they dont have money to pay someone to take them to school ans even if their was public transportation, they wouldnt be able to pay for it.

I will use myself area for example. My high school was actually on the brink of being a failing school. Students in my district would have been allowed to transfer to the next closest high school if it had happened.

The distance one way, from the northern most area that my high school services, to the next closest high school is 54. 7 miles,(using google distance) one way. Thats 108 miles both ways. How is a poor kid with no car or no public transportation going to get to school each day ?

But to many that is beside the point, Many would simple ask why cant you fix the school the children already attend ?
Vouchers do not pay for transportation. I have never thought about that. Many poor persons do not have cars. Public transportation is frequently used by the poor. I live in metro Atlanta. Public transportation leaves alot to be desired. I noticed this. Most of the resistance towards public transportation came from conservatives. I'm talking about where I live.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Vouchers do not pay for transportation. I have never thought about that. Many poor persons do not have cars. Public transportation is frequently used by the poor. I live in metro Atlanta. Public transportation leaves alot to be desired. I noticed this. Most of the resistance towards public transportation came from conservatives. I'm talking about where I live.
Im some states, you can apply for a voucher and include transportation cost. But it has to be "accountable " . I assumed that meant transportation you can track or pay for up front like public transit and paying for a yearly pass. I doubt they would give a parent a check at the end of the year for mileage.

So you can, but it isnt possible in all places.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:23 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I wonder what YOU are saying...

What is the "Conservative view on issues like economics" that you feel should be shared by more blacks?!?

Funny, because "issues like economics" pretty well apply to all of us, determine much of how our economy will fare, and generally speaking, we'd like to think that "all boats rise with a higher tide." Right?

If I get an answer or reply to my request for this "view," no doubt it will be rich, full of conservative presumption and assumption, including "what Liberals think," that makes up so much of that nonsense in this forum I touched upon before.

True, however, rather than avoid that nonsense this morning as I also suggested yesterday, I seem to be inviting it!

There's always the entertainment value, and I can deal with just a little nonsense in the mornings before I move onto my day in the real world...

Do tell!
All I am saying is, I would think the Conservative view would be better represented amongst the black electorate then their voting patterns suggest. This is not an argument for or against Conservatism, but rather just an observation.

Take the white electorate for example. Both sides of the political spectrum are more evenly represented in white voting patterns.

Surely there must be Conservative black people out there, so why, by-and-large, do black people vote rather monolithically for Democrats? I think Green_Mariner's article lends some insight in to this. There may well be Conservative black folks out there who agree more with Conservatives than liberals, but as long as Liberals are the ones taking up the mantle of civil rights, that's how black people are going to vote.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:37 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
address that)

I understand how transportation plays a role in this, but isn't that concern somewhat negated in larger metro areas where it would be easier to get a child to school via public transit / driving / walking?

Vouchers aren't a panacea, but it would help, wouldn't it? And I would think it would have the most profound effect on young black kids, who disproportionately live in urban areas.

Quote:
Precisely because schools can provide sub-par education / services with little consequence. Opposing voucher programs actually has the effect of insulating bad schools.

If they can lose funding by parents taking that funding and going to a private school, that incentivizes them to be better, hire better teachers, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies