Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2018, 06:14 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Long before Facebook there was campaign advertising.
If the advertising wasn’t effective, campaigns wouldn’t spend millions on targeted ad buys.

To think that being exposed to ads on Facebook or other social media is somehow different than being exposed via television or radio or newspaper or mailers is just silly.
Same crap different delivery system. If people cannot see that they are being pandered to and do their own research then we get what we get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 06:14 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
If the advertising wasn’t effective, campaigns wouldn’t spend millions on targeted ad buys.

To think that being exposed to ads on Facebook or other social media is somehow different than being exposed via television or radio or newspaper or mailers is just silly.
Back then, people did not have the ability to research as we do today....again, if people take what they see at face value...well, that's on them.....

Just as posted earlier, this web site stated in the TOS said they can sell what you say....

Old 03-20-2018, 06:17 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
Quote:

Exactly. That’s ehay Hillary’s multi billion dollar campaign did

Old 03-20-2018, 06:18 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
people who voted for Stein are probably Bernie or Busters. Was Bernie's popularity also the result of the Russians and Cambridge Analytica?
I was Bernie. Still got the bumper stickers, haha, in case he comes back. I would never have voted for Stein. Many of the Bernie or busters though were angry about what they learned in DNC emails stolen and leaked by Russian interests along with an unrelenting campaign to exaggerate and distort their significance. In any case, my sister claims the main reason she went with Stein versus Clinton was that everyone said Clinton was a shoo-in in her state, so she voted her heart (my sister is a Commie!). Had she realized it would be so close, she would not have done that. Can't blame that on the Russians, I don't think.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:19 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I was Bernie. Still got the bumper stickers, haha, in case he comes back. I would never have voted for Stein. In any case, my sister claims the main reason she went with Stein versus Clinton was that everyone said Clinton was a shoo-in in her state, so she voted her heart (my sister is a Commie!). Had she realized it would be so close, she would not have done that. Can't blame that on the Russians, I don't think.

Uh, it was Liberals and talking heads that said Hillary was a shoe in. Finally taking responsib Pity eh?

Old 03-20-2018, 06:55 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I suspect some people believe what they see as face value....like "pizza gate" and the "russian peeing hookers."
Agreed.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:09 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,130 times
FB may also be facing millions of dollars in fines if it is found to have violated a 2011 consent decree reached with the Federal Trade Commission’s Bureau of Consumer Protection limiting the release of information to third parties.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-us-professor

Well so far the penalty to shareholders for allowing itself to be a tool for fake news generated by Trump has been $50 billion.

That is $1000 for each of the 50 million profiles.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:09 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
So Obama does the same thing on an even larger scale, with the approval of Facebook, and is considered a genius. But when the Trump camp does it it's considered criminal? Facebook exists to return a profit, to return that profit they harvest data to sell. Most people using FB understand that they are voluntarily giving their data to a corporation and in return they are getting the ability to connect with friends and family on demand. FB better tread lightly because their user base is generally older and more conservative than other social media outlets if these people feel that their data is being used against them politically they will stop using the platform.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
FB may also be facing millions of dollars in fines if it is found to have violated a 2011 consent decree reached with the Federal Trade Commission’s Bureau of Consumer Protection limiting the release of information to third parties.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-us-professor

Well so far the penalty to shareholders for allowing itself to be a tool for fake news generated by Trump has been $50 billion.

That is $1000 for each of the 50 million profiles.
If this is tied to Cambridge Analytica, they shouldn't be on the hook because it was a third party app. This is like blaming Nintendo for a failure on the power glove when that was really a Mattel produced item that was only licensed by Nintendo.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:16 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:

Russia.
Russia.
Russia.
Illegal use of data provided for internal research.

Why do I have to keep reminding people what the problems are/were here? They are not marketing or voter targeting They have to do with breaking the law and/or contracts as well as dealing with foreigners concerning swaying an election.

Simple. Yet millions of words are being written that don't seem to understand the main point here.

Lukoil - giant oligarch (Putin-approved and connected) Oil Company involved.

I feel that maybe, if I repeat things, some may understand the situation a bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies