Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 01:42 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
We're not paying for it so no need to answer. Have heard rumors of e-verify being enforced so that would help tremendously.
We're not? Didn't he say the other day, we'll pay for and build the wall but Mexico will have to reimburse us? That's like loaning money to your neighbor because he says he's expecting a check any day now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 01:43 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A wall is a stupid, expensive idea. It's not cost effective, and will require never ending maintenance.

Stupid and expensive? Illegals cost us $113 billion a year vs a $25 billion wall and the expense of maintaining it. Do the math!

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control : NPR

Where U.S.-Mexico border fence is tall, it works

Old 01-28-2017, 01:44 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
All the foreign aid cash given to Mexico, that will no longer make it to the bank accounts of those corrupt politicians in Mexico, will pay for the wall.
That sounds highly illegal. The US government can't simply seize cash from one group of people under their jurisdiction to use for their nefarious purposes.

That's probably why Gump hasn't brought it up.

Legal immigrants send billions to Mexico too. Taking their money, and their money alone, to pay for a stupid wall is an enormous violation of their constitutional rights.

Then again, even undocumented immigrants have 14th amendment rights too, and seizing their money violates them too.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:44 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Yes, if the wall would keep illegals out, I'd be happy to pay for it. Look at all the cost involved in letting them in?!

Old 01-28-2017, 01:45 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I thought you people believed in history. Unless you're a Native American you are a foreigner. Why is this so difficult to comprehend?
Because I was born in Boston.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:47 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
We're not? Didn't he say the other day, we'll pay for and build the wall but Mexico will have to reimburse us? That's like loaning money to your neighbor because he says he's expecting a check any day now.
..... On which you have a lien..

Old 01-28-2017, 01:48 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I would love to get off food stamps. I think it's stupid to be on them but I'm certainly not getting off just to entertain Trumps ego in building this wall.
Some people actually aren't capable of working too..as you say the children and the elderly.
I work as a part time cashier at a grocery store. Funny thing, I'm going to say, for every 100 customers that come through with a food stamp card, at least 99 of them were not born here, and are immigrants, quite recent might I add, because they do have very thick accents. Please, tell me where else could I as an American citizen, go and move to another country because I don't like this one, and get a job, benefits and welfare. My life is getting worse and more harder, inflation going through the roof, the paycheck not keeping up, but because I am a responsible adult not popping out kids that I can't afford, don't have any special interest groups to stick up for me, or organizations I can turn to for help. My only option is to either get a third job, or just stop paying some bills and ruin my credit. I'm not against migration, obviously my ancestors were immigrants. But, I just think it's only fair that if my family can come here with nothing, and make something of themselves without asking for handouts, there is no reason why the newer immigrants can't as well. I'm tired of my quality of life going to hell because I am being over taxed and regulated so some immigrant can have the plush life. I can't even afford to run my AC in the summer, but the next door neighbors from one of the island countries seem to run the ac on a big house thanks to vouchers, drive around in Mercedes and BMW's and dress in high end clothes thanks to selling drugs and every night, throw huge parties,thanks to the welfare their baby mama's are bringing in, smoking pot, driving recklessly around the neighborhood with expired license plates on their cars, go to sleep and not have to wake up until noon the next day, just to do it all over again. All of those activities in turn, cause my insurance on the house and car to go up because they are creating unsafe conditions, cost of food is going through the roof, and dread the day I have to actually go to the hospital for some major treatment.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
If America builds "The Wall", someone in Mexico will build a tunnel or hundreds of tunnels underneath it! Hudson River meet Lincoln Tunnel!

Old 01-28-2017, 01:50 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I work as a part time cashier at a grocery store. Funny thing, I'm going to say, for every 100 customers that come through with a food stamp card, at least 99 of them were not born here, and are immigrants, quite recent might I add, because they do have very thick accents. Please, tell me where else could I as an American citizen, go and move to another country because I don't like this one, and get a job, benefits and welfare. My life is getting worse and more harder, inflation going through the roof, the paycheck not keeping up, but because I am a responsible adult not popping out kids that I can't afford, don't have any special interest groups to stick up for me, or organizations I can turn to for help. My only option is to either get a third job, or just stop paying some bills and ruin my credit. I'm not against migration, obviously my ancestors were immigrants. But, I just think it's only fair that if my family can come here with nothing, and make something of themselves without asking for handouts, there is no reason why the newer immigrants can't as well. I'm tired of my quality of life going to hell because I am being over taxed and regulated so some immigrant can have the plush life. I can't even afford to run my AC in the summer, but the next door neighbors from one of the island countries seem to run the ac on a big house, drive around in Mercedes and BMW's, dress in high end clothes, and every night, throw huge parties, smoking pot, driving recklessly around the neighborhood with expired license plates on their cars, go to sleep and not have to wake up until noon the next day, just to do it all over again.
This is reality. A hard working person not asking for anything other than a level playing field.
Hope you voted for Trump by the way.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:51 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
All this wall talk. So, if you have to pay for the wall, would you rather spend the money to physically stop intruders with more border patrol?

Can it even be done?

Which is cheaper in the long run?

Finally, what stops Mexicans et al from simply flying to Canada and walking south? Will we need another wall?
Where do I send my check?

If they have the money to fly to Canada ... wait, Canada has pretty tough immigration law too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies