Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 02:18 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I'm a liberal who did not vote for Trump but honest to G*d I hoped for the best. Trump's early rhetoric about bridging the Congressional aisle made sense. He was a voice for the Rust Belt and those who have been overlooked by both parties. Unfortunately, the messenger isn't up to the message.

This may well be "fake news" and the source (Daily Kos) sure isn't up there on the unbiased index. Frankly, though, this may well be the state of affairs. Yellow showers no, this yes.

West Wing leaker goes dark after pulling back the curtain: Trump "irrational", staff "demoralized"

Highlights:

* Trump has no idea how to fix Obamacare. He still doesn't know what a high risk pool is.

* Trump wants to start leaking directly to wikileaks to corner opponents.

* Priebus wants to resign but Ryan so far has talked him out of it.

* There's no idea even how to begin to deal with the difficult terrain issues to build a wall between the US and Mexico.

* He has no interest in or ability to absorb factual background on issues that staff provides.
whenever the word anonymous is in a statement or article it loses all value. and when I see someone say: Honest to God I really hoped the best for him; the statement loses even more value.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:21 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quick enough View Post
"trump has none of those qualities."

have you ever worked for him?

If, not you are making some pretty big assessments without having any personal experience.

I have read of many people who have had business and working contact with him over the years and they say and entirely different story.

I wonder who we should believe, someone who has probably never even met the man much less worked with or for him , or people with personal experience? Hmm! Tough choice.
have you worked for him?

Old 01-27-2017, 02:21 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,014,603 times
Liberal outlets are very eager to jump on anything and trying to stick it. Problem is when they have something little credible, they might not have enough trust in the audience to convince. If they are patient enough, they will get their chance.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:23 PM

8,478 posts, read 3,271,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Trump has none of those qualities."

Have you ever worked for him?

If, not you are making some pretty big assessments without having any personal experience.

I have read of MANY people who have had business and working contact with him over the years and they say and ENTIRELY DIFFERENT STORY.

I wonder who we should believe, someone who has probably NEVER even met the man much less worked with or for him , or people WITH personal experience? Hmm! Tough choice.
Again, I think we're victim of different news outlets for it's easy enough in the "Liberal" press to stumble across accounts of the New York banks refusing to deal with him (although that was in part due to the bankruptcies) and when the highly aggressive negotiating style was a not a plus.

That's not to say that the accounts you came across aren't valid. Trump strikes me as a bit of an enigma - a man of great strengths matched at times by great weaknesses. And he DOES possess a key characteristic often found in executives - sociability. The ability to charm when needed goes a long way to forward a career (even if you're a SOB to subordinates and at home).

Earlier another poster's take was that Trump demonstrated great leadership tendencies since he would delegate and that it was not necessary for an executive to become involved in the details for that would constitute micro-management.

With him, I disagreed. Professionally, I've worked with a number of executives in a variety of industries as well as the outside attorneys who represented them. Almost to a one they were highly informed and extremely competent in their firms' specialty. Sure, they couldn't perform the actual work say of an engineer - but they sure knew the questions to ask and how to evaluate the bulls*hit. Here, Trump really needs to take the security briefings daily. Perhaps he will for his initial take didn't impress (me): "I'm, like, a smart person. I don't have to be told the same thing in the same words every single day for the next eight years," the president-elect added. "I don't need that. But I do say, 'If something should change, let us know.'"

Old 01-27-2017, 06:29 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,809,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I have been part of an executive team and I agree with your assessment of how a good exec team works. But I don't agree with your view that Trump is a good CEO. All the CEOs I worked with were good leaders - they communicated well, supportive of their team, instilled a sense of confidence that his/her vision was a good one for the company, took the long view on things, knew what was important and what wasn't, and were pretty thick skinned because things don't always go as planned and you have to roll with the punches.

Trump has none of those qualities. He bullies and berates people and rants and raves rather than communicates. It is unclear if he even has a strategy as he seems to just unleash diatribes about whatever he last saw on TV. I would also counter that he does micromanage - for instance this business about the 20% import tax should have been determined by the State Department working with congress to make sure it is workable and then communicated. It wasn't. Trump simply told Spicer what to say and it blew up in his face.

Trump may be fine as the head of a family run company that has nobody to answer to but he would never work as the CEO of a major corporation that has a board and has stock holders. And he is even less suited for this role in which he has to work with congress, governors, and foreign leaders.

But as you said, we will see. We will know in 180 days whether we can get through 4 years or whether someone needs to figure out if incompetence qualifies for applying the 25th Amendment.

Something I sincerely disagree with you on deals with the fact that not a single one of those people who work in the Trump administration was forced to join his administration nor are they forced to stay if they don't like how Trump interacts with them.

I did not vote for the man but he did make some serious campaign promises, and IF he is able to accomplish even half of what he promised, I imagine the train ride for any member of his team will be an exciting one. Mind you that train may derail, but it still has the potential to be quite a ride. So these staffers can either get on board and enjoy all the excitement and thrills of that wild ride OR they can choose to stand on the sidelines and watch from their "safe space" as the ride goes by without them.

This administration is likely to make history, one way or another. Only time will tell which way it went.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:50 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,809,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The trouble is that it's completely, totally, entirely plausible. Seriously, we all, from the most liberal Democrat to the most conservative Republican, know he's half off his rocker.

Bull**** You KNOW no such thing. As far as I can tell, the man is simply an eccentric and egotistical man who, due to his money, success and upbringing rubs some people wrong. There is absolutely nothing that suggests he is "half off his rocker" or somehow otherwise mentally unstable using any other false descriptor you choose.

The fact is you don't like the way he comes across, despise his stated agenda and/or his campaign promises, therefore you want to use any means you can come up with to somehow discredit him by badmouthing him, then claiming both sides agree.

There is absolutely no substance to your claim. None whatsoever.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-27-2017 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: bypassing the profanity filter

Old 01-27-2017, 06:52 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,014,603 times
Whistle blower story within a week. We need stories with bigger blowers in coming week.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:02 PM

14,799 posts, read 11,943,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
Whistle blower story within a week. We need stories with bigger blowers in coming week.
Even if they're blowing phony whistles. Sure.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:05 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,327,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I'm a liberal who did not vote for Trump but honest to G*d I hoped for the best. Trump's early rhetoric about bridging the Congressional aisle made sense. He was a voice for the Rust Belt and those who have been overlooked by both parties. Unfortunately, the messenger isn't up to the message.

This may well be "fake news" and the source (Daily Kos) sure isn't up there on the unbiased index. Frankly, though, this may well be the state of affairs. Yellow showers no, this yes.

West Wing leaker goes dark after pulling back the curtain: Trump "irrational", staff "demoralized"

Highlights:

* Trump has no idea how to fix Obamacare. He still doesn't know what a high risk pool is.

* Trump wants to start leaking directly to wikileaks to corner opponents.

* Priebus wants to resign but Ryan so far has talked him out of it.

* There's no idea even how to begin to deal with the difficult terrain issues to build a wall between the US and Mexico.

* He has no interest in or ability to absorb factual background on issues that staff provides.

Oh, he's done now. It's over for sure.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:07 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,577,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Something I sincerely disagree with you on deals with the fact that not a single one of those people who work in the Trump administration was forced to join his administration nor are they forced to stay if they don't like how Trump interacts with them.

I did not vote for the man but he did make some serious campaign promises, and IF he is able to accomplish even half of what he promised, I imagine the train ride for any member of his team will be an exciting one. Mind you that train may derail, but it still has the potential to be quite a ride. So these staffers can either get on board and enjoy all the excitement and thrills of that wild ride OR they can choose to stand on the sidelines and watch from their "safe space" as the ride goes by without them.

This administration is likely to make history, one way or another. Only time will tell which way it went.
Absolutely. I am along for journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
...snipped....

Some person anonymously CLAIMS to be a White House staffer on twitter, posting all kinds of negative tweets about the Trump administration. Then a few hours later, they delete the account. A REAL news organization would attempt to find out if any of it was actually real. But instead a fake news organization takes it at face value and reports on it as if it is real.
This.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-28-2017 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted posts and replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies