Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Trump's 20% Tariff Force Mexico to Pay for the Wall?
The 20% tariff on imports from Mexico means the US consumer will pay for the wall. It's like a hidden tax. 88 64.71%
The 20% tariff on imports from Mexico means Mexican exporters will be paying for the wall. They will absorb the cost. 18 13.24%
The 20% tariff on imports from Mexico will hurt both nations equally because they will retaliate with a tariff on US exports to Mexico. 18 13.24%
I don't know what effect the tariff will have. 12 8.82%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 10:29 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trump wants 20% tax on imports from Mexico to pay for wall

Trump wants 20% tax on imports from Mexico to pay for wall - CNNPolitics.com

Does putting a 20% tariff on Mexican imports really force Mexico to pay for the wall?
1st, it was said , "5% to 20%" I watched another portion of the questioning , which CNN did NOT PLAY

2nd, NO AGREEMENT has been official proposed yet. They are still discussing it.

3rd, it is CNN who has absolutely NO CREDIBILITY when it come to anything regarding the news.

Thread AND CNN fail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 10:36 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northshorenative View Post
What??? If you are buying things from Ecuador instead, and so is everyone else, how do we collect the money?
Magic.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
There are some incredible leaps of logic being made by the wall supporters.
Leaps of sorts, certainly. Not so sure I'd call it logic.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:50 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
1st, it was said , "5% to 20%" I watched another portion of the questioning , which CNN did NOT PLAY
So does Trump not know how to count?

These numbers are all pretty much well known. Would you look at a house and think "Well, the mortgage is going to cost somewhere between 5 and 20%?".

Of course you wouldn't...unless you either didn't know how to count or were trying to fool someone.

You really have to get over "it's the news". DJT - or more likely Steve Bannon and friends - are in charge and Steve made it clear he desires chaos...the breaking down of our country (as it is now).

They think that when you break humpty dumpty he emerges perfectly and puts himself together again in all the right places.

If you look at the results of even this poll, it's clear that most people here have some intelligence.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:59 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
From what I've been reading around the web people are too busy to scream that we'll be the one paying for the 20% import tax. What I fail to see them mention is we are not forced to buy the imported goods from Mexico. If mexico's product comes in at 20% more expensive and prices it above its competitors price we can purchase the cheaper product not from Mexico.

The US has most of the leverage here. The tariff will greatly impact mexico's economy as we are their largest trade partner. I would advise the president of Mexico to reschedule the meeting with trump, maybe he can negotiate a better deal for his country.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:07 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northshorenative View Post
What??? If you are buying things from Ecuador instead, and so is everyone else, how do we collect the money?
They are going to make up the difference by collecting underwear and earning huge profits.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
If mexico's product comes in at 20% more expensive and prices it above its competitors price we can purchase the cheaper product not from Mexico.
And that raises money for the effin' wall - how?

Old 01-27-2017, 11:12 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,193,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And that raises money for the effin' wall - how?
Because the good gets taxed when it crosses the border, not when it is purchased by the consumer. Mexico will still be flooding our market with product. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Old 01-27-2017, 11:14 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
How can costs possibly be cheaper when you ship around the world? We just have to get OUR house in order. The cheap labor in Mexico killed many jobs in many areas in the USA.

If this trend continues , we will look like Venezuela. No one looks at the long picture.. Our tax base is shrinking and the welfare roles are growing here. 20 trillion in debt. There are towns that are ALL on welfare because that last factory left for Mexico.
Indeed,

Why should Venezuela have a problem? Cant they purchase cheap Mexican goods?

Buying cheap Mexican goods isn't trade. Its the import side of the equation. Venezuela has little to trade so it does not matter how cheap Mexico's goods are.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:32 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Of course farmers are because it's cheaper to do so. I'm speaking specifically about agriculture jobs that people keep whining about that American children won't pick lettuce.
Legal temporary immigrants are more than happy to come here, and work in agriculture. The problem has been illegals do the work for slave labor prices. That's hopefully going to end.
I'm on board with that. I don't think any walls are needed. Just fine or imprison companies and individuals who hire people who are not authorized to work in the US.

Problem solved. Fines would also be a revenue stream.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies