Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 12:49 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times

Advertisements

Looking back over the past eight years, it seems like the real backlash against Obama and progressiveness happened around the time of the Obergefell vs Hodges decision. While the SCOTUS decision sent religious conservatives into a frenzy, it was Obama's lighting of the White House in rainbow colors that pushed them over the edge. The mood in this country changed around that time. A hornet's nest was stirred up. It emboldened and empowered evangelicals to "take their country back" from the perceived enemy of Godlessness and secularism.

So I am wondering, if Obama would have not lit the White House in rainbow colors after the Obergefell vs Hodges discussion, might we have avoided President Trump? While I fully support LGBT rights (I am a closeted gay man myself), I think lighting the White House in rainbow colors angered conservatives to dangerous levels. With such a large percentage of the country not only opposed to gay marriage, but vehemently opposed to it, viewing it as a sign of the end of the world, was Obama right to light the White House in rainbow colors? Do you think had he not have done so, it could have prevented the current political climate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 12:55 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
The only thing that would have kept Trump out of office is if either Hillary had run a better campaign or someone else won the nomination.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:58 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,014 times
I do not accept that the lighting of the white house was an influential moment in American history in the first place, so I cannot accept this reasoning as a consequence of that. That said, if indeed you're correct, America deserve to collapse so a country with people who have the capacity to think can come into existence. If the lighting of the light house actually bothered you, I'm gonna be as clear as I can be: it sucks your parents didn't wear a condom becasue now the rest of us have to deal with your bull****.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:59 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Looking back over the past eight years, it seems like the real backlash against Obama and progressiveness happened around the time of the Obergefell vs Hodges decision. While the SCOTUS decision sent religious conservatives into a frenzy, it was Obama's lighting of the White House in rainbow colors that pushed them over the edge. The mood in this country changed around that time. A hornet's nest was stirred up. It emboldened and empowered evangelicals to "take their country back" from the perceived enemy of Godlessness and secularism.

So I am wondering, if Obama would have not lit the White House in rainbow colors after the Obergefell vs Hodges discussion, might we have avoided President Trump? While I fully support LGBT rights (I am a closeted gay man myself), I think lighting the White House in rainbow colors angered conservatives to dangerous levels. With such a large percentage of the country not only opposed to gay marriage, but vehemently opposed to it, viewing it as a sign of the end of the world, was Obama right to light the White House in rainbow colors? Do you think had he not have done so, it could have prevented the current political climate?
I think there's some logic there. I'm just against lighting the White House in any method like that.. Didn't he light it purple when Prince died? It's the people's house.. I don't feel it needs to be commentating like that.. If that makes sense?

I'm fine with the court decision.. I think it's fine for there to be things like that to protect LGBT rights, I think in many cases those protections need to be there.. I do understand the religious folks who don't like it being called "marriage".. I kinda thought they should have compromised and just referred to them as civil unions, with the exact same rights as marriage, but...

So, it's not why the White House was being lit up.. I just disagree with it being lit up differently for ANY reason. It's.. Trashy. What's next? Lighting it up in the Patriots colors if they win the Super Bowl? That'd kinda tick off the Falcons fans.. And, it's their house, too.

Anyway.. There's MY reasons why I think it's wrong.. Do I think you have a point regarding it ticking off the religious side? Yes. For different reasons than my own, but.. There's many reasons why changing the colors on the White House (Even through lighting) is a bad idea.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,554 times
Quote:

Dunno, but Obama if not a closet homosexual himself, is a big promoter of the homosexual lifestyle.

‘Obama Was Known To Be A Homosexual In Chicago With Rahm Emanuel’ | Right Wing Watch

Fake news or not...Americans are fed up with having homosexuality force-fed to them day and night by Obama and his Hollywood cronies.

The dems just don't get it. They can only destroy a country so far before it comes back to bite the, The dems created a world where 2 hairy men can be husband and wife. Where a man with a penis is a woman. In such a world anything goes...even TRUMP!

Thanks Prez Trump for bringing America back from the brink of hell.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:01 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Gay rights had little to nothing to do with Trump being elected. If you don't understand that, you don't understand why he is president.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:02 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Evangelicals got teed off at Obama about gay rights, so they elected a thrice married, foul mouthed, man who called his own daughter a "piece of ***" and says that he supports gay rights?

Huh?

Old 01-27-2017, 01:03 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The only thing that would have kept Trump out of office is if either Hillary had run a better campaign or someone else won the nomination.
But weren't the Democrats claiming that Hillary was the most qualified candidate to ever run for president?

Old 01-27-2017, 01:05 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,937,884 times
Quote:

Trump's big deal is immigration. He could care less about gay marriage.

The gay marriage thing was kinda odd though. Less than 6 years earlier even California voted against it. Suddenly everybody had rainbows on everything on Facebook. I took it to mean people nowadays easily abandon their values for whatever social media and Hollywood endorses. As long as everybody else is doing it, then they just move with the herd. It was a depressing time. Its like finding out all Cowboys fans are now Patriots fans simply because they won the Superbowl. Stick to your principles man.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:05 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Evangelicals got teed off at Obama about gay rights, so they elected a thrice married, foul mouthed, man who called his own daughter a "piece of ***" and says that he supports gay rights?

Huh?
Exactly. The religious wing of the party got stamped out over the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies