Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 11:49 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Don't forget, most processed food uses Mexican produce. No more tomatoes on your fast food burgers!
Well Holy cow, we will all starve without micky D's burgers with hydroponically grown paper thin tomatoes.
See that's a win-win. No Mexican tomatoes= no fast food=healthier eating=thinner Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 11:54 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well Holy cow, we will all starve without micky D's burgers with hydroponically grown paper thin tomatoes.
See that's a win-win. No Mexican tomatoes= no fast food=healthier eating=thinner Americans.
Remember this?

Human Waste Used by 200 Million Farmers, Study Says

Old 01-27-2017, 12:03 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,781,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yes, but the midwest only grows corn and soy.
Not true. Have you ever been to the midwest? Michigan grows most of the apples in the U.S. ( after WA and NY) and blueberries are available at many u -pick farms. During the summer months there is an abundance of foods grown in the midwest available at farmers markets and food co-ops.

Last edited by Wintergirl80; 01-27-2017 at 12:23 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 12:06 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The tariffs will take approximately FOUR MONTHS to get enough money for the wall... on top of that, there is a LONG line of countries willing to sell at or below Mexico's price for goods... The US Wins... Mexico Loses... what country doesn't want 300 billion worth of trade, ONLY Mexico...
If Mexico's prices are 20% higher than market prices, the other producers will raise their prices 19.5%.

Is it really all that hard to understand?

Old 01-27-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Please, ever hear of plastic. It's not a new invention. Greenhouses are easy to make. Not so much for apt dwellers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Probably. I used to get homemade tortillas from the Mexicans I worked with. Now i'm currently buying "Mama lupes"..........their made in Kansas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Have you heard of Hydroponics? Indoor farming that grows BETTER than outdoors... these MegaFarms are making small family farmers obsolete because they can grow bigger and year round... they are also heavily subsidized by the government... I would love for Trump to incentivize Mexican produce to MegaFarm production...
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I'm surprised people are unaware that CA can grow lettuce in winter months. not to mention florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
I'd rather pay you less as well. Perhaps we can subsidize your foreign competition instead of someone else this time around.
So do all of you who are going on about how you won't buy anything from Mexico realize that if you don't buy Mexican products with their 20% tariff, you won't be getting your beloved wall anytime soon?

In fact, your argument that you won't buy products from Mexico is the perfect illustration of why President Dumbass's idea is a loser from the get-go. You clearly understand that any 20% tariff will be passed on to the consumer which means U.S. consumers will be paying for the wall.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:14 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
There are many South American countries that would fill that void very quickly.

Seriously, just stop with the scare tactics.

In the end, NAFTA is going to be renegotiated, and Mexico will pay for the wall.
Prices would still go up. It's cheaper and more efficient to get produce from Mexico due to logistics.

The last time I was in Europe, I was checking on product prices. Avocados, peppers, and certain fruits were 3+ euros each. Here in Texas, I can commonly find avocados for less than 50 cents each.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:15 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Looks like I'll be drinking more American beer and eating good ol hamburgers, potatoes and corn based products. The diet of champions. USA is #1
Americans would eat more seasonal based diets. And we do grow many of those things ourselves. Texas strawberries, onions, watermelons, olives, grapes, etc...Florida Citrus, Washington apples, new York cherries, Oregon and Washington blackberries, olathe sweet corn, new mexico Chile's, Colorado fruit, cattle and other livestock....

Old 01-27-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Before Nafta we fed ourselves with fruits and vegetables from our own country. We have rich farm land here. The sanitary conditions in Mexico are way below our standards here.. they go to the bathroom outside because the country is primitive. Their water is bad.

We never know what we are eating . I would rather buy from American markets here as it used to be. I remember when Jersey tomatoes were plentiful. The best tomato ever. Things have changed for the worst. They ship watermelons not ripe and have not had a decent watermelon in a long time. PA used to have the sweetest tasting fruits you can imagine. So much flavor you savored it . Now it all has no taste or barely good.
California grows some great strawberries . I rather buy fruit from California and Florida in the winter months.
That's great. But if the rest of American consumers react like you, you'll never get your precious wall. The point of the proposed tariff was to raise money to pay for the wall. No money=no wall.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I thought of this today. I'm really getting hungry for some good vegetables. Most of them come from Mexico.
I'm sure there are plenty of local farms you could buy from in your state.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
if Monsanto made a contract with your farm to sell corn to it- and now its too much $$$ to export to mexico for tortillas - you now are a broke farmer - we cannot eat corn fritters 24-7-- we do NOT make everything like we used to -- so until harvest ??
If people told Monsanto enough is enough, and take their farms back, then you could grow whatever you wanted. Monsanto has gotten too big anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies