Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:46 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I don't think there is any debate that Democrats control the "urban" centers in places such as Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc. But these places no longer decide elections.

Elections are decided by the vast middle & working class, and they have decidedly turned away from the Democrats. They also by wide margin have abandoned these "urban centers" of overpriced gentrified neighborhoods and slums. Nothing there for them.
LOL...who cares about elections.

It's all amount $$$ at the end of the day...and being in the 1%
At the end of the day, elites will always be fine because no one is going to come after them.
So the goal is to make money and elections are secondary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 10:40 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The problem with that is most liberals live in a very small handful of states.
While the margin of victory in California and New York will get even bigger, winning by an extra 10M in California is meaningless.
A very liberal friend from Kansas wanted to move to a blue place. She was complaining that there are very few potions available to her, mostly unaffordable crowded cities or terrible places to live. Even in California, the affordable places (inland) are pretty much red. I told her there are some options on the east coast, but she was hoping for someplace warm, affordable and uncrowded. Couldn't help her.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:25 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Honestly, I see just the opposite happening. And I think compassion will win out in the end. If we don't have compassion and empathy towards other human beings then we have lost our soul. I don't know if you are christian, but I am. And any christian who agrees with Trump on this, is not a true christian.
Not enough rep points in the world!

Old 01-30-2017, 11:26 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,637,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
A very liberal friend from Kansas wanted to move to a blue place. She was complaining that there are very few potions available to her, mostly unaffordable crowded cities or terrible places to live. Even in California, the affordable places (inland) are pretty much red. I told her there are some options on the east coast, but she was hoping for someplace warm, affordable and uncrowded. Couldn't help her.
I grew up in rural KS and now live in the Bay Area. I'm a libertarian who voted for Romney in this most recent election

CA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KS

Old 01-30-2017, 11:49 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,641,987 times
Democrats will eventually win again. You can be emotional and think this, but come on, gotta be realistic every now and then.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Leader of Democrat party, Chuck Schumer, cries on National TV.

Tears for a few people detained at airports.

I see more of that "Blue Wall" coming down.

After 4 years of Trump we'll see how relevant the Democrat party will be.I suspect the pendulum will swing the other way and we'll be asking the question can the Republican party survive.
At the moment the Republicans have everything they need to improve America,the house/the senate/the Presidency and an upcoming majority on the Supreme Court.IMO with all that power just watch em screw it all up.
From my perspective to date all they are doing is whining about Obama and Hillary,Trying to build a wall banning immigration,cutting healthcare, tearing up all the trade deals and hating on any one who voices an opposing viewpoint..

Old 01-30-2017, 12:24 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
After 4 years of Trump we'll see how relevant the Democrat party will be.I suspect the pendulum will swing the other way and we'll be asking the question can the Republican party survive.
At the moment the Republicans have everything they need to improve America,the house/the senate/the Presidency and an upcoming majority on the Supreme Court.IMO with all that power just watch em screw it all up.
From my perspective to date all they are doing is whining about Obama and Hillary,Trying to build a wall banning immigration,cutting healthcare, tearing up all the trade deals and hating on any one who voices an opposing viewpoint..
Nope lots of jobs happening in 2017, Democrats are done for many years sorry señor. Better learn how to make your own tacos no imported maids for you. The oil and gas industry is already predicting a great year. There's multiple factories and processing plants being built in my part of the country.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:57 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,942,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is exactly why the democrats/liberals may keep losing. The democratic party (and the liberal cause) has become the party of arrogance, derision, condescension, name calling. They are incapable of listening. They are incapable of considering even the remotest possibility that anyone's opinion or world view that does not match theirs exactly in every regard could possibly have any merit. Their current approach to discussion is to belittle those who disagree with them (or even fail to agree with them vehemently enough) shout them down, shut them up any way possible. So, people shut up. Then when it comes time to vote, they say "Not those A holes"

People overemphasize the importance of the president. A president is more a figurehead than anything else. The scope of their duties are fairly limited. They cannot do a whole lot without support of congress. In any event, local leaders (Governor, Township supervisor, Judge) have far more impact on most regular individual's lives than the president. Thus it is not the nearly equal division of the presidential race that should be getting our attention it is the fact that republicans/conservatives swept this country at nearly every level. Ignore the presidential election entirety. This election was a disaster for democrats/liberals. There is a message there. I do not think the message is this country is populated by deplorables. I think it is "we are sick of your BS - straighten up"

I really do hope the dems/liberals get their act together. I hope they realize they are only winning those already won to their cause with their current rhetoric and driving away those in the middle. It is time to listen and to compromise. not time to name call, deride, belittle, squash, blast, impugn, and shame people into silence. Silent people vote against you.

I like balance. Our government is currently out of balance. That would be OK since it would re-set the imbalance from 2008 - 2012, but we also have a president who does not understand what he is doing and he is apparently being advised by people who either do not understand or do not care about unintended consequences. Congress seems unwilling to support/guide the president, or to oppose him/rein him in. They are simply sitting aside waiting to see what happens.

I would like to see better balance restored, but on the other hand, the way the dems/liberals are treating anyone who is not 100% on board on every issue, I am also disgusted with them. I am in the middle but conservative leaning. Sometimes I can be convinced to vote for/support democrats/liberals. However at present I am leaning so far I am about to fall over. The kind of close minded, inconsiderate, non-productive rhetoric like "You beliefs are garbage" or you are racist, bigoted, hypocritical, anti christian etc if you do not agree with me in every regard, make me abhor the left right now. Even if I liked a democratic candidate, I would be reluctant to support them because I want nothing to do with what I see from the left right now and do not want to give this tactic any credibility. Do you honestly believe 60 plus million people are horrid racists/bigot hypocrites? Have you talked things through with them without attacking, or trying to shut down their opinions and silence them? Do you actually understand them and their perspective? Let me answer for you. If you believe what is written in the post above, the answer is no. You have not done that and you do not understand. There is merit in the positions of both sides. Most people on the right a smart, decent caring people. In fact they are just as smart, decent and caring as the left. Their positions have merit and are thought out. No, the silly extremists shown in media and facebook on either side are not the norm for either party. Without understanding the merit, you cannot understand the people, and you cannot win them over.

One good example, I keep hearing how puzzled people are. Why would the poor states vote against the party who will give them more government support? Don't they want free health care? Don't they want better welfare benefits? They must be misinformed. They must be not as smart or wise as we liberal leaders are. People have spent years studying this and trying to figure out why someone would vote against their own best interests. The studies come out with all kinds of absurd conclusions. "It is deep issues" "They simply do not understand what is best for them" "They have been misled, brainwashed, they are misguided" What a waste of resources. The studies are wrong. Ask the people, do not study them, DO not assume you know more than they do about what is best for them or what their motives are.

They are not misinformed, liberals are. Liberals have failed to listen. To open their minds to anything other than their perceptions. These people do not want free government health care, free welfare benefits. Free college, free government cell phones, free government supplied cable, or internet. They want jobs so they can earn these things for themselves.

Hillary promised more free stuff from the government. Liberals thought this is great, we know what is best for the working class masses. They will all vote for Hillary.

Trump promised more good jobs so people can earn the stuff they want. Regardless of who could actually deliver either thing, Trump was promising what people wanted and Hillary was promising what liberals thought poor people should want, but don't. Wake up liberals. Other people are not as dumb as you think they are and you are not as smart as you think you are. You are not elite, not superior thinkers, not less evil, less corrupt, more wise, better informed, more in tune with truth - you are lost in your own little world and out of touch. Please change that if you are capable, Please get your act together, learn to respect others and restore the balance - not by blunt force, but by finding where you agree with potential middle voters and where you can offer what they want. Please restore the balance by listening to, respecting, and realizing the people in the middle, even the poor people are just as wise, smart, and perceptive as you are.

Thank you.
Fantastic post. You said exactly what I have been thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies