Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 12:24 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Meh, if they can figure out how I am going to vote from a few vacation, concert, and pictures of my kids, let them have at it.
They did it by harvesting the data from all of those stupid surveys that people take and post the results of. Like personality surveys and all that nonsense where you provide additional data via answers to questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 12:25 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
You can dump your FB account if it makes you feel safer, but from the sound of it, that's a little like closing the barn door after the cows have escaped.

Cambridge Analytica created psychological profiles of pretty much every Facebook user, and likely from there the users of other social media sites. They know what your trigger points are, and they played the American public (and the UK public too in Brexit) like fiddles. And they still have those profiles in their hot little hands.

This was much more than demographic profiling; this was psycho-social engineering.

No doubt in my mind that we're all victims of Cambridge Analytica's little experiment, in one form or another. Kogan (the Cambridge guy who developed this) has as much said so.

The only way to really protect yourself is to do your own research, using a variety of sources, and think for yourself.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:26 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
I have been planning my Facebook exit for some time now just because the novelty of it wore off a long time ago. The feed is so convoluted with news crap now and the majority of my friends just rant about things.

I miss the days before social media and portable devices were around. I say that and I work in the freaking IT world.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:28 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Facebooks actions with Cambridge analytica are hammering it. Toss in all the other uncertainty going on, and its dropping. Hard to predict whats going to occur next. It does seem over inflated, so I keep thinking a large drop will occur, but it keeps holding steady just bouncing around.

Wow!!!! a 1.5% drop in the market....hunker down!!

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
America--you've been hacked!
And all the way back to 2013!!!

Of course when Obama does it it's love, love, love but when Trump does it it's Russia, Russia, Russia!

FLASHBACK: Anti-Trump Rep. Touts Obama’s ‘Database’ With ‘Information About Everything On Every Individual’ [VIDEO]

Quote:
During a 2013 interview with Roland Martin, Congresswoman Maxine Waters propped up the Obama administration for “[putting] in place†a “database [that] will have information about everything on every individual.â€

“[Obama’s second inauguration] represented the beginning of his second term,†the ‘Washington Watch’ host first posed to the California Democrat. “But it also represented the countdown of the end of his presidency. The reality is, like anything else, you better get what you can while he’s there because, look come 2016, that’s it.â€
Video at link.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:29 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
They did it by harvesting the data from all of those stupid surveys that people take and post the results of. Like personality surveys and all that nonsense where you provide additional data via answers to questions.
And, as I said, you didn't even have to take their personality survey. They used that access to gather psychological information on the friends of friends of friends of the people who took the survey. They didn't just look at your family photos; they analyzed everything you've said, what you've liked, etc. And, it seems likely that it wasn't limited to Facebook, but included other social media sites as well.

Marketers have, of course, used demographic profiling since the 1980s. But this is a new level of individual psychological analysis AND targeting your fears that is pretty creepy.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:29 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Huh. Both campaigns use social media these days for political purposes
IIRC, Jared said in an interview during the transition that FB will send a person to help large users learn how to get better use from FB.

The Trump campaign had a person from FB come to their office to give them a tutorial.

IMO, the Rs made much better use of what was available than the Ds did.

But, Jared's brother was an early investor in Spotify. I thank him every day.

They are just that much younger than DWS to understand how to use technology. And they can envision how to adapt for specific situations.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:31 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
What's Facebook?

Old 03-19-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
And, as I said, you didn't even have to take their personality survey. They used that access to gather psychological information on the friends of friends of friends of the people who took the survey. They didn't just look at your family photos; they analyzed everything you've said, what you've liked, etc. And, it seems likely that it wasn't limited to Facebook, but included other social media sites as well.

Marketers have, of course, used demographic profiling since the 1980s. But this is a new level of individual psychological analysis AND targeting your fears that is pretty creepy.
At a minimum, I'm sure it included Instagram which they own, as well as WhatsApp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies