Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 02:09 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,280,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You obviously have some political agenda, the Boston bombers, the shoe bomber, San Bernadino Terrorist, Florida night club assassinations of gay club members, Ft Hood muders were all Islamic atracks on Americans. Maybe we should believe Obama that these were all Work place violence
Um, no, this is absolutely untrue. These terror attacks were all done by legal American citizens. No ISIS, no Al Queda, no banned refugees, nothing. These were Americans!

Boston bombers were from Russia and legal. Shoe bomber legal, attack failed. San Bernadino attacks from U.S. citizens. Florida night club from U.S. citizens. Ft. Hood murder were U.S. citizens. Almost all were born and raised in the U.S., had no religious upbringing, and were regular Americans, no less!

If you want to stop these attacks, using your logic, you will need to deport American citizens, because they're the ones committing the murders. Let's start deporting red-blooded Americans, because they're the ones causing the violence, to the tune of 16,000 murders a year. Refugees from banned countries have never committed a terrorist act in the U.S. in the history of the refugee policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 02:13 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,815,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I read that there was confusion at the airports over the executive order; a misunderstanding. Who knows what the truth actually is.

I agree with another poster who basically said the President shouldn't govern, relaying his executive orders, by tweet. It leaves too much room for interpretation. I'm sure he probably had something in writing, but the MSM was too lazy to do their homework, so they probably just went with his short tweet and filled in what they didn't know with what they assumed.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette118 View Post
It has no effect on my life.

I am an American citizen.
If you're a citizen of the U.S., it absolutely affects your life, because it makes your country a global pariah, it will make international travel more difficult for you, and it puts you and your loved ones more at risk, because the U.S. has just proven radical Islam to be correct - they have always claimed the U.S. does not hate terrorists but rather hates Muslims, and they appear to be accurate on this point.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Maybe, after witnessing the chaos in Europe that comes from importing hundreds of thousands of people who refuse to adapt to the local culture, they'd just like to keep it that way?
There is no chaos in Europe. The U.S. is like 10x more dangerous than Europe. Germany is MUCH safer and more stable than the U.S., despite absorbing millions of refugees in two years.

And I am HIGHLY skeptical that most Trump voters have an accurate read of Europe. I bet most don't even have passports, and have never left the U.S. They read stupid fakenews on Breitbart and assume Germany is in chaos, when crime is actually down.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:31 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,925,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The U.S. is like 10x more dangerous than Europe.
You keep saying this and it's true but misleading. The US pretty much is only dangerous in cities - and some not all, at least not all on the same level - due to a history of racism/oppression, gang violence, drugs, poverty, lacking values, etc. Europe was lucky to never have the race issues the US does because all of the imperialist countries' - Britain, France, Spain, Netherlands - slaves were in colonies and not the mainland. They never had what we did at home, it never directly affected them. These race issues correlate, unfortunately, to problems we see today.

The vast majority of the US is extremely safe. Of course on a nationwide scale stats will be skewed and make us worse than we are when we have places like Chicago.

And while the U.K., for example, doesn't have the gun violence we do, they have a big problem with knife violence (sounds weird but it's a thing).

It's funny because I have had foreigners ask me about how safe the US is (which is funny itself because of how huge this country is), fearing crime. I laugh because I am from the suburbs and it's extremely safe around here. Even NYC, my city, is pretty safe. I guess people tend to have this idea that the US is sooo dangerous, but it really depends on where you are. I have never once felt unsafe around where I'm from.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:32 PM

3,313 posts, read 1,943,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
It's called virtue signaling g. My complaining about this it makes them look "good".simple as that
Virtue signaling. That's a good name for it. While not taking responsibility for the poor outcome of bringing in these barbarians, the liberal democrats can "signal" to other liberals their deeply felt compassion and sorrow for the "refugees" thereby affirming their "solidarity" with their peer group.
Very similar to inner city gangs who "jump in" new members.
The pathology of the democrats is endlessly fascinating.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:35 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,778,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette118 View Post
It has no effect on my life.

I am an American citizen.

So am I. It still has a potential to affect me based on my employment. Contrary to what you may believe, American businesses and organizations and universities all can be potentially impacted by this. Many universities in particular have international students who would be denied entry. I saw a post by a student in a medical residency program with Cleveland Clinic who was denied entry back to the US after visiting her family. A large amount of our doctors/physicians are permanent residents. My father's doctor is also Persian/Iranian. In my area we have a lot of people of Middle Eastern heritage.

Where I worked in metro Atlanta has the largest concentration of Somali refugees/immigrants outside of MN. So there are areas where even if you are an American, it would effect your life.

Also many Americans are married to people from other countries. Contrary to what many believe, the spouses do not automatically becoming citizens of our country. There is a process that allows the spouse of an American to become a permanent resident but not all of them become citizens just because they are married to an American and this EO can cause issues with those families.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:36 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,478,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
Virtue signaling. That's a good name for it. While not taking responsibility for the poor outcome of bringing in these barbarians, the liberal democrats can "signal" to other liberals their deeply felt compassion and sorrow for the "refugees" thereby affirming their "solidarity" with their peer group.
Very similar to inner city gangs who "jump in" new members.
The pathology of the democrats is endlessly fascinating.
As I said in another thread, virtue signaling is an easy no-commitment way of offering meaningless platitudes to show fellow liberals that you are part of the tribe. Because nothing is as satisfying as feeling like you're a part of something that requires so little action on one's part.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
You keep saying this and it's true but misleading. The US pretty much is only dangerous in cities - and some not all, at least not all on the same level - due to a history of racism/oppression, gang violence, drugs, poverty, lacking values, etc.
Europe is safer than the U.S., period. Europe has lower crime in cities, suburbs and rural areas compared to the U.S. The "why" doesn't matter; fact is that Europe is safer, so anyone claiming "Europe is in chaos" because of refugees is just making up stuff.

Crime in Europe, just like in the U.S., is concentrated in certain inner city areas. I don't see why this is relevent - all crime counts in national comparisons.

Quote:
It's funny because I have had foreigners ask me about how safe the US is (which is funny itself because of how huge this country is), fearing crime. I laugh because I am from the suburbs and it's extremely safe around here. Even NYC, my city, is pretty safe. I guess people tend to have this idea that the US is sooo dangerous, but it really depends on where you are. I have never once felt unsafe around where I'm from.
I don't feel unsafe in the U.S., and I live in NYC (which is a very safe city for U.S. standards), so yes, people shouldn't make up silly caricatures of U.S. crime.

But it's even more ridiculous to claim that "Europe is in chaos because of Muslims, OMG!" when this is just silly nonsense. Europe is safe right now; one of the safest spots on the globe. Yes, there are issues, but they can be dealt with. No one needs to worry about a Muslim killing them on their next visit to Paris or whatever - the chance of that happening is infinitesimally small.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:44 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,925,853 times
^ I just don't consider the US as a whole "unsafe" or even use the whole big country as a point of comparison. I'd rather talk about specific areas. If a European were to ask me, how safe is the US, I would then ask, where are you going/which part are we talking? Even though there are statistics available it is far too large to generalize, especially if a nationwide crime rate is probably just going to lead people to freak out if they're coming from an overall safer country.

"The US is more dangerous than Europe" or "x European country" means nothing to me, as someone from a very safe state overall and a very very safe area within that state. My first question to someone would be, which part of the US are we talking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies