Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 02:41 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Secure the border!

Walls

Fences

Cameras

Sensors

Hire more immigration LEO

Revamp our visa program, so track and apprehend visa overstays

All the above etc... and then some more if necessary to protect our national sovereignty.
Better translate that into Russian, so The Donald can run it by the real boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 02:45 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The number of people on food stamps is about 4 million less today than it was few years ago.

Not that it has anything to do with the topic.
People on food stamps, which is now called SNAP

1993 - 23 million
1996 - 26 million
2002 - 19 million
2007 - 26 million
2009 - 33 million
2010 - 44 million
2013 - 47 million
2016 - 44 million

Forgive me if I don't applaud your attempt at trying to make it look like the huge drop in people on SNAP is all it's fired up to be.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:46 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Building a wall is like expecting a deadbolt you purchase at lowes to keep a criminal out of your home.. it will deter some, but determined ones that want to get in surely will.. they will just fine the weakness in the defense, word of mouth will spread, and they will get in.

If they wanted to really deter illegal aliens, they should just go an execute on the spot anyone found smuggling drugs into the county, no trial, no jury.. you have pounds of cocaine or heroin on you and you are found, bam you're dead.

We aren't really willing to do what would really be effective because it would be seen as "cruel"

If I thought the wall would work, I would support it. I would also support simply invading and annexing Mexico and making it part of the US. We probably don't have the manpower to do that though while getting rid of the corruption they have down there. In order for the wall to work you need it to be very tall, with barb wire on top, resistant to the barb wire being cut by wire cutters or the wall being scaled with a rope or ladder, you need in depth searches of all trucks at all entry points to check for people and drugs hiding in vehicles.. with a border that size it seems somewhat impractical. Then you have to assume all the states will play along, and there's a good chance CA won't.. they've proven they'll be a sanctuary state for these people in the past...

It seems like a great idea, but will it keep people out? It's only our culture that keeps people from breaking into our houses.. if anybody wanted to they could get into any home.. cut through the paper thin garage doors, break a window, drill the cheap deadbolts we use... I think I know how to scale most fences.. barbed wire as a deterrent? Give me a break. Pretty sure I can scale any fence with the proper tools and a few hours of time.

Getting tired of the lies and excuses for not building the 700 mile long wall on the most porous areas of our southern border already approved by congress but then liberals and ethnocentrics never did let facts get in the way of their agendas.

Where U.S.-Mexico border fence is tall, it works

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control : NPR

Last edited by Oldglory; 01-28-2017 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-28-2017, 02:47 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Sure, I'll pay for it.

It's a simple matter of a Cost-Benefit Analysis.

It costs more to not have a wall, than to have one.

The wall will keep out illegals, criminals, guns, drugs, and back-pack nukes just to name a few things.
Exactly. Why aren't liberals crying and screaming about the tens of billions spent every year by taxpayers to feed, house, educate, incarcerate, and provide medical care for illegals?
Yes, I'd pay for the wall in a second but I already am as described above.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:47 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't know where you are getting your figures but I'll roll with it. Let's make a deal! Those who don't want the wall will have to cover the share of the $113 billion a year that illegals cost us for those of us who do want the wall. The wall is a one time expense plus maintenance. The $113 billion is the cost for each and every year that illegals incur on the taxpayer and will only rise unless we do something to deter them. I'll gladly pick up the tab for someone who don't want the wall. Now who's on the losing end of this deal? Sounds like a plan to me!
That number was cooked up by an anti-immigration group, and had been ruled FALSE. Its fake news. Also, unlike Trump, the illegals actually pay taxes.

I'm fine with a wall, but I am not asking for one, and therefore don't want to pay for it.

If you think your taxes will be reduced when the wall is built, I have just one thing to say: LOL

Old 01-28-2017, 02:50 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That number was cooked up by an anti-immigration group, and had been ruled FALSE. Its fake news. Also, unlike Trump, the illegals actually pay taxes.

I'm fine with a wall, but I am not asking for one, and therefore don't want to pay for it.
Really? Maybe when they go to the store they pay some sales taxes. Otherwise, half of the illegals get payed working under the table or work for themselves, avoiding other taxes.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:54 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,133 times
OP, it is part of security. Yes, I will pay towards it if I have to. But first the sanctuary states need to be defunded and the fed $ held back needs to be used for the wall.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:56 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,141,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I do find it hilarious that Trump might increase illegal immigration by making Mexico worse.
The liberal nonsense line is that we should not enforce our immigration laws, because not letting people come into the US illegally, will just cause more people to come in illegally.

That is what you are arguing here.

Simply put, your complaint is that any action taken by the US which prevents people from illegally entering the US, we will make Mexico worse, and increase illegal immigration.

It would not matter if we prevented illegal immigration with a fence, or more border agents, or E-verify, or visa enforcement, or better screening at the border, or anything else we do. To you it's all stupid, and we should not bother doing any of it because it will... "increase illegal immigration by making Mexico worse"

Old 01-28-2017, 02:58 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,295 times
Trump and his cabinet could pay for it themselves. They have the money.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:58 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,119,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Yep I understand why you would think it unfair. Life is not always fair.

Unfortunately, the US govt did not enforce our borders and immigration policy.

As a country, we are somewhat complicit in the condition that illegal immigrants who are not criminal, but are simply trying to improve their lives find themselves.

Given than, a compromise is reasonable in my opinion. You are free to disagree.

As an American and as a rational person, I don't see the benefit of penalizing millions of people who are peacefully abiding amongst us. Sure, we could deport them, but why? They are doing jobs that we need and want done.

Cut the flow of illegals off and then deal with the ones we have allowed to stay here for years.

Additionally, it would be a brilliant move on the part of Republicans imo to grant these people a path to citizenship and potentially obtain their vote in the future.

Most Mexican illegals that I know are far more conservative than liberal.

Since our government didn't enforce our immigration laws as they should have we law abiding Americans aren't going to pay for their negligence by accepting or advocating for another amnesty or compromising. Fool me once.... No one has the right to improve their lives by breaking laws and taking from others what doesn't belong to them. What part of that don't you get? By improving their lives they have made the lives of regular Americans more difficult. Your compassion is so misplaced.

Peaceful or not they have taken jobs from Americans and Americans need those jobs back! Do you also think that we shouldn't penalize American law breakers? Why have any laws then? Deport them, why? Because they violated our laws and have taken jobs, resources and taxes from Americans, that's why! They are a burden to our society not a benefit. They also send billions out of our country not spent in our country and would continue to do so with or without an amnesty. I suggest you start putting Americans first and start respecting the rule of law.

I don't know what issues you think illegal Mexicans are more conservative about but it's irrelevant. Most American citizens of Mexican descent vote Democrat not Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies