Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 05:49 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Building a wall now, which will take years to complete, is like prescribing surgery after the tumor starts to shrink.

"There were 5.8 million Mexican unauthorized immigrants living in the U.S. that year (2014) down from 6.4 million in 2009"

Also, we already have miles of fencing and metal barriers. Spending billions on a wall instead of beefing up border security makes little sense, since there are other ways to enter the U.S.

" Only 7% of Mexican unauthorized immigrants had been in the U.S. for less than five years in 2014, compared with 22% of those from all other countries."

5 facts about illegal immigration in the U.S. | Pew Research Center
I'm sorry but I don't understand the point you're trying to get across by posting this. What should the reader glean from these stats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 05:59 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Hate to break it to you, but Gump's monument to bigotry won't be close to completed by the time his presidency ends, and that's assuming he gets two terms.

The planning and logistics alone (not to mention securing the land) will take years. Building hundreds of roads into the middle of the desert, along with hundreds of little colonies for the workers/cooks/cleaners/security/etc, will take several years as well.

That $15 billion price tag is the most comical estimate I've read in a long time. Apple is currently finishing construction on a campus in Cupertino, and that thing is costing them $5 billion lol.

Whoever follows Gump will likely cancel the whole thing. The majority of Americans already oppose this stupid idea, and they'll be absolutely furious when they see how much they've spent for a wall that's only 15% completed, if that.
If someone can construct thousands of pages of healthcare then implement it a wall seems possible. Maybe even simple with so many examples over thousands of years.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:17 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
This is a myth. If you really believe that illegal immigrants from Mexico are taking jobs away from American citizens, why not target their employers instead of spending billions on a wall?

It's estimated that over half of the farmhands in the U.S. are illegal immigrants. Do you know anyone who wants that job? I don't. There is already a shortage of farm workers, so if all of these people are deported, it will not only hurt farmers, but there will be a dramatic increase in the price of U.S. produce.
Have you been paying attention to the push to automate?

Farms of the Future Will Run on Robots and Drones

Fields of automation | The Economist

Automation in dairy farming

Automation: Robots from Korea to America Are Replacing Workers | VDARE - premier news outlet for patriotic immigration reform

https://futurism.com/study-says-auto...0-to-20-years/

The list goes on and on. America, the world, is changing at a very fast pace. I am not disagreeing with your push to go after the employers; but the jobs are also disappearing and the illegal immigrants that did one job are now going after the few that remain. I would like to see us mandate E-Verify and require all employers to use the system or pay the penalty.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:44 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
No, you really do need a wall to keep out illegals, guns, drugs and other bad things, like man-portable nuclear weapons.
Liberals politicians and many liberal citizens hate the concept of borders. We were supposed to end up like Europe. Open borders, common currency, citizens of the world. Everyone living in peace and harmony.

It didn't work in Europe and right now European nations are trying to build walls and fences just as quickly as they can get them up. And citizens in Europe are buying tools for self-defense as quickly as they can get their hands on them.

Thank goodness enough Americans didn't buy into it. Thank goodness. Build the damn wall.

You're about to graduate into a complex and borderless world..............SofS John Kerry, Northeast University Commencement Address, May 2016

Old 01-27-2017, 07:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Do you think a wall is going to stop them? The 9/11 terrorists weren't from Mexico, by the way, and a wall wouldn't have stopped the planes from flying into the WTC or the Pentagon. Maybe we should just put a large dome over the entire country so nobody can get in or out.
I wonder if you extend the same logic to, say, guns. Bad guys will get their hands on guns anyway. Why do we need another gun control law? But I am sure that's not how you think. You are probably for every gun control law that came down the pike.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:24 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I'm a Trump supporter, but this wall is a bad idea. We are better off with fencing and high tech border controls.
Can some one tell me how many immigrants per day are entering into US on average? If it is not that significant, wall might not be useful.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:37 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
Can some one tell me how many immigrants per day are entering into US on average? If it is not that significant, wall might not be useful.

They aren't immigrants they are illegal aliens. Last I read there are a half million entering our country per year. Some years it has been much higher. Along with them criminals and would be terrorists are sneaking in also. The wall will be useful in deterring all of them.

Last edited by Oldglory; 01-27-2017 at 08:03 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 07:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Have you been paying attention to the push to automate?
Yes, of course. I'm over 65 and am well aware of the number of jobs replaced by automation. It's nothing new. Remember typing pools and switchboard operators? Remember when an elevator operator took you to your desired floor in a department store? When I was a kid, a milkman would deliver the milk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

I am not disagreeing with your push to go after the employers; but the jobs are also disappearing and the illegal immigrants that did one job are now going after the few that remain. I would like to see us mandate E-Verify and require all employers to use the system or pay the penalty.
I have no problem with that at all. I was only saying that such a mandate should be enforced and employers who violate the law should be penalized. I've never supported hiring undocumented workers, no matter what country they're from. If we enforce the laws, then there will be no jobs available for those who are here illegally.

This discussion is about building a wall that will cost more than $15 billion and I was only saying the money can be spent in much more cost effective ways to deal with this issue. I've seen posts calling Mexicans "savages" and other hateful remarks. That's the reason for many of my replies, but I've never said that it's okay for anyone to break the law.

Last edited by justNancy; 01-27-2017 at 07:51 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 07:41 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
They put walls around prisons and insane asylums so it seems fitting we have one around us at this point.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:44 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
You can't go by what is happening TODAY. It may be zero, but what about next year? If Europeans asked how many Syrians are crossing their borders two years ago the answer was not many. They sat back and did nothing so when the wave came they were not prepared. The other ting is you can't pull the plug on a wall no matter who is in the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies