Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 08:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

Fair elections also means no gerrymandering, no voter suppression laws---
Are Republicans willing to see those strategies preventing LEGAL voters from voting stopped as well??
I don't think so...
Based on Trump and Bannon's current agenda and the GOP's past agenda, I view this "investigation" as more an opportunity to gaslight info and shape facts to suit their desired outcome--which means more voter suppression--not stopping ILLEGAL voters from taking advantage of the system (which prior investigations have failed to prove is the case) and instead institute even more barriers that will mean protecting GOP candidates from facing a fair election playing field...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 08:29 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Illegals were encouraged to vote by Obama. And Dems are historically notorious for voter fraud.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:33 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times
He is supporting these unproven claims because he is a small petty insecure man. He cannot accept the fact that millions more voted for someone else.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:04 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Illegals were encouraged to vote by Obama. And Dems are historically notorious for voter fraud.

Show links for these two outrageous statements, please!

Old 01-29-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Show links for these two outrageous statements, please!

Any links provided to document that will be the kind that also complain about HRC's unsecured server when Trump is doing the same thing...

Saw headline about the Trump supporter who actually DID vote twice for Trump--and was caught--and is being tried--
And her attorney is trying to claim mental deficiency on her part--
Which I totally agree with since anyone who voted for Trump must have at least one screw loose...

Old 01-29-2017, 12:56 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
People probably forgot Alberto Gonzalez and George Bush's request for an investigation because he and Karl Rove thought there was fraud in the 2002 election.

David Iglesias was a conservative Republican US attorney in New Mexico, when he refused to bring a corruption case against democrats he was fired by Gonzalez. He also fired several US attorneys in Missouri, Washington and other states for not prosecuting what he believed was voter fraud. Iglesias wrote a book about the entire affair. Gonzalez was eventually fired and most of his top aids quite back in 2007, if you read through the details he answered "I don't recall" 64 times at a congressional hearing.

So here we have Jeff Sessions placed in charge of another voter fraud investigation that lacks any substance, hopefully not a repeat of 2002.

Quote:
For days President Trump has promoted the absurd notion that three million to five million people voted illegally in the presidential election.
On Wednesday morning, Mr. Trump went further.

"I will be asking for a major investigation into VOTER FRAUD, including those registered to vote in two states, those who are illegal and.."

Little more than a decade ago, the Justice Department made investigating and prosecuting voter fraud a major priority. When top prosecutors failed to find the misconduct and refused to make partisan prosecutions, they were fired. In the fallout, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales was forced to resign in the biggest Justice Department scandal since Watergate.
It seems like an odd bit of history to try to repeat — unless the goal is to clear the path for voter suppression.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/o...last-time.html

Old 01-29-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
People probably forgot Alberto Gonzalez and George Bush's request for an investigation because he and Karl Rove thought there was fraud in the 2002 election.

David Iglesias was a conservative Republican US attorney in New Mexico, when he refused to bring a corruption case against democrats he was fired by Gonzalez. He also fired several US attorneys in Missouri, Washington and other states for not prosecuting what he believed was voter fraud. Iglesias wrote a book about the entire affair. Gonzalez was eventually fired and most of his top aids quite back in 2007, if you read through the details he answered "I don't recall" 64 times at a congressional hearing.

So here we have Jeff Sessions placed in charge of another voter fraud investigation that lacks any substance, hopefully not a repeat of 2002.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/o...last-time.html
Thanks for reminding me of that debacle---
There was fraud in that election--just not the Dems were doing it...

I was incensed at the time at Gonzales's rape of the Constitution and I remember how Congress sat around with their thumbs up their behinds--
Which is basically what the GOP leaders are doing about the Muslim ban (fiasco)
Some Democrats are being more outspoken but I think there are Dems who have some part of their constituency who support Trump and don't want to get too far in "left field"...
A bad sign really since Trump won't work with them on that Infrastructure bill--and they are really not being as organized and focused on many CAbinet appointments...they need to resist all the rest...and ever Dem needs to vote NO...

Old 01-29-2017, 08:32 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Thanks for reminding me of that debacle---
There was fraud in that election--just not the Dems were doing it...

I was incensed at the time at Gonzales's rape of the Constitution and I remember how Congress sat around with their thumbs up their behinds--
Which is basically what the GOP leaders are doing about the Muslim ban (fiasco)
Some Democrats are being more outspoken but I think there are Dems who have some part of their constituency who support Trump and don't want to get too far in "left field"...
A bad sign really since Trump won't work with them on that Infrastructure bill--and they are really not being as organized and focused on many CAbinet appointments...they need to resist all the rest...and ever Dem needs to vote NO...
Really not much different than this witch hunt, no proof but here we go.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:35 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Illegals were encouraged to vote by Obama.
This is a lie.

Quote:
And Dems are historically notorious for voter fraud.
Source?

Gerrymandering is voter fraud.
Congressmen voting for each other on measures during legislative sessions is voter fraud.

Five million illegal votes? LIE!

Trump is backing off because he knows it's a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies