Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 02:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Wikipedia is untrustworthy as a source. It's primary benefactor is George Soros. Do you really think you're getting unbiased articles? If you think so, take a look at what they write about certain conservatives, which they call "conspiracy theorists," "homophobes," "Islamophobes," etc. Does that sound unbiased and is using such terms professional for something that likes to think of itself as an online encyclopedia? And what is their source for these articles? None other than the Southern Poverty Law Center, another Soros funded organization! One hand washes the other.
It's as good as it gets.

One imagines that if you read the World Book you would say it was biased because it spoke badly of the Nazis.

Wikipedia is not flawless, but there are certainly a LOT of footnotes, links, checking, etc.

It's as good as it gets...in an era of "fake news"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 02:37 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Default Now for some humor--

'I'm Sorry, Dave

Old 03-24-2018, 03:19 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Wikipedia is untrustworthy as a source. It's primary benefactor is George Soros. Do you really think you're getting unbiased articles? If you think so, take a look at what they write about certain conservatives, which they call "conspiracy theorists," "homophobes," "Islamophobes," etc. Does that sound unbiased and is using such terms professional for something that likes to think of itself as an online encyclopedia? And what is their source for these articles? None other than the Southern Poverty Law Center, another Soros funded organization! One hand washes the other.
Wikipedia was not his only source go back and take another look at the article,

And I know this is probably a big shock to you but anyone can edit a wikipedia article; you, me George Soros even Donald Trump so this nonsense about a wikipedia bias against conservatives is just horse poop. If you don't like what someone said about one your conservative heroes, then go edit the article, it's really that simple.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:35 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And I know this is probably a big shock to you but anyone can edit a wikipedia article; you, me George Soros even Donald Trump so this nonsense about a wikipedia bias against conservatives is just horse poop. If you don't like what someone said about one your conservative heroes, then go edit the article, it's really that simple.
Well, there are standards for contributions that are enforced, like supplying credible references.

It's always amusing to hear people trivially discard Wikipedia articles, ignoring the long list of references at the end. It's like, "which one of those 50 references did you disagree with?"

Old 03-24-2018, 03:41 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Well, there are standards for contributions that are enforced, like supplying credible references.

It's always amusing to hear people trivially discard Wikipedia articles, ignoring the long list of references at the end. It's like, "which one of those 50 references did you disagree with?"
Exactly, I think I have the list mostly memorized since I see it so much.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:54 PM

267 posts, read 121,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
lol

Old 03-24-2018, 04:19 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Fair enough about Wikipedia. I myself always try to use Wikileaks as a starting point, and thenconfirm what I read on Wikipedia with other sources.

For instance, the information about Lukoil working with Cambridge Analytica comes from two employees of Cambridge Analytica. The information about the executives of Lukoil can be easily confirmed on the company's website (and sites such as Bloomberg). And, the information about the two Lukoil executives being placed on the U.S. Department of Treasury's list of Russia oligarchs under consideration for sanctions related to the 2016 elections comes from the U.S. Department of Treasury (which by the way, is run by Wilbur Ross, who is hardly a progressive himself).

So, if you want to question the information in the Wikipedia link I or any one else provided, perhaps one approach might be to actually provide additional factual sources of information from unbiased sources yourself that show why it isn't true. That would be much productive to the conversation than just dismissing everything as coming from George Soros, don't you think?

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-24-2018 at 04:28 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 04:49 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Is this the Russian who was involved with the NRA efforts in Russia---who had contact with John Bolton when he went there to lobby for NRA?
Not sure, but here is a 2004 article about Alekperov, Putin and Lukoil:

The Triumph of the Quiet Tycoon

A few quotes from the article:

''It is impossible to divide the interest of a country and a company that works on its soil,'' he said. ''Our interests are the same. What's good for Russia is good for the company.''

''Politics are close to me, but there are different ways of participating in politics,'' Alekperov told me during a talk in his office on a recent Saturday morning. ''I can't afford to be indifferent to politics, but I don't have personal ambitions. I have only one task connected with politics, to help the country and the company. "

Old 03-24-2018, 05:06 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,262 times
It is amazing how fast this case has gone. The facts about CA using FB data we're first reported in December 2015 in this article...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...P=share_btn_tw

Yet the raid upon CA offices to examine if they were improperly using FB data finally took place yesterday after CA had two years to erase their tracks.

It of course took television to break the story into a format that the average person can become outraged about.

I guess the saying that if the crime doesn't happen on video it isn't true applies.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:15 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Fair enough about Wikipedia. I myself always try to use Wikileaks as a starting point, and thenconfirm what I read on Wikipedia with other sources.

For instance, the information about Lukoil working with Cambridge Analytica comes from two employees of Cambridge Analytica. The information about the executives of Lukoil can be easily confirmed on the company's website (and sites such as Bloomberg). And, the information about the two Lukoil executives being placed on the U.S. Department of Treasury's list of Russia oligarchs under consideration for sanctions related to the 2016 elections comes from the U.S. Department of Treasury (which by the way, is run by Wilbur Ross, who is hardly a progressive himself).

So, if you want to question the information in the Wikipedia link I or any one else provided, perhaps one approach might be to actually provide additional factual sources of information from unbiased sources yourself that show why it isn't true. That would be much productive to the conversation than just dismissing everything as coming from George Soros, don't you think?
Yeah what she says!

It is amazing Conservatives blame everything on the one big liberal donor. They want us to ignore all the billionaires who are actively pushing their agenda.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...aradise-papers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies