Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:38 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times

Advertisements

FT , Vice, and others are running a story that appears to be true.

It looks like Cambridge Analytica used advanced big data and extremely granular profiling of 220 million US adults to manipulate the emotions of each and every American in order to win.

To get votes, they created personalized advertisements, images, stories etc to target exactly that person or household. Religious folk and pro-lifers saw one thing, while racists another. Those who were concerned primarily about employment saw the promise of jobs each advert was custom tailored to the profile of the person at the keyboard. And they were tailored down to the most tiny detail, color of text, background, verbiage etc. A religious racist without a job, saw exactly and heard exactly what the software suggested they would want to hear.

But it gets worse, the same software identified every single US Adult that might vote for Hillary and targeted them with the same precision, to suppress democratic voter turn out. If you were a left leaning pro lifer you saw images and words that made you think Hillary was bad.

It is an entirely new technique , it does not use demographics and instead profiles each household based on vast amounts of data that US law allows them to collect.. right down to the smallest and most boring details in order to very accurately predict your motivations and how to manipulate you. Maybe it is time to stop "liking" very thing you see on Facebook, and maybe people on both side might want to "opt out" instead of defaulting to give away everything that makes you who you are to people who will use it to get you to do what they want without you even knowing..

This was the same company that swung the British vote to leave the EU. and it is suspected this software is being used to swing other elections. The gentleman who wrote it appears to be dismayed to find his work has been abused

The Data That Turned the World Upside Down | Motherboard

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...e-u-s-election (added to show another view)

I am left wondering how we can even have free and fair elections in the face of such tremendous power. How can we trust ourselves when we know every image, every thought is being filtered sorted and filed. it is a plot pulled straight out of George Orwell's 1984.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 12:04 PM

I am betting Alt Rights want this to go away. They know in their gut it is true and hate that they were tricked , used like cattle, just as the left was too.

We all got conned, Bannon is pulling the strings, and the only winners are the alt right extremists who want to watch the USA burn

Old 01-29-2017, 12:23 PM

just noticed that a member of Trump's team has joined Cambridge , I guess he believes they are the future...

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/trumps...committee-cto/

Old 01-29-2017, 12:42 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
FT , Vice, and others are running a story that appears to be true.

It looks like Cambridge Analytica used advanced big data and extremely granular profiling of 220 million US adults to manipulate the emotions of each and every American in order to win.

To get votes, they created personalized advertisements, images, stories etc to target exactly that person or household. Religious folk and pro-lifers saw one thing, while racists another. Those who were concerned primarily about employment saw the promise of jobs each advert was custom tailored to the profile of the person at the keyboard. And they were tailored down to the most tiny detail, color of text, background, verbiage etc. A religious racist without a job, saw exactly and heard exactly what the software suggested they would want to hear.

But it gets worse, the same software identified every single US Adult that might vote for Hillary and targeted them with the same precision, to suppress democratic voter turn out. If you were a left leaning pro lifer you saw images and words that made you think Hillary was bad.

It is an entirely new technique , it does not use demographics and instead profiles each household based on vast amounts of data that US law allows them to collect.. right down to the smallest and most boring details in order to very accurately predict your motivations and how to manipulate you. Maybe it is time to stop "liking" very thing you see on Facebook, and maybe people on both side might want to "opt out" instead of defaulting to give away everything that makes you who you are to people who will use it to get you to do what they want without you even knowing..

This was the same company that swung the British vote to leave the EU. and it is suspected this software is being used to swing other elections. The gentleman who wrote it appears to be dismayed to find his work has been abused

The Data That Turned the World Upside Down | Motherboard

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...e-u-s-election (added to show another view)

I am left wondering how we can even have free and fair elections in the face of such tremendous power. How can we trust ourselves when we know every image, every thought is being filtered sorted and filed. it is a plot pulled straight out of George Orwell's 1984.
Someone (could have been anyone) sent Podesta a request for his password which apparently was "password", and since the site appeared to be legitimate, he complied.

It was a classic phishing scam resulting in ten years of Podesta's e-mails being made available to WikiLeaks.

Not really a big problem except that the e-mails confirmed the behind the scenes election tampering so many, including primary opponent Bernie Sanders, had suspected.

The backlash from the revelations resulted in the forced resignation of "dirty" Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and the firing from CNN of Donna Brazil.

Meanwhile, Hillary had state secrets on a homebrew server that everyone and their ugly aunt Tilly likely hacked, but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

So the problem, as you apparently see it, isn't that Team Hillary was trying to steal an election, but that her team's efforts to steal an election were disclosed to the voting public.

Doesn't really sell in Kansas, does it?

OK, Russian intelligence hacked the election!

The real parallel here is between Ingsoc's Inner Party with all it's secrets and manipulation of the truth and the Clinton campaign and the Clinton friendly news media.

Goldstein (perhaps Assange) has betrayed the revolution by doing nothing more than revealing the truth.

To say we dodged a bullet by not electing Hillary is a huge understatement.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-20-2018 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 01-29-2017, 12:56 PM

you failed to address a single point, and instead you attempt to divert .

My question to you is. How does it feel to know that Trump's team manipulated you using every bit of psychological profiling they could build. 220 million Adult Americans were deeply profiled..

Cambridge provided the granular data that was used to place adverts on Facebook and every other website where you are tracked. Each ad was tailored to you and your beliefs. They know almost exactly who you are in terms of emotions, values, needs and desires.

The adverts you saw were purposely intended to press your buttons, hit no matter the content. If you hate non whites, he showed you ads that would inflame that and promise to help you. if they figured you had high health costs they hit you endlessly with ACA /Obamacare and how it would hurt you and yours if let stand.

so my point is you were sold a very granular lie. I lie just for you, but don't worry he targeted me too, well at least if they thought I could be shifted from Hillary voter to not voting if that was the best they could do.

You were manipulated, fooled, beguiled . sweet talked, frightened, promised work, promised appeal of xyz .

Whatever your buttons are they were pressing them daily . using every scrap of psychological profiling they could build.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:02 PM

29,792 posts, read 24,876,501 times
What laws were broken?

Old 01-29-2017, 01:04 PM

1,160 posts, read 712,450 times
wait, I thought it was Russia that swung the election ?!?

Old 01-29-2017, 01:09 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,648,952 times
Quote:
Someone (could have been anyone) sent Podesta a request for his password which apparently was "password", and since the site appeared to be legitimate, he complied.

Is this misinformation still being repeated?

Quote:
Podesta was using a Gmail account, and Google doesn’t allow users to make their passwords "password."

Old 01-29-2017, 01:11 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,065,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
wait, I thought it was Russia that swung the election ?!?
No. It was Cambridge Analytica. They profiled and manipulated 220 million people to vote for Trump. I guess only 63 million of them "took" but that's not the point. We were brainwashed. Next week we'll hear another story about what gullible, racist idiots we all were. But stay with the damned program Domitian - it was Cambridge Analytica. The OP said so.

And just as I predicted, the angry ladies have been already been tossed aside for the angry Muslims. Next week white privilege will be back in the news because we'll be reminded about the systemic racism against African Americans in this country. The week after that we'll hear another story about how we're breaking up Hispanic families (complete with picture of cute little 6 year old Hispanic boy). The ladies will have to wait until they come back into rotation. Try and keep up Domitian. Try and keep up.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What laws were broken?
Well if you are taking about Cambridge none. But if you value yourself, if you don't like being manipulated to act and think a certain way without even be aware of it, than it is a problem.

If you don't mind being trained like a dog , and don't mind a wealthy group of plutocrats directing your anger, your desires and your beliefs, than their is nothing for you to be concerned about and you may return continue to bleat as you have been directed. And don't for a second believe I think I am immune, I fully get that Trump tried very hard to get me to believe Hillary is a bad person, in fact I had wondered how they were hitting people so exactly up until I discovered this. You may not get it Andy but this is bigger than the election, this sort of data mining makes Orwell look naïve ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies