Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 10:19 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
We have a seasonal BLM fire station right on the outskirts of the tiny community where I live in BFE Idaho. I understand what these FFs face every summer all over the west. For the last few years the entire west has burned, a good part of the summer. I know the challenges and dangers you face, and I thank you for the job that you do.

Having said that:

1. The EO waivers public safety personnel

2. The article says FS workers are "left wondering" - the EO only came out over the past couple of days and it is safe to assume that FS/BLM will receive clarification in a timely fashion once the request for clarification is received.

3. Who from your agency has reached out for clarification on the EO and/or made the case for hiring (ie. who is the spokesperson from your agency re: this issue)?

4. Please follow-up in this thread when the clarifications and go-ahead to hire have been received. I'm not being smug or dismissive. I live in BFE Idaho. A few years before we moved to our current location there was a fire and evacuation order right behind town. I'm interested in this issue.
Fire fighting is part of "big government" and big government is the problem. Always remember this. The less resources for fire fighting, the more we are succeeding in fighting "big government".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 10:20 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Tell the liberal nuts to stay out of the forest and not start fires. Idiots.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:23 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes. Isnt all the monies or a large portion going into the firefighting branch of the forest service already earmarked for fire fighting so my question is, is it a matter of no additional funding for firefighting or not allowing that earmarked money to be used to hire the additional seasonal firefighters as in the past?
The money earmarked for fire is there still as far as I know. But with the hiring freeze they're not being allowed to hire people (or contract out either).

Old 01-26-2017, 10:34 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Tell the liberal nuts to stay out of the forest and not start fires. Idiots.
And that ignorant liberal lightening too, while you're at it.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:42 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Not worried

https://watchers.news/2017/01/23/sou...nuary-22-2017/

Old 01-26-2017, 10:45 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yes it's raining in January so we won't need fire fighters in August.

We don't need controlled burns, just let nature takes it's course and hope for the best.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:33 AM

36,493 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The money earmarked for fire is there still as far as I know. But with the hiring freeze they're not being allowed to hire people (or contract out either).
But do you know that for sure. It seem there has been a lot of OMG the sky is falling hysteria partially due to generalities and/or conjecture based on limited information or hearsay before any actual documented facts are known. Especially here in CD land.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:40 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
But do you know that for sure. It seem there has been a lot of OMG the sky is falling hysteria partially due to generalities and/or conjecture based on limited information or hearsay before any actual documented facts are known. Especially here in CD land.
That's fair, and I agree.

However, more facts out of the gate would have been helpful. It seems it's on every agency to try to get answers. And things have already been changing, more exemptions were granted after the issues were pointed out.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:41 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
It's not hearsay. The Forest Service has had spokespeople publicly say that as of right now the hiring process is at a standstill until they're given direction to continue it. That direction will depend on Trump providing an exemption from the freeze.

An NPS spokesperson said they are not hiring but holding onto lists of applicants to hopefully continue the process soon.

So basically we don't know what will happen in the future. We do know the hiring process has been stalled for now.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:42 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Fire fighting is part of "big government" and big government is the problem. Always remember this. The less resources for fire fighting, the more we are succeeding in fighting "big government".
Well, you are partly right. The bulk of CA's fire problems are due to government politics forcing policy when they don't know a damn thing about how to manage forests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies