Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 11:32 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I guess since it's an adult veteran rather than a child and doesn't have just the right photo angle and poetic backdrop as the image you posted, it doesn't tug at the heartstrings quite as much?
I'm unclear that there needs to be a choice between accepting refugee orphans and offering care for our veterans. It's possible to do both.

I wonder what happened to "compassionate conservatism"?

Time has a way of putting perspective on matters. Anytime we try to exclude or demonize the "other," we end up loking shameful and small as a country. Think "Loving v Virginia," Jim Crow, Japanese internment camps, McCarthyism, the rise of the KKK, etc. This will be looked on as another period of history when our country failed to live up to our values and ideals.

So continue to be proud of your country and one another. Some of of the views you are expressing in this thread will go down as among the most shameful examples of our age. Seriously, have you no decency?

Old 01-28-2017, 11:32 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Where was the liberal outrage when Obama had a tiny number of Middle East Christian refugees deported? I have not seen a single story about a horrible crime Arab Christians have committed anywhere. This is not about helping suffering people, it's 100% about altering the demographics of the USA in a way that benefits Democrats. Probably 90% of Arab Christians will become Republican while 90% of Muslim immigrants will become Democrats. It is about repopulating Democrat controlled places that have a mass exodus of American citizens. Democrats are stooping to the level of the Communists in China, who also alter Demographics in places that don't submit like Tibet or Uighur areas.

Iraqi refugees to be deported, ICE says - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Old 01-28-2017, 11:34 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Trump forgot to include Pakistan on that list and ideally should have included Saudi Arabia as well.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:37 AM

516 posts, read 429,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Yay, 110,000 possible new recruits for ISIS and radical Islam! Celebrate! Huzzah! In fifteen to twenty years, these people's children will be launching terrorist attacks on Americans abroad, but hey, who cares, right?
Ignorant post.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:41 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
This is an eastern hemisphere problem let THEM deal with it. This is most definitely partially the fault of Obama and the Democrats FAILED diplomacy and foreign policy.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:41 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Trump forgot to include Pakistan on that list and ideally should have included Saudi Arabia as well.
He probably should have but he limited it to countries virtually without governments, countries with almost no control over their populations and countries that were openly hostile and uncooperative to the U.S.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:42 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That wonderful "Arab Spring" Obama and Hillary promoted couldn't have been any more disastrous. Thank God the Egyptian military was able to take back control or we'd be talking about hundreds of thousands of Egyptian refugees as well.
Blaming Obama for the Arab Spring or what has been transpiring in the Middle East past, present or future is part of that ignorance I fear, because the understanding is incredibly lacking. Needless to say, there is far too much history and dynamic born from far too many sources that have made the ME what it is today to straighten out any of this misguided thinking in the space of one comment or one thread. Impossible really, but how about just a simple suggested start, first step...

Consider the source of the problem(s) in the ME, their origins, why they persist, who has been responsible for what, and for how long. Then explain how much of that explains today's circumstances (including the Arab Spring) regardless of Obama.

That should keep you plenty busy for a long time before you can try to comment intelligently about what is happening in the ME today and why. Don't be lazy now! World history goes a little further back than eight years!

Old 01-28-2017, 11:45 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
How ironic. The country founded on freedom of religion is refusing entrance to refugees from a war tron country just because they are a different religion than the majority of us. And you can't justify it in any other way, because there is no evidence these people will be violent. Just because a tiny minority of Muslims are violent doesn't mean all of them will be. This is discrimination, pure and simple.
They are not refusing anything. They are delaying entrance until they are vetted fully. Something the previous president's administration didn't feel was necessary.

News flash: Refugees from other countries are not guaranteed a place in our country just because they demand it. This demand that the US MUST take them in is ridiculous.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:46 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
This is an eastern hemisphere problem let THEM deal with it. Europe is a bunch of pansies too scared to do anything about problems in their own backyard. This is most definitely partially the fault of Obama and the Democrats FAILED diplomacy and foreign policy.
No. I think more correctly the problem here is in one mental hemisphere or another. Neither can or should should be separated from the other to avoid further brain damage. I also fear that further exposure to such thinking by reading too many more comments like these in this thread might be hazardous to one's mental health. I think best I sign off now...

Old 01-28-2017, 11:47 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I agree. I especially would've swapped out the ban on Iranians for a ban on Saudis. Saudi Arabia is the source of the radical Wahhabi Sunni sect of Islam responsible for most hostility towards the West. Whereas Iran is mostly Shia Muslim, a relatively more moderate branch of Islam that also suffers at the hands of Wahhabist extremists.

That said, I'd ideally prefer to stop accepting refugees altogether for now, and what Trump did is a step in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies