Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 06:17 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times

Advertisements

This (Illegal) American Life - Top Documentary Films
This^is a good look at illegal life. I recommend it.

Let's take Oxnard California. Smucker's, Tree Top, Driscoll's, all the big companies have packing plants there. 80% of Americas strawberry's come from there, and 70% of the pickers are illegal. They stay in homes with up to 30 people in there. Get paid by boxes picked and get worked to death. This is how these companies make their money. They vote and lobby accordingly.

In the south, it's Tomato's. https://www.splcenter.org/news/2008/...chronic-abuses

Farm Worker Conditions Likened to Modern Slavery (VIDEO) | The Huffington Post
Of course this was 2013, before Trump so the left was against this abuse.

"The farm lobby is reportedly hoping that the immigration reform overhaul proposed this week will make it easier for American farmers to hire the workers they need. But some immigrant rights groups are concerned it could just make conditions worse."

Home-building boom relies on illegal workers | The Seattle Times
Construction.
Abuse
US has created a second-class workforce with no legal recourse against exploitation and wage theft
https://gspp.berkeley.edu/news/news-...sive-employers
Seattle contractor who threatened workers with deportation to steal wages sentenced - seattlepi.com

I would go on but you get the picture. These companies want to keep this slave labor. Therefore, Sanctuary Cities are just helping these companies make money off of slaves.
This is why they have so many, and keep them.

It's the same thing they do in China. Look the other way so we can have cheap goods.

One day we will have to just admit that, and decide if we want to keep abusing people for cheap stuff or pay more for American made goods, by American workers who are under protection by our laws, and cannot be abused.

I think it's worth the increase myself, I always have. I'm willing to pay more for happy American workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 06:25 PM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The concept is simple, you want people to report crimes and to be witnesses. Well if those witnesses are afraid to report a crime because they are afraid to be deported you need to tell them you will not have them deported. The criminals need to go to jail and then be deported. We need to keep honest working people.

Its pretty simple and works.
That is the view if most police chiefs in these cities, this policy makes a lot of sense. Why would you want to alienate the people who are reporting the crimes and are connected to the police. These cities are not protecting violent offenders, but they are not going to hold them for several weeks on a marijuana charge until the ICE picks them up.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:37 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
This (Illegal) American Life - Top Documentary Films
This^is a good look at illegal life. I recommend it.

Let's take Oxnard California. Smucker's, Tree Top, Driscoll's, all the big companies have packing plants there. 80% of Americas strawberry's come from there, and 70% of the pickers are illegal. They stay in homes with up to 30 people in there. Get paid by boxes picked and get worked to death. This is how these companies make their money. They vote and lobby accordingly.

In the south, it's Tomato's. https://www.splcenter.org/news/2008/...chronic-abuses

Farm Worker Conditions Likened to Modern Slavery (VIDEO) | The Huffington Post
Of course this was 2013, before Trump so the left was against this abuse.

"The farm lobby is reportedly hoping that the immigration reform overhaul proposed this week will make it easier for American farmers to hire the workers they need. But some immigrant rights groups are concerned it could just make conditions worse."

Home-building boom relies on illegal workers | The Seattle Times
Construction.
Abuse
US has created a second-class workforce with no legal recourse against exploitation and wage theft
https://gspp.berkeley.edu/news/news-...sive-employers
Seattle contractor who threatened workers with deportation to steal wages sentenced - seattlepi.com

I would go on but you get the picture. These companies want to keep this slave labor. Therefore, Sanctuary Cities are just helping these companies make money off of slaves.
This is why they have so many, and keep them.

It's the same thing they do in China. Look the other way so we can have cheap goods.

One day we will have to just admit that, and decide if we want to keep abusing people for cheap stuff or pay more for American made goods, by American workers who are under protection by our laws, and cannot be abused.

I think it's worth the increase myself, I always have. I'm willing to pay more for happy American workers.
You're right about the abuses, and about pointing out that america's pride in buying cheap is a big factor in this problem.

But the sanctuary city movement has its roots in religious and anti-poverty organizations who were concerned about the welfare of these largely defenseless workers.

It just points up the simple fact that this is not a black/white issue, there are competing interests here, and more than one ox to be gored.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:47 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
So a person is arrested for a crime and the Police either don't bother to verify the suspects legal status or they are told not to by their boss the mayor or they simply let the guy go.
WHY?

What is in it for the cities and towns to ignore federal law? What is so great about having a percentage of your city population walking around the streets not beholden to any laws?
In some cities they get caught and are prosecuted IF they show up for their court date and in other cities they know that they will not show up so they are allowed to walk.

With Trump he is ending Federal funding to these cities and towns that are found in violation of the immigration laws which means they will be losing piles of money AND they are going to have to pay money back that they already received.

Why would a city choose to keep their status as a sanctuary city? Is it bragging rights to the other Liberal mayors? What exactly do they get by allowing illegals to thrive in their cities?
It is all about votes, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:49 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The concept is simple, you want people to report crimes and to be witnesses. Well if those witnesses are afraid to report a crime because they are afraid to be deported you need to tell them you will not have them deported. The criminals need to go to jail and then be deported. We need to keep honest working people.

Its pretty simple and works.
but but but...If the illegals were all deported, the crime rate would be lowered to such an extent that witness' wouldn't be needed. your argument is ridiculous ..

Old 01-26-2017, 06:51 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
So a person is arrested for a crime and the Police either don't bother to verify the suspects legal status or they are told not to by their boss the mayor or they simply let the guy go.
WHY?

What is in it for the cities and towns to ignore federal law? What is so great about having a percentage of your city population walking around the streets not beholden to any laws?
In some cities they get caught and are prosecuted IF they show up for their court date and in other cities they know that they will not show up so they are allowed to walk.

With Trump he is ending Federal funding to these cities and towns that are found in violation of the immigration laws which means they will be losing piles of money AND they are going to have to pay money back that they already received.

Why would a city choose to keep their status as a sanctuary city? Is it bragging rights to the other Liberal mayors? What exactly do they get by allowing illegals to thrive in their cities?
look you started off wrong, and clearly don't know what a sanctuary city even is.

Hint if someone is arrested for a "crime" resident status does not get them off the hook, it is clear you wish to pretend otherwise.. or are just profoundly ignorant of the topic at hand.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:01 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
bragging rights for virtue-signaling leftists.
that's about it.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:08 PM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
There has been many good comments made here but I don't think we are any closer to understanding the benefits to a city or town to continue their sanctuary city status.
Cheap labor makes a bit of sense but future democrat voters makes more.
If Hillary had won is there any doubt that she would have granted amnesty to millions of illegals so they could "pay their fair share"? but of course taxation without representation would have been the next step and whamo the illegals get the vote.

Why can't the police detain a person that cannot show or prove that they are here legally. I know that I would have problems if I was picked up and didn't have the proper ID's. In the case of an illegal alien ICE should be called and that person picked up by them. Trump is going to change that of course.

I think a result of Trump being tough on illegal aliens will lead them to stop committing crimes out of fear of being arrested and deported. Under Obama the fear of deportation was low so they would often break the law without much fear.

Illegal aliens should not receive any special considerations over that of citizens or those who immigrated legally but they have until now.

Defund the sanctuary cities. If the mayors insist on violating the law I'm sure their days will be numbered when elections come along.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:08 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
but but but...If the illegals were all deported, the crime rate would be lowered to such an extent that witness' wouldn't be needed. your argument is ridiculous ..
If they are deported and the jobs and benefits are still here, they soon will be again also, wall or not. Deal with the real issue and this stuff solves itself.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:19 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You're right about the abuses, and about pointing out that america's pride in buying cheap is a big factor in this problem.

But the sanctuary city movement has its roots in religious and anti-poverty organizations who were concerned about the welfare of these largely defenseless workers.

It just points up the simple fact that this is not a black/white issue, there are competing interests here, and more than one ox to be gored.
You should replace that with Sanctuary Cities have it's roots in farm and Chamber of commerce lobbies.

I understand there are groups of people who care but up the chain it's just numbers. It's all about producing the most goods for the least amount of money. Why else do you think they'd fight this hard to keep undocumented workers in America?

It's why we ignore Mexico's human rights abuses too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies