Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 12:08 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Immigration is not being stopped, but frozen for 90-120 days for 7 countries.
Then why did they detain Green Card holders and US Citizens this weekend at airports?

Washington state sues Trump over immigration order
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 12:10 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What's it going to pay?
Ha! That was funny.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:14 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Then why did they detain Green Card holders and US Citizens this weekend at airports?

1. That doesn't change what I said, that immigration is not being stopped for good but frozen temporarily.

2. I'm not sure. I've seen reports that it was confusion at the airports and most people were let in after questioning and figuring stuff out. I don't know if Trump intended what happened. If he did... oh well. I can think of only a handful of reasons why Americans would want to travel to those countries in the first place anyway, though.

The only people America really can't turn away at the borders are citizens. No one else has a right to be here or come here. It is a privilege not a right. They are temporarily being denied the privilege. Boo hoo.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:15 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Sad. These people came here legally, the right way. They have homes, jobs and families in the US. These people are taxpaying members of our country and many perform high-skilled labor and are productive members of society. Tech workers, engineers, doctors. He could have at least put these people on notice so they could make travel arrangements to return. There was no advance warning about permanent residents being barred entry, just visa applicants and refugees. There will most definitely be lawsuits.

I find it interesting that Saudi Arabia isn't on the list of banned countries, even though Saudi Arabia is the mother ship of radical Islamic extremism and exports it all over the world. And their citizens can still get a visa and come to the US. Didn't really make sense, but then I remembered, Trump does business in Saudi Arabia.

Unknown number of U.S. permanent residents stuck overseas as a result of Trump's immigration ban - LA Times
This is the double standard that conservatives excuse. I attack both conservatives and liberals. I have to be fair about this because conservatives conveniently ignore how Trump did nothing to Saudia Arabia and Pakistan due to U.S. interests. Saudi in particularly is arguable the worst offender out there and yet nothing was done to ban their citizens from entering the country.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:19 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,028 times
Quote:

Because the Executive Order did not make it clear what was to happen with green card holders.

It was a mix of bad legal writing and poor communication, both of which Trump needs to work on.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:27 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
1. That doesn't change what I said, that immigration is not being stopped for good but frozen temporarily.

2. I'm not sure. I've seen reports that it was confusion at the airports and most people were let in after questioning and figuring stuff out. I don't know if Trump intended what happened. If he did... oh well. I can think of only a handful of reasons why Americans would want to travel to those countries in the first place anyway, though.

The only people America really can't turn away at the borders are citizens. No one else has a right to be here or come here. It is a privilege not a right. They are temporarily being denied the privilege. Boo hoo.
I know you're a reasonable person.

Boohoo is way too shallow an answer for you.

Let's look at the family that came in from Syria after working on their visas for 15 years. They arrived at 7:30am on Saturday morning. They had family and a new house waiting. They had left their country before the bar was instituted. They were told at the POE that they had the choice of paying for their tickets to return or be detained indefinitely. They went back.

Now not only have they been put through this and have returned to who knows what (they're Christian Syrians) but they now have a removal/deportation on their record that will prevent them, technically, from ever entering the US. Whether they'll be able to get around this is unknown, it's now apart of their record and subject to laws.

The ban may be temporary but the toll on people is not. There's no indication that anyone who has been issued a visa and is still eligible will be allowed to continue after 90 days or if they have to start over and spend another 15 years getting approved.

I can guarantee you none of this has been addressed, given the rushed and haphazard nature of this EO.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:34 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
It was not intended to.
Quote:
2. I'm not sure. I've seen reports that it was confusion at the airports and most people were let in after questioning and figuring stuff out. I don't know if Trump intended what happened. If he did... oh well.
Oh well? That's a very poor attitude for blatant oppression based upon a poorly executed unconstitutional "plan".
Quote:
I can think of only a handful of reasons why Americans would want to travel to those countries in the first place anyway, though.
I certainly believe that...you don't appear to be very knowledgeable about those countries or people who wish to travel to them.

Quote:
The US can indeed turn away US citizens at our boarders.

Boo hoo for you in that you are displaying much ignorance. As a permanent resident (green card holder), you have the right to: Live permanently in the United States provided you do not commit any actions that would make you removable under immigration law. Work in the United States at any legal work of your qualification and choosing.

Green Card Holders have Rights to be here legally. Rights and Responsibilities of a Green Card Holder (Permanent Resident)

Most Americans with your attitude rarely have their facts straight.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:47 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
If Americans are so terrible, why should anyone want to immigrate here? They should be trying to get away from the USA, not coming here. I mean, wouldn't you feel the same way if you were an immigrant? I certainly wouldn't want to live in a country that I considered to be mean and horrible.
Amazing isn't it - why in the world would all these people want to come to the Mean Old USA? It's a Mystery.

These are the latest figures, updated in 2016. The Government is several years behind on listing figures for a lot of things. Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States |Migration Policy Institute

How many immigrants reside in the United States?

The U.S. immigrant population stood at more than 42.4 million, or 13.3 percent, of the total U.S. population of 318.9 million in 2014, according to ACS data. Between 2013 and 2014, the foreign-born population increased by 1 million, or 2.5 percent.

Immigrants in the United States and their U.S.-born children now number approximately 81 million people, or 26 percent of the overall U.S. population.

How many people immigrated to the United States last year?

In 2014, 1.3 million foreign-born individuals moved to the United States, an 11 percent increase from 1.2 million in 2013.

Over a MILLION people immigrate to the USA every year ..... Incredible numbers.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:48 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:

The US can indeed turn away US citizens at our boarders.
No they can't.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:18 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
You started posting pre-clearance airports, not me.
In response to another poster stating some weren't even able to board US-bound flights. And that's true. Pre-screening does exist in some international airports. If one doesn't pass the pre-screening, they can't board the flight. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies