Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 11:23 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
the complaint is that republicans found a way to kind of sort of do something similar (but on a vastly smaller scale) to what the democrats had been doing since 2008.
Similar in the sense that the Democrats built a database comprised of allegedly stolen data?

If so, please provide some evidence of same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 11:24 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My IP address is not linked to my email address, the only thing you can find out with an IP address is the general location of the computer I'm using, try it with your own IP address: What's My IP Address? - Obsolete Browser Page

Your ISP has the information but they can't just randomly give it out:

It is important to note that cable provider ISPs are subject to the Cable Privacy Act, 47 U.S.C. § 551. This statute prohibits entities from releasing any personally identifying subscriber information, absent a court order or subscriber consent. Thus, a party attempting to subpoena a cable provider ISP for documents containing subscriber information must first file a motion with the relevant court requesting an order permitting the cable company to disclose the requested information.

https://www.vorys.com/publications-1843.html
It's not exactly true then that your ISP can't give out information about you. If they can do it with a court order, then that means it's readily available. We've seen that CA was able to circumvent Facebook's supposed "rules" so who's to say with certainty that a company, government, or individual can't hack your ISP in a similar way, or other way, and get at it?

The fact is, we're all googling our names checking out what is available on us. That doesn't, however, tell us what information about us has already been scraped, analyzed, and used by nefarious actors. We simply don't know what is known about us. And that includes ALL of us.

Just look at the Equifax breach. It wouldn't take much for a bunch of smart crooks to cross reference that data with your ISP account and voila, all is revealed. And, yet, a "google search" won't turn up that particular corner of the dark web to show you what is known and being tracked about you and your family.

If there's a deep state, that's it.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:24 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
To clarify your post, the article states that cybersecurity consultants, hired by Facebook to audit Cambridge, were in Cambridge’s offices Monday evening until they were thrown out by the the British information commissioner. The commissioner is applying to the courts for a search warrant.
Reads to me that Facebook breached their earlier agreement to better protect private info. The Brits are concerned that they will destroy evidence before they can get to it.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:25 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,625,642 times
17 pages of thread later, and still we are arguing about marketing? That's all this is...marketing. Google, Amazon, FB all do it, and the same strats they used got used for targeted marketing in an election, which itself goes back before we even had computers.

Apparently, marketing makes us all helpless automatons, commanded by our marketing strat overlords to do their evil bidding....duhm duhm duhm!!!!

So much stupid with this "will never accept people think different from me" line of denial thinking.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:25 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Similar in the sense that the Democrats built a database comprised of allegedly stolen data?

If so, please provide some evidence of same.
oh we get it. You guys can do whatever. Republicans are evil if they figure out how to approximate....

totally understand.

to quote one of the insiders on the matter "we have the data and the repubcans don't have it. In fact they CANNOT GET IT"

Old 03-20-2018, 11:27 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
They didn't steal anything. They had permission to take it.
Cambridge Analytica had permission to access the data for 270,000 FB users.

They didn't have permission to then access their 50 million friends.

So, yes, CA didn't steal anything from those first users without their permission. But they did from the other 50 million who did not give permission because they were never asked for it.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:28 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
17 pages of thread later, and still we are arguing about marketing? That's all this is...marketing. Google, Amazon, FB all do it, and the same strats they used got used for targeted marketing in an election, which itself goes back before we even had computers.

Apparently, marketing makes us all helpless automatons, commanded by our marketing strat overlords to do their evil bidding....duhm duhm duhm!!!!

So much stupid with this "will never accept people think different from me" line of denial thinking.
well, what we are arguing about is the outrage of the left upon finding out republicans might have done a small amount of marketing that they thought they had exclusive access to.

THAT is what this is about. Republicans aren't allowed to play by the rules that democrats have created for themselves. When that happens democrats all the sudden start talking about "morality" (like they ever once in their collective lives cared about the word "morality")

Old 03-20-2018, 11:31 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
you failed to address a single point, and instead you attempt to divert .

My question to you is. How does it feel to know that Trump's team manipulated you using every bit of psychological profiling they could build. 220 million Adult Americans were deeply profiled..

Cambridge provided the granular data that was used to place adverts on Facebook and every other website where you are tracked. Each ad was tailored to you and your beliefs. They know almost exactly who you are in terms of emotions, values, needs and desires.

The adverts you saw were purposely intended to press your buttons, hit no matter the content. If you hate non whites, he showed you ads that would inflame that and promise to help you. if they figured you had high health costs they hit you endlessly with ACA /Obamacare and how it would hurt you and yours if let stand.

so my point is you were sold a very granular lie. I lie just for you, but don't worry he targeted me too, well at least if they thought I could be shifted from Hillary voter to not voting if that was the best they could do.

You were manipulated, fooled, beguiled . sweet talked, frightened, promised work, promised appeal of xyz .

Whatever your buttons are they were pressing them daily . using every scrap of psychological profiling they could build.
It doesn't bother me at all unless the data was illegally obtained. This is the way the internet marketing works and campaigns always use whatever demographics they can.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:32 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How many people know about these websites? That's the point. I finished my masters last year and we were talking about identify theft....I brought up spokeo and half the kids were amazed at what they could find on themselves....
I would expect that most people would figure it out if they ever googled their own name.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:32 AM

267 posts, read 122,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Is the complaint about Trump using the data or the company that stole the data from Facebook and Facebook not securing the data?

I'm confused...lol.
Everybody is complaining and blaming each other

Congress blames FB for violating its users’ privacy
FB blames CA for not deleting the data after FB asked them to do so
CA says they’re innocent, that they deleted the data when asked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies