Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2018, 01:06 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
NASDAQ is down 2.25% right now.
Wow, that's terrible!

Do you realize that the money I put into the Nasdaq a year ago via my steady 401k contributions is now up only about 22% for the year?

The horror! The horror!

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.MtbKF6pBMMg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 01:06 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
nice backpedal there. Tread title is about the DOW in case you didnt have your reading glasses on.
No backpedal at all. I'm sorry you couldn't comprehend my meaning-which is why I clarified it for you. And as I pointed out, many are reporting it as a facebook driven sell off. I even provided a link. Let me guess, you didn't read that correctly either? Just in case you didnt have your reading glasses on you can go back to that post.

(ps this one kinda hurt...I actually DO have my reading glasses on lol)

Old 03-19-2018, 01:13 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
More about how politics is affecting the markets today:

Stock market rattled by Facebook, other worries

Investors apparently don't like the data privacy controversy engulfing Facebook. And that thumbs-down attitude is a big reason why shares of the social media giant, technology stocks and the broader market are down sharply Monday.

"A tecklash', or political backlash against the concentrated power and influence of leading U.S. technology companies, is building and gaining momentum," says Joe Quinlan, chief market strategist at U. S. Trust. "Investors fear that more regulation and political oversight is coming to 'Big Tech', a prospect that could impinge on future earnings."

Old 03-19-2018, 01:14 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
You mean like all of the early threads in this forum on how the stock market is booming because of Trump?

I mentioned three politics-related factors that pundits are pointing to as driving the market today, so this forum is a suitable place for discussion.

The moderators can move the thread if they feel it is more appropriate to discuss those three politics-related factors elsewhere.
Yes, I recognize that your sole purpose here is to try to kick at the stock market gains as reversing so as to weaken any claims by the Trump supporters.

FYI- political related rationale like interest rates are commonly found in the investing forum as would changes to tariffs, tax codes etc.

What isn't generally tolerated well over there is someone breathlessly reporting how a market that is up almost 25% in the past year is having a 2%, no wait, 1.9% no wait 2.25% correction on a given day.

For that, you would get laughed out of the place because they don't like to put up with such partisan silliness....which is why the Trump goobers started their threads here as well.

So, here we are in the political forum and now you can argue "less filling tastes great" with the people from the right and then let this fade away after a day or two.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:17 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
More about how politics is affecting the markets today:

Stock market rattled by Facebook, other worries

Investors apparently don't like the data privacy controversy engulfing Facebook. And that thumbs-down attitude is a big reason why shares of the social media giant, technology stocks and the broader market are down sharply Monday.

"A tecklash', or political backlash against the concentrated power and influence of leading U.S. technology companies, is building and gaining momentum," says Joe Quinlan, chief market strategist at U. S. Trust. "Investors fear that more regulation and political oversight is coming to 'Big Tech', a prospect that could impinge on future earnings."

Wall Street, Quinlan adds, is also worried about a related risk: "Rising digital protectionism, as more governments, like the European Union and China, clamp down on the monopolistic positions" of the big tech companies.
Honestly people have truly been underestimating the impact of tech and data analysis. Facebook LITERALLY knows your relationship is probably over WAY before either party does.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:18 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Those are likely factors, but shouldn't make too much off of one day (good or bad), and this is far from the drops and volatile trading we saw about 6 weeks ago
This is all the same drop. The market never recovered from 6 weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Did Cambridge Analytica/Facebook win the election for Trump? MERGED-drop.jpg  

Old 03-19-2018, 01:19 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes, I recognize that your sole purpose here is to try to kick at the stock market gains as reversing so as to weaken any claims by the Trump supporters.

FYI- political related rationale like interest rates are commonly found in the investing forum as would changes to tariffs, tax codes etc.

What isn't generally tolerated well over there is someone breathlessly reporting how a market that is up almost 25% in the past year is having a 2%, no wait, 1.9% no wait 2.25% correction on a given day.

For that, you would get laughed out of the place because they don't like to put up with such partisan silliness....which is why the Trump goobers started their threads here as well.

So, here we are in the political forum and now you can argue "less filling tastes great" with the people from the right and then let this fade away after a day or two.
So you disagree with the professional analysts then? Facebook's announcement about Cambridge Analytica has absolutely nothing to do with today's downward trend in tech stocks? And, also that Wall Street isn't worried about the likely Fed rate increase on Friday?

Both are related to political events (and not necessarily the President). So, political events are affecting today's market whether you want to admit it or not.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:20 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Wow! 400 point drop on the Dow Today!
Unfortunately these 400-500 point swings are becoming the norm. Investors are nervous in this environment.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:22 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Those are likely factors, but shouldn't make too much off of one day (good or bad), and this is far from the drops and volatile trading we saw about 6 weeks ago
The one day trend is not necessarily relevant but the fact we have stalled -- basically where we started three months ago -- even with the BIG TAX CUTS for corporations may be of some concern.

It is still high though. Still gains in the last year.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
IMHO,

1. The Tech companies will, to a large degree, regulate themselves. This was a "sin of omission" which has to do with a bad actor (Mercer - the billionaire who started Breitbard, finances Bannon and owns C. Analytics) - who took advantage of something which was for internal research. It would be like a Billionaire buying his way into Big Pharma and grabbing cast off drugs that the FDA turned down...and using them to his advantage.

2. Considering that we have a POTUS who promised to remove 10,000 regulations for every new one, what are the odds of the tech industry being highly regulated? (note - I definitely exaggerated the claim...but you get the idea)...

If there is one good thing about the 2016 election it is that it is ending up exposing a lot of shenanigans. Oh, Russia is involved in this one also (Lukoil). So for those who think that Russia/Bannon/Trump/Mercer are not in league with Russian Oligarchs, here's another piece of evidence.

Trump-linked data firm met with Russian executives: report | TheHill

Mercer/Bannon Right Wing billionaires taking what isn't theirs and then giving it to others...specific others??? Pretty evident what is going down. A government by the Minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies