Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your position on Trump's travel ban:
I support the travel ban. 229 55.99%
I am against the travel ban. 110 26.89%
I support making modifications to the travel ban. 70 17.11%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 06:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why should I be lonely?

OHHH...you think one's opinions should be fodder for exclusion from peer groups.

What a silly man, jim.
No, not at all... There's room in every group (or should be) for even the craziest of opinions! Heck, I've got friends who think there's planes flying over spraying us with chemicals, that people can talk to the dead or aliens through sideband radio, in-between radio channels and I've even had friends that actually were convinced that there are black trains sitting on rail heads ready to take people to concentration camps in within the U.S......
Hey, they've got some real doozies as ideas, we don't exclude them though they are alone in their "world" of loony thoughts getting a sympathetic smile and of course a few ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 06:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No, not at all... There's room in every group (or should be) for even the craziest of opinions! Heck, I've got friends who think there's planes flying over spraying us with chemicals, that people can talk to the dead or aliens through sideband radio, in-between radio channels and I've even had friends that actually were convinced that there are black trains sitting on rail heads ready to take people to concentration camps in within the U.S......
Hey, they've got some real doozies as ideas, we don't exclude them though they are alone in their "world" of loony thoughts getting a sympathetic smile and of course a few ...
I don't exclude people from my peer groups who can't understand the difference between fact and unfounded opinion either.
Glad we agree on this!

Old 02-06-2017, 06:57 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Well, here is a FACT:
The travel ban was perfectly legal, according to the laws of the United States!
The only thing trump could have, and likely should have, done was incorporate this into the EO:

"(f) Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by President Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate. Whenever the Attorney General finds that a commercial airline has failed to comply with regulations of the Attorney General relating to requirements of airlines for the detection of fraudulent documents used by passengers traveling to the United States (including the training of personnel in such detection), the Attorney General may suspend the entry of some or all aliens transported to the United States by such airline."

That is a direct cut-and-paste from 8 USC 1182. "USC", for those who are not familiar with the acronym, stands for "United States Code", the laws we are supposed to live by. If trump had incorporated that into the text of his EO, it would have removed all doubt about the legality of his action!
Given what has transpired since the EO was established, he most assuredly shoulda done it!

Old 02-06-2017, 07:03 AM

27,568 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If trump had incorporated that into the text of his EO, it would have removed all doubt about the legality of his action!
Unless, of course, a person is politically motivated to think that Donald Trump is an illegitimate President.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:35 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Well, here is a FACT:
The travel ban was perfectly legal, according to the laws of the United States!
The only thing trump could have, and likely should have, done was incorporate this into the EO:

"(f) Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by President Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate. Whenever the Attorney General finds that a commercial airline has failed to comply with regulations of the Attorney General relating to requirements of airlines for the detection of fraudulent documents used by passengers traveling to the United States (including the training of personnel in such detection), the Attorney General may suspend the entry of some or all aliens transported to the United States by such airline."

That is a direct cut-and-paste from 8 USC 1182. "USC", for those who are not familiar with the acronym, stands for "United States Code", the laws we are supposed to live by. If trump had incorporated that into the text of his EO, it would have removed all doubt about the legality of his action!
Given what has transpired since the EO was established, he most assuredly shoulda done it!
You can't ban permanent residents. You must comply with Due Process when revoking visas for people who already have them or when changing regulations--and Equal Protection. And the "minority religions" piece raises 1st Amendment questions. And then there's the implementation. From search and seizure issues to right to counsel, the chaos the Administration unleashed invited judicial scrutiny.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:07 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:

Yeah, I see all hell breaking lose. Scientists, people needing medical care, U>S> military informants, people holding green cards, a painter, s student, a bride coming into America...its just been awful.

The most terrifying thing I have seen is The Donald trying to stir up fear with the deplorables by saying "Blame Judge and Courts if America is attacked".

No mention that the fatal attackers have come from countries where The Donald does business...the worst being Saudi Arabia, which is not on the Muslim Ban list. That would be one of those "real" facts as compared with Donald's "alternative facts".

Old 02-06-2017, 12:32 PM

778 posts, read 339,479 times
Doesn't go far enough, but it is a start. We are entitled to know who is coming into our country just as every other nation is entitled to know who is entering theirs!

Old 02-06-2017, 01:50 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
Doesn't go far enough, but it is a start. We are entitled to know who is coming into our country just as every other nation is entitled to know who is entering theirs!
We know more about the people who would be blocked than we do about US citizens. For decades we have been issuing these people visas & permanent residency.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:09 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
I trust the polling here, more than I do the Fake News......
Every serious poll that has been taken here, we have been spot on.

Even the election results polling done here was right in line how it turned out to be.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:16 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
No surprises here. More confirmation that the CD politics forum is predominantly Trump supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies